Tales of an Owner/Operator

dkasper00

Re: Tales of an Owner/Operator

#31 Post by dkasper00 » 11 Jan 2018 21:35

When I saw that v1.30.0.1 of ats was released, I actually started to worry. If the fld was incompatible, things may have had to be put on hold
In a world full of swift drivers, I'm an O/O.
BK Vissers

#32 Post by BK Vissers » 13 Jan 2018 15:19

I can confirm that the FLD works fine in 1.30 in both ATS and ETS2. :)
dkasper00

#33 Post by dkasper00 » 14 Jan 2018 22:45

I did put this on a short hold, so I can get over this bug I have. Don't want to do an entry when sick.
BK Vissers

#34 Post by BK Vissers » 14 Jan 2018 23:20

Get better, man. Rest up. Do this when you're going to enjoy it. :)
dkasper00

#35 Post by dkasper00 » 17 Jan 2018 22:42

1-17-2018
Just got back from San Francisco yesterday, and enjoyed the remainder of the day. Get a call from Jim, Hey Michael, can you come down here quickly, there's something you might be interested in. Ok Jim, slow down what is it that is there that I may be interested in? Michael, your old FLB may be sitting in the lot and the vin number may confirm it, also the 579 arrived. explains Jim. Ok, I'm on my way down, hangs up the phone. If this is the truck I hope it is, I wonder if I can get my hands on it. Get to the dealership and see Jim standing there with a guy that I haven't met in a long time. Say to myself before I get out of the car, yep that's the old flb, though it looks like a whole lot of work was done to it. Get out of the car and before JIm gets the chance to introduce me, I'm already telling Kevin hello. Wait, you know Kevin? Jim says utterly shocked. Yes, he's the one who bought the FLB from my father all of these years ago and that is definitely my old flb. Turn around to Kevin and as why he wants to get rid of it. Well, ready for something that isn't as cramped for this old man and saw that 579 over there and asked Jim about it. Jim explained that it was your truck, but he also told me that you still had a soft spot for Freightliners and may be open to making a deal.

That I do Kevin, and I have been wondering about that FLB a lot over the last few weeks, I'd be up to make a deal. What has been done to it recently? Kevin answers, New wheels, tires, engine replaced, I'll offer you the FLB and $65,000 for the 579. Everything was serviced before I brought it here What engine was put into it? Is it a cat, detroit diesel? Neither, I had a new in crate Mack EA9 engine that I had laying around, it is a really sound engine. explains Kevin. Well, that is an interesting choice in engine, but have heard good things about it, I have to say we have ourselves a deal. Smiling and handing the keys over, Kevin says Thank you. Turns to Jim, hand Kevin the keys to the 579 and thank you for bringing this to my attention I was wondering about this truck for a long time and am thrilled to get this truck back and any news on locating a nose and cab for the wrecked FLD? Jim responds Located a nose, but no luck yet with the cab will let you know if we find something. Also no problem. Well, got a job to run. Going to give the FLB a go to see how the mack engine fares, don't worry I'll be back for a 389 in the future also Steve is due to arrive today will you hold onto his garage keys he will be by to pick them up. Ok will do Michael, well call when you are ready to order. Jim says as he is walking back to the door.

[ external image ]

With the excitement over with, I get into the FLB to start it up and hear the rumble of a Mack engine starting up. Going to have to get used to hearing that engine sound. Put the truck into first to go to the walbert around the corner to pick up 11tons of nuts going to Phoenix Freight in Phoenix. Take mental note that the truck is shorter than what I have been used to and is going to drive a little differently than the FLD. Hook up to the trailer and am ready to get to phoenix, not going to have to stop for a rest if everything goes alright.

[ external image ]

Before departing with the trailer I took a few moments to adjust the mirrors to where I like them. The mirrors were ok without the trailer, but with the trailer I wanted to adjust them a little more before I headed out. Now with the mirrors adjusted, I am on my way. So far moderate traffic, butthe traffic is not backing up at all.

[ external image ]

Before I know it, I'm crossing over into Arizona, and decided that when Steve arrives he will use the 579 that I used while the FLD needed to be worked on, it's just sitting there not being used.

[ external image ]

Getting a feel for how the FLB rides, and know I won't be using this truck for long deliveries. For short deliveries it will do nicely.

[ external image ]

Nearing Phoenix traffic is getting lighter as I get closer to where Phoenix Freight is located.

[ external image ]

Pulling into the destination I stop for my phone is ringing. Hello Steve, are you in Albuquerque? Yes I just got to the garage and want to go into the garage. explains Steve. Ok Steve, go and talk to Jim at the Peterbilt dealership, I left your keys with him, you're truck is in the bay 3 of the garage and it is fueled up and ready to go when your are ready, if not ready, I'll see you in the morning feel free to crash in the office until you can find a place to stay at. Ok, thank you Michael for this again, it's really appreciated. No worries Steve, I have to back the trailer into it's spot I'll talk to you tomorrow. Hangs up the phone and backs the trailer to it's spot. Get out of the truck to lower the dollies and unplug from the trailer. Head in to collect payment and am on my way back to Albuquerque.

[ external image ]
Last edited by dkasper00 on 23 Jan 2018 05:44, edited 1 time in total.
BK Vissers

#36 Post by BK Vissers » 18 Jan 2018 03:30

Ahh, another Freightliner fan... for some reason I just love those beasties. :)
dkasper00

#37 Post by dkasper00 » 23 Jan 2018 05:43

1-22-2018, Steve

It was a long trip here.

Finally got to Albuquerque yesterday. Pretty sure that will be the last time I am taking a bus anywhere. The bus had to stop a couple of times between Sacramento and arriving here in Albuquerque and the cops had to be called due to fights on the bus, it made for a really long trip. Was able to find the garage with relative ease, but things are locked up. Michael must be on the road, matter as well call him. Hello Steve, are you in Albuquerque? asks Michael. Yes I just got to the garage and want to go into the garage. Michael responds Ok Steve, go and talk to Jim at the Peterbilt dealership, I left your keys with him, you're truck is in the bay 3 of the garage and it is fueled up and ready to go when your are ready, if not ready, I'll see you in the morning feel free to crash in the office until you can find a place to stay at. Ok, thank you Michael for this again, it's really appreciated. No worries Steve, I have to back the trailer into it's spot I'll talk to you tomorrow. Steve says before he hangs up the phone.

Ok, now to head to the Peterbilt dealership. Walk in to the dealership and ask for Jim and say that Michael sent me here. The employee says that he will go get him. A few minutes later, Hey Steve, glad to see you, I've got the keys right here for you, I was about to head out for lunch, need a lift to the garage? Jim says and he approaches Steve. Yes please, I have my belongings in these bags and really don't want to lug them back and forth by foot. Not a problem Steve, my car is over there mentions Steve. Hey Jim how did you get to know Michael? I met him awhile back the day after Michael's crash. I took him to the Peterbilt dealership in Bakersfield which while on the way there he helped me out of a small bind, and bought my old FLD for money that allowed me to pay for the 389 in full without needing to get a loan. He left a lasting impression on me with that. Yeah, that Michael for you. He's always been like that, those values he got from his father. I was friends with him since Kindergarten. Well, we're here if you need anything and Michael is not around contact me. explains Jim. Will do, thank you for driving me here.

Get in the garage and get a text from Michael, Not going to make it in by tomorrow Morning. I'll talk to you tomorrow night. Respond back saying will do. Will get up first thing in the morning and get a load, will likely be a short delivery, so I will be at the garage tomorrow night. I get settled in and get a look at the truck, I see that it has some miles on it, but not many. No big deal with that, means no break in time needed. By the time I'm done looking the truck over it's dark, and having been an eventful day, it would be helpful to get some sleep in something that was not moving.

Wake up around 8 am and take the truck out of the garage. The truck's color really pops in the sun.

[ external image ]

Called around looking for a load, and found one, a load of nuts going from Walbert going to SellGoods in Alamogordo. Get to the yard and hook up to the truck and am on my way.

[ external image ]

Now on the road, I can tell that this truck is going to be a good truck, it just rides so well.

[ external image ]

Never been to Alamogordo, but I should be nearing there by now seeing more signs. Kind of glad it sent me on a road that doesn't see a lot of traffic for my first trip in an unfamiliar truck.

[ external image ]

Made it to Alamogordo and was lucky to find the SellPlan right away. Had a great first trip.

[ external image ]

Now that I am unhooked from the trailer, it's time to make my way back to Albuquerque to meet up with Michael.
dkasper00

Re: Tales of an Owner/Operator #on hold#

#38 Post by dkasper00 » 30 Jan 2018 03:12

Going to take a break from the storyline.
1-31-18
Actually over my burnout and ready to go again
dkasper00

#39 Post by dkasper00 » 31 Jan 2018 22:52

I am making a change though. I love the fld, but my eyes don't like straining to see the tachometer.
BK Vissers

#40 Post by BK Vissers » 31 Jan 2018 23:07

Suggestion:

1. if you use interior cabin lighting (usually activated by the beacon hotkey) it helps.

2. If you use Piva’s no hdr weather mod for ATS, you’ll find the interior less dark.

Just offering you some alternatives if you’re really fond of the FLD.

Return to “Game”