Tales of an Owner/Operator

dkasper00

Tales of an Owner/Operator

#1 Post by dkasper00 » 12 Dec 2017 04:14

Please bear with me, haven't done anything like this before.

This story is about a son, Michael who is left to operate the small company his recently departed father left him on his own seeing as his brother did not want anything to do with.

Raton, New Mexico. December 10, 2017

Walking into the small garage for the first time since my father's passing, I see the truck that me and my father painstakingly restored cab down a year before his death. This FLD was not much but it was what my father could afford when he got it back in 2006. Even then my brother Frank wanted nothing to do with this truck. Mutters to himself, that brother of mine would always rather waste his life in front of a television watching whatever stupid program was popular instead of helping my, wait our father out whether it being fixing something on the truck or getting things in order before our father hit the road on a delivery. Man, did Frank raise a fit when Dad left him only the old rusted out Honda in his will, but he kind of had it coming, Frank really did not do anything to help. Now that the quarreling was over with, it was time to get to work.

Having gotten a delivery, a load of silica from Coastal Mining in Raton to Redding California, a long trip for the first solo journey so it will be a bit tricky. Looking at the map to figure out the route, my father would have loved the route to get there it included his favorite road to drive route 64. Well time to hit the road. Gets in the truck and fires it up. I sit back and enjoy the lovely sound of a Chip Tuned C15 Catepillar, got my cdl and all of my endorsements in this truck.

Now on the road I get to the mine where the trailer is waiting for me. I get the trailer loaded onto my truck with no issue at all and it is time to head off, have a lot of road to cover seeing as I want to be in California before I have to rest.

[ external image ]
Leaving the Coastal Mining

It takes a few miles to get settled into a groove, but I manage to just before the beginning of route 64. Now I know why my father loved this road, was a very fun road to drive.
[ external image ]

Having just made it into Farmington, I stop at the intersection where my father was killed by a drunk driver who veered onto the wrong side of the road. I remember the accident well, my father was driving my mother and himself home from picking my mother's car up from the dealership. Mom is very lucky that she survived the crash, I wish the same could be said for Dad.

[ external image ]

Ok, light finally turns green and am back on my way. It's really good to be back on the road, watching the road closely it wasn't much longer until I got past the state line and was in Arizona, so far so good.
[ external image ]

By the time I get to Phoenix, it's starting to get dark the construction between Holbrook and Phoenix really set me behind I'll be lucky to get to California by 11pm.
[ external image ]

Luckily traffic was light in Phoenix and made great time and made it to California just in time to rest for the night. Call mom to let her know that I am alright and off of the road for the night before turning in for the night.
[ external image ]

Alarm on phone goes off at 9 am, overslept a little bit, but needed the sleep and am still on pace to be easily in Redding on time, in fact a bit too early for comfort. So enjoy a hot breakfast before hitting the road.
[ external image ]

Been on the road for awhile today and saw a crash that brought the memories back, hoping everyone involved was alright, but needed to focus on the road, my exit was coming up quickly and I was to get onto route 101 via Oakland. Just outside of Oakland I notice the wind turbines that were put up recently, the last time I was down this road with Dad they were not there. Figured it would be a good time to take a break once get into Oakland.
[ external image ]

It's been awhile and it has gotten dark but not many miles left I have county highway 289 which is a miserable road to navigate at night.
[ external image ]

10pm, I roll into the yard to drop the trailer off right on time. Luckily bitumen knew I was going to be here at this time and needed the load first thing in the morning. Undock from the trailer and pick up the payment, a cool $86k. Roll into the repair shop where I could spend the night and call Mom to tell here I made it to Redding safe and sound and that I will see her in a few days.
Last edited by dkasper00 on 30 Jan 2018 23:53, edited 2 times in total.
In a world full of swift drivers, I'm an O/O.
BK Vissers

Re: Tales of an Owner/Operator

#2 Post by BK Vissers » 15 Dec 2017 00:17

Nice start. I love narrative along with pictures, so I’ll certainly be following this closely. ;)
dkasper00

#3 Post by dkasper00 » 16 Dec 2017 06:26

12-14-2017

It's another early morning, been home for a full day, I have to bobtail it to Hobbs to pickup a couple of construction houses to bring back up to Raton been up for awhile, met one of my father's an older guy named Bill for breakfast at the truckstop diner. Now heading back to the truck to head to Hobbs only to discover my truck is gone.

[ external image ]

Stood there for a moment in shock and then called the police. Once done with the police reports and seeing as the company can't afford to be off the road, I make a call to a good friend of mine who moved down to Hobbs to become the manager of the Kenworth dealer there 5 years ago. Jim answers the phone Hello, Kenworth of Hobbs, this is Jim speaking how may I help you? Hello Jim it's Michael and I need help, my truck was stolen this morning at the truckstop in Raton and I can't afford to be off the road. Jim responds, Michael, get yourself down here as quick as possible, we happen to have a former demo W900 I can sell to you for a reasonable price. I respond thank you Jim, I will be right down. By this time my father's friend is exiting the building, I flag him down and explained what happened and asked for a ride down to Hobbs and promise I will pay for gas, which Bill happily accepts, No need to pay for gas, I was heading down to Artesia anyways and a little bit further won't hurt. Finally get to Hobbs around 2pm outside of the shop stands Jim. Jim looks at me and says Wish it was of a better situation than of what it is at the moment, was it your father's FLD that you and your dad redid? Yes it was Jim, I'm absolutely gutted right now. I'm sorry to hear about the loss, that truck was really important to you and your dad. The truck over there on the end is the line there is the former demo truck, which I can let you have for $120k, the truck was kept in pristine condition and has all the bells and whistles. We need to let the truck go to make room for the next demo truck, a new fully decked out T680.

[ external image ]

I have $86,000 on me at the moment, would I be able to pay you the balance when I get it? Jim thinks for a moment then stick out his hand, yes, absolutely. Thank you Jim, we have a deal. I head into the shop with Jim to fill out the needed insurance and paperwork while the they go over the truck to get it ready for duty. Doesn't take them long to get the truck ready and I get into the truck to get the seat and mirrors adjusted to my liking and fire the truck up, hmm much more quiet than the FLD. With that I get on the road to head to pick the trailer up at plaster and son, luckily it was still there. Carefully back the still unfamiliar truck up to the trailer and hook everything up. And with that I am off.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

While down on the trip I kept thinking to myself my father would be rather sick to his stomach at the news of the FLD being stolen, but would be quite impressed by the quality of this truck. At least I'm making the maiden journey with this truck in good weather.. The first trip with the FLD was so rough, there were moments where both me and my father thought that we were going to have to take cover from the oncoming storm front. Luckily the worst of the storm front stayed well to the north of us.

The sun was just setting when I got to the rail export into Raton to make the delivery and collect electronically $23k which immediately got sent to Jim.
[ external image ]

Was too close to when I had to sleep, so decided to turn in early which I spend the night in the truck while parked at the coastline resting, seeing as next delivery departs from the coastline mine first thing in the morning heading for Flagstaff, Arizona.

Now more comfortable with the truck, I back the truck right up to the trailer with no real problem. Hook lines and cables up and am set to go.

[ external image ]

This is really my first chance to see what this truck can handle, the load of gravel being quite heavy, so far so good. I think I am going to like this truck a bunch, it's handing the initial incline of highway 64 rather well. It's weird there's usually more traffic on this road at this time, but can't complain, most of them really don't know how to properly manage this road sees so many crashes throughout the year.

[ external image ]

Just getting to the outskirts of Farmington and finally see traffic. Another W900 that has seen much heavier use than this one obviously.

[ external image ]

Nearing the NM/AZ line, my phone rings, it's the state police, they found my truck, I pull the truck over to the side of the road. I ask if the truck is alright, the officer responds, We found it on it's roof just outside Santa Fe, your brother Frank was behind the wheel he's ok, do you want to press charges? I respond, holding back my rage, yes. The officer acknowledges and says he will get back in touch with me in the next few days. I sit there regrouping myself in order to calm down. He's always been a such a childish prick and did stupid things when he didn't get his way. No, I need to get this to flagstaff and continue on with this business as far as I'm concerned Frank is dead to me, I cherished that FLD and he had to be childish and destroy it for no reason at all but childishness. Granted I didn't always get way either, but I was mature enough to get over it quickly and not to do anything brash. Now that it''s off my chest I need to get back on the road.

[ external image ]

At 5:30pm I pull into Plaster and Son in Flagstaff with the load of Gravel.

[ external image ]

Collect the $32k and send the last $11k to Jim. Jim calls me and says that he received the payments and is sending 5k back to me and explains That was more than enough, Bill came back by and put $5,000 towards the truck, put that 5k towards an anti theft system. Feeling overwhelmed with emotion I told him thank you and the next time I'm in Hobbs that I am buying Lunch. I'll be looking forward to that day and I'll talk to you later and hangs up. As soon as Jim hangs up, I call Bill to thank him for his kind act and told him that Frank stole it and crashed it. I know how much that truck meant to you and your father. It's a shame that Frank had to be his usual selfish self and destroy the one thing that mattered the world to you. Hopefully the new truck will treat you as well as the FLD did.
Last edited by dkasper00 on 16 Mar 2018 22:54, edited 2 times in total.
dkasper00

#4 Post by dkasper00 » 17 Dec 2017 02:04

12-16-2017

After the events of the past 2 days, I decide to spend the day in Flagstaff to decompress and make a couple of changes to the W900. I'm very happy with the truck, it has outdone my expectations. That evening I get a call from the local Eddy's that they needed a load of used packaging to be sent to Walbert's warehouse in Las Vegas. So off I went to pickup the trailer, not much traffic out not that I'm complaining. In no time I'm at Eddy's and have the trailer hooked up to the truck and am ready to head off.

[ external image ]

Once on the road and making great time, wishing that this was always the case with the traffic, I'm positive that Vegas is going to be way busier than out here in Flagstaff. While driving I thought about what I told Mom about what Frank did 2 days ago, she is really disgusted with his actions. She told me that she wasn't likely going to bail him out. Before I knew it I saw Vegas in front of me. To my shock the traffic was light...

[ external image ]

Navigate through the streets in Las Vegas, this City is truly bigger than I thought it would be. Finally find the Walbert warehouse and make the delivery.

[ external image ]

With the delivery made, I decided to find a place to sleep for the night. Find the repair shop and they had spaces to park for the night not knowing the excitement that was going happen in the morning.

[ external image ]

Wake up at 10:30am get cleaned and fed just as I completed my breakfast, get a call from Sunshine Crops in Tonopah to get up there they have a job for me. I tell them that I am on my way, get in the driver's seat fire the truck up and get moving. There's the Las Vegas traffic. Luckily the traffic is moving at a good pace and before I know it, I made it to Tonopah get to the Sunshine Crops, and the yard manager asks if I am certified to haul triples. I'm certified to haul anything, this will be no problem. Very good, you trailers are over there you're going to Jackpot. Make my way to the trailers hook up and am on my way.

[ external image ]

Love carrying triples, they are good challenge for me, just don't see them very often. It's another beautiful day out, been on this route before it's a scenic drive.

[ external image ]

Making good time considering the back up in Pioche, the lights did not cooperate at all. Once finally out of time I get back into comfortable pace, sticking to the posted speed limit. Heard a horn, but figured the car going the other direction thought they recognized me. It wasn't until a Police Officer pulled a vehicle over that was behind me that I realized that there was someone tailgating me, good thing I did not suddenly have to jam on the brakes, did not see the person in my mirrors at all.

[ external image ]

It's around 7pm by the time I pull into Sell Goods with the trailers and undock from them they had a spotter on hand.

[ external image ]

Once undocked I decide to bobtail it to Elko to spend the night there, before starting to make my way back to Raton.

[ external image ]

Laying there in the bunk I'm thinking how good of a day it has been and maybe it's time to start thinking about expanding, it won't be overnight but I can see it in the future.
BK Vissers

#5 Post by BK Vissers » 17 Dec 2017 14:23

Too bad about the FLD. I’d be so angry. Hope the W900 serves you well.
dkasper00

#6 Post by dkasper00 » 17 Dec 2017 23:29

Thank you this has been a nice challenge for me so far.
BK Vissers

#7 Post by BK Vissers » 18 Dec 2017 02:44

Yep, it’s a lot of work to do the pics and write up something original. :)
dkasper00

#8 Post by dkasper00 » 23 Dec 2017 05:59

12-22-2017

[ external image ]

Wake up at 8:30 am, it's been a good break and am feeling fresh and recharged, got a call first thing this morning that the truck was ready to be picked up from getting some new paint followed by a phone call from rail export, who needed a load of empty bottles picked up. I'm lucky to have been able to make enough to feel secure enough where I am ready for a 2nd truck and to hire. But that's going to have to wait until after this delivery I have to do. Fire the truck up and get to the rail export. The trailer is luckily in plain sight where I can just hook up and go.

[ external image ]

Throughout the first day of the trip, I'm making great time and make it to flagstaff before having to stop for the night. That night I heard that there was a big lottery drawing in California worth $150 million in 2 days, so I'm thinking to myself I will be in California in that time frame and with my pace I should be in El Centro when I have to stop for the night, so I'll pick up a lottery ticket then. Wake up around 5:00 am and am ready to head out for the day. Going through phoenix and I'm not having any of those thoughts from a couple of weeks ago, I've managed to put a lot of miles on the W900 and am really starting to know the truck from the inside out. Before I knew it it was time to stop for fuel and rest, in which I bought a lottery ticket before turning in for the night.

[ external image ]

The next morning I woke up with a really bad feeling, the dream I had overnight wasn't good so I figured it was just what I dreamed that had me feeling that way. Ate breakfast, and got myself ready and headed off to finish the delivery. All is fine, and am making good time and I am just on the outside of Santa Maria, when there are police activity on the shoulder. Traffic is still going at a good pace so I get into the left lane to give the police some room. As I get closer last second a tour bus pulls into my lane as I was on his left side already. Had no time to brake, just to brace for impact. Get hit hard on the passenger side which throws me into the gaurd rail just as hard.

[ external image ]

Shooken, I take check to see if I'm alright, everything seems to be alright. Go to start the truck up to move it to a safe spot, but decide to get out as quickly as possible because something did not smell right. Once out of the truck I hurry to the tour bus to see if anyone is hurt. Luckily the bus was empty and the bus driver got off with a broken arm and was apologizing because it was his fault, he didn't use his mirrors before changing lanes. By this time the police had things under control, once reports were taken, had to catch a ride to a hotel to spend the night i and had to figure something out with how to get home. By the time I get to the hotel it is 11 pm and remember to check the lottery ticket. The winning numbers were 12, 25,16, 20, 08. Look at the lottery ticket I got, and immediate shock, I won. Winning the lottery doesn't help the matter of the wreck, but it does take the sting off of it. Now to find something to make the drive home with...
Last edited by dkasper00 on 23 Dec 2017 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
BK Vissers

#9 Post by BK Vissers » 23 Dec 2017 13:24

I think with $150 million, you can retire, buy a yacht, and not worry about what to drive! :lol:

That accident shot is very well done. :)
dkasper00

#10 Post by dkasper00 » 24 Dec 2017 05:46

12-23-2017

Wake up at 6:30 and am still in Santa Maria, gets out of bed and am sore from the previous day's events. The lottery winnings will help out, though after taxes it will be less than $150,000,000. Still enough to expand, that will simply depend on whether or not the Raton city council will cooperate and allow the garage to expand, relocation is an option if it comes down to it. Only time will tell with that step, it would be nice to move operations closer to mid state. Well before that I need to find something to drive and really don't want to rent a car or fly home and it would be nice to find a truck since I kind of need one anyways if I want to haul trailers. Head down to the hotel lobby to check out and ask the receptionist where the closest dealership was and as I suspected the receptionist was clueless. But the guy behind me in line luckily did know, he grabbed my attention and said Bakersfield, I'm heading there as soon as I'm done here, need a ride? Seeing as I did need to get there, I happily accepted. Hello my name is Steve by the way, been a trucker for 20 years. Going on your asking where the closest truck dealership was I am guessing you're a trucker as well, what happened to your truck? Yeah, I got clobbered just outside of town yesterday by a tour bus, my name is Michael. Wow, I heard about that crash over the cb, glad you are ok. You have to watch out for those tour buses, they are a reckless bunch, the coach carriers really need to do a better job of evaluating their drivers. I'm parked behind the building. As soon as I walk around the corner, I see the truck, a lime green freightliner fld. I am awestruck, not a fan of the hub covers on it, but it's beautiful. Get in the truck, weird to be in the passenger seat. Once on the road I ask Steve if it was a 1995 model. Steve looks startled, Yes it is, I'm impressed, how did you know? Me and my father restored a 1995 FLD120, shame my brother stole the truck and rolled it outside of Santa Fe. Say what are you heading to the dealership in Bakersfield for anyways? I'm trading this in for Pete 389, ready for something new and the Cascadia is not doing it for me aesthetically, I have cash for it, just not enough and have to use the old fld to complete the deal. explains Steve. Have to ask how much are you short by? Steve explains by $30,000.

If I was to give you $33,000 would you sell the truck to me and you can buy the truck you want outright and knowing this truck is in good hands and not in some scrapyard. Steve asks, Will it be in Cash? Definitely in cash, was taught as a kid that money talks. You have yourself a deal, take good care of the old girl. At this time we are just entering Bakersfield, and I get dropped off at the bank, luckily it's the same bank as in Raton and get the cash with no issues. So I hoof it to the Peterbilt dealership and give Steve the $33,000 and Steve hands me the keys and his cell phone number and tells me, You're a good guy, I'd like to keep in touch with you. I'd be more than happy to keep in touch, give him my phone number.

Back in an FLD, this feels right.
[ external image ]

So now that I have a ways to get home on my own, let's see if I can make some money in doing so, head across the highway to Sunshine Crops to see if there was any loads heading to New Mexico that needed to be taken. The lot manager looks up and said only the load of Fertilizer that is going to our location in Tucumcari. So I take the job and hook up and am on my way to Tucumcari.

[ external image ]

Sitting at the light, I see steve pulling out of the Peterbilt dealer, in a beautiful metallic red 389. Honk the horn and wave, and get a honk and wave back. Light turns green and after letting Steve go, I pull onto the highway. The traffic isn't bad today, hopefully I will make good time and can get into Arizona before I have to stop.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
Get to the Arizona state line and still have 3 hours until I have to stop, traffic is still good, if I get to flagstaff, I'll make it to Tucumcari in one stop with an hour to spare. Roll into a rest area in Flagstaff with 5 minutes to spare before I had to stop.

[ external image ]

It's early in the morning and isn't even light out yet when I am up and ready to get back on the road.
[ external image ]

Really lucky to have light traffic the whole way so far. Once I get to the AZ/NM line it is light out and smooth sailing.
[ external image ]

At this point I am relieved to see my home state. It will be good to see Mom when I get to Raton, I knew she was shook up when she heard about the accident and is she going to be surprised to see another FLD in the garage. I'm not feeling unsure of myself, people always say a crash like that has a lasting effect on a person mentally, am outside of Albuquerque at the moment and I just a bad crash and I'm not going into a flashback. Guess losing my father toughened me up a bit more than I thought. Now that I am closer to home I'm starting to think about expanding to a 2nd truck, I certainly have enough to make the move and be comfortable and I do think it would be in the companies best interest to relocate to Roswell if expanding operations in Raton fizzles out because of the city counsel. Before I know it I'm turning into the sunshine crops in Tucumcari, a smooth uneventful delivery.

[ external image ]

Message Steve and mention that the old girl made it to tucumcari in great time with no issues and to thank him for the help once again. Get a response, glad to hear, she's a great truck.

Return to “Game”