[WIP] Los Angeles and San Diego map

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check chapters [4] and [5] of Forum Rules.
brainiac

[WIP] Los Angeles and San Diego map

#1 Post by brainiac » 16 Aug 2018 00:06

Hi!
As you know, I am an experienced road-network and sign (re)builder.
I want to make San Diego map in a 2:5 scale, and I am planning to do Los Angeles later. Maybe this thread best describes my wish: https://www.promods.net/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=13141
Although the project is at the beginning, I think that it is serious. Why? I am fanatic of roads. I like beautiful roads through canyons with tunnels. My country, Serbia, has many such roads. If we look at highways, I like mountainous highways with many tunnels and bridges, like highway Livorno - Nice, or Thessaloniki - Igoumenitsa.
The next type of highways which I like is wide highways (at least 4+4) with complex interchanges. I enjoy looking at the street view or Google Earth. Naturally, I want to drive across them. Los Angeles is maybe the best choice. I started with San Diego because it isn't too far, I-5 has at least 4+4 lanes all way between cities (also I-15), the city is much smaller, and it has enough wide highways and complex interchanges.
I said that the project is serious. As the number of lanes is essential for the full experience, I must make many prefabs and streets.
I know that I want too much. Considering all written above, my focus is on the road network, and I would like to do a good landscape. Then details, including precise signage, must be omitted, but maybe not if I will get help.
So, the goal of this map isn't high quality, but very realistic road network, which lacks in both ATS and ETS.

HELP WANTED:
MAPPERS
PEOPLE WHO WILL ADD DETAILS: unnecessary signs, buildings, fences...
SUGGESTIONS:
I need suggestions for companies in south-western San Diego (between Mexico, I-5, I-8, CA 15, and I-805. For all suggestions, please tell which in-game company I can place and exact places. I need too much time to make crossroads, so I want to waste minimal time on placing companies. I also need suggestions for truck dealers, services, agencies, and gas stations.

News about prefab progress is here: viewtopic.php?f=195&t=281606.
Map progress:
Los Angeles:
Final map of planned drivable roads in San Diego:

This is still only a road map with terrain (and of course, all gameplay objects) — no details, including navigation signs.
Last edited by brainiac on 03 Sep 2020 14:41, edited 16 times in total.
Working on San Diego map, 2:5 scale: viewtopic.php?f=194&t=258124
I NEED HELP for:
- landscape
- details
- signage and
- company advisors (which companies to put where)

greatone19921

Re: [WIP] San Diego and Los Angeles map

#2 Post by greatone19921 » 20 Sep 2018 22:16

I would love too but idk how to mod an I'm constantly traveling but what I can do is support you and do you have the link to the 1 with all the highways & freeways done for 1.32 to try out?

greatone19921

#3 Post by greatone19921 » 22 Sep 2018 17:58

My name is Lance Benson an I live in easley South Carolina

brainiac

#4 Post by brainiac » 23 Sep 2018 14:15

Why you answer on private message here?
I NEED HELP for:
- landscape
- details
- signage and

brainiac

#5 Post by brainiac » 28 Oct 2018 00:12

I need suggestions for companies in south-western San Diego (between Mexico, I-5, I-8, CA 15 and I-805. It is ideal to have at least one company in each city block between bigger streets (if block is long, than more than 1 company). For all suggestions please tell which in-game company I can place and exact places. I need too much time to make crossroad so I want to waste minimal time for placing companies. I also need suggestions for truck dealers, services, agrencies and gas stations.
Last edited by brainiac on 29 Oct 2018 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
I NEED HELP for:
- landscape
- details
- signage and

J. Ritter

#6 Post by J. Ritter » 28 Oct 2018 04:58

i like the concept. I'll try to do some studying for some industry ideas.
(The Artist Formerly Known as Ranaldo20)
J. Ritter Transport- New Roleplay Series (Video)

brainiac

#7 Post by brainiac » 28 Oct 2018 23:09

I am looking forward.
I also need suggestions for truck dealers, services, agrencies and gas stations.
I NEED HELP for:
- landscape
- details
- signage and

J. Ritter

#8 Post by J. Ritter » 29 Oct 2018 14:45

I think one thing that should be included are the ports of Los Angeles / Long Beach. These 2 ports are some of if not THE busiest ports in the US.

GT182

#9 Post by GT182 » 29 Oct 2018 15:25

One suggestion. Get real photos of the areas you want to do as there are real mountains around Los Angeles. Coming off Cajon Pass on 1-15 can be a real scary ride in a truck going south if you don't have a Jake brake.... there's a scale house half way down all trucks must stop for. Stop with smoking brakes and you get a ticket. Heading into the city is kind of flat but to the North you can still see the mountains. From Barstow west I see RT 58 to Bakersfield has changed in the high desert. There's a bypass around Mojave. And there are still mountains to be seen. but you still drive by Edwards Air Force Base and go over the Tehachapi Mountains with a big long drop down to Bakersfield. The railroad also cuts the same mountains along side RT 58. And those trains are sometimes 4 miles long with lead, middle, and rear engines. I used to see them many times, and was amazed every time I saw them. This would make ATS a lot more real that what SCS has done.
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm ATS addicted to doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:

J. Ritter

#10 Post by J. Ritter » 29 Oct 2018 16:38

@GT182: The trains there also traverse the world-famous Tehachapi Loop. I would love to go see it one day, being the huge railfan that I am.

Return to “Maps”