Mantrid's Large Scale USA (On Hold)

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.

What scale map would you prefer?

1:1
32%
1:2
5%
1:3
55%
Not Interested
8%

Total votes: 528

Mantrid

Mantrid's Large Scale USA (On Hold)

#1 Post by Mantrid » 18 Oct 2019 04:36

Background to the project.
Before I started on the much loved and much derided Coast to Coast, I intended to re-scale the existing areas as I thought that 1:35 was way too small. I planned to re-scale it to 1:3 (the same as the cities), but before I started I made the experimental C2C map and the original project never started.
I am now ready to start planning the new map (C2C will still be my main priority). I have discussed it with my viewers on Twitch and I even created a test map of part of Washington at 1:3 (it was pretty big). I have had a few requests to make it 1:1, I like the idea even though it would be a monumental undertaking.

What I would like to know is, would you use it and what scale would you prefer?
Last edited by Mantrid on 23 Nov 2021 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
Rule [5.4.2]
Follow me on Twitch @ https://www.twitch.tv/homburg
Join my Discord @ https://discord.gg/XbtnazF
Jbte

Re: Mantrid's Large Scale USA (Pre-Planning)

#2 Post by Jbte » 18 Oct 2019 06:04

Depends on the project area you wish to cover and the level of detail, surely any project 1:1, 1:2 even 1;3 at any quality level it's a huge challenge.

My personal opinion, for me the scale doesn't really matter, but the level of detail you put into it it's what makes the difference, for example in the areas of the map mods I have been doing, many places are recreated 1:1, then I jump to another area to recreate, current SCS 1:19 scale works for a good level of detail and huge areas to cover, which I believe if an scale of 1:10 could work better for highway design in cities and proper US junctions, but still a huge task. If you opt to design just a city, with a scale of 1:3 could perfectly work but depends on the quality and level of detail you want to put to it and the time you are willing to invest into this project.

You could do a diamond interchange in 1:1 scale;
-If you put that many details as SCS does in recent DLCs, that interchange could take you 24 hours to build, which means 8 hours per day, "3 days" working on it.
-Middle details or moderate I believe in 6 hours can be done, or in a "day"
-Poorly designed, a few minutes, even an hour.

So that depends, if you want to cover more areas in less time, quality must go way below SCS standards, if you put alot of effort into more quality than SCS does, that could take you more time and less areas to cover.
Simul82r

#3 Post by Simul82r » 18 Oct 2019 16:59

I would love a 1:1 scale but that is very much work to have quality.If you go for a 1:3 scale I am for sure gonna drive that too.Good Luck with the project:)
TexasWhirlwind

#4 Post by TexasWhirlwind » 18 Oct 2019 19:24

I love the way it is right now Mantrid. But if you are going to make it bigger then I say go for it. I love the long drivers. The short runs are OK but they get boring real fast...

TW
-.- -.-. ..... -- ...- ...-
bobgrey1997

#5 Post by bobgrey1997 » 18 Oct 2019 19:44

1:3 is likely best, as it would still provide a massive map, but not take near as long as a 1:1.
That said, if you are planning the entire US (or just a region of it), I wouldn't be opposed to working on my Arkansas map (at 1:1) in cooperation with your mod.
The main issue here is that I am working 1:1, as it is the only scale I am comfortable with when it comes to familiar places (like my hometown or roads/towns I travel frequently).
Dogbert

#6 Post by Dogbert » 18 Oct 2019 20:33

My preference is always 1:1.
Grizzly

#7 Post by Grizzly » 19 Oct 2019 00:05

I love the idea of 1:1 maps and the Dalton mod was amazing but it does start to become like a real job, 10 hours of driving to make one delivery, and how much money would you expect to make from that? If the economy is realistic you'd have to be driving 40 hours per week for a whole year to even hope to buy a truck.

The benefit is you can use freely available topographic map, road maps, land use maps etc like they use in the open source flight sim flightgear. Obviously you'd have to layer detail onto that.

Personally I think I'd prefer you concentrate on c2c :D
Liggy66

#8 Post by Liggy66 » 19 Oct 2019 02:50

When I first joined iRacing there was a very vocal group of members that wanted NASCAR races to be full length, 500 mile endurance races that would take 3 to 4 hours. The reality was that most people with lives outside of the sim (like jobs and families) just didn't have time for the long races. Common sense prevailed and races are mostly short up to about 50 laps.

The same logic applies to the truck sim. In an hour of driving it is possible to cross states and go up and down the West Coast or drive down into Mexico. If distances were real those trips would take days. The time commitment required of users needs to be short to provide fun and enjoyment. There is a line of distinction between a sim like this and reality. I don't think I want to spend twelve hours in my sim seat driving from California to Texas. That becomes work, whereas driving in a scaled down world provides an achievable challenge that is fun.

An option that could work is keep the countryside at the current scale and create cities at a much larger scale. I have driven some of the 1:1 maps and they are interesting for a while but the distances become boring very quickly.

That's my 20 cents worth, or as you Americans say, my 2 bits worth..Thanks for listening.
bobgrey1997

#9 Post by bobgrey1997 » 19 Oct 2019 04:30

1:1 can be fun.
Sure, many players don't have time for such long drives, but A: they can also take short 15 minute jobs within a single city, B: other players who do have the time get even more enjoyment, C: this is a mod, not the official game, so such logic does not apply, as the entire purpose of mods is to add or change a game for more enjoyment, be that for a single player, the minority of players, or the majority of players (mods never usually effect the majority as the majority never know mods exist in the first place).
If a given player does not have time for long drives, they can either stick to short single-city drives or not use the mod in the first place.
All of the scales listed above would result in days or hours to get across the west coast, so I don't see many people with such time constraints using this mod anyway.
All that said, the larger the scale, the longer it will take to get a given area done and the more work that is required to make it.
Mantrid

#10 Post by Mantrid » 19 Oct 2019 05:14

The thing about 1:1 and 1:20 scale is that you drive exactly the same amount of physical road, it's just the in game time that is different.
Rule [5.4.2]
Follow me on Twitch @ https://www.twitch.tv/homburg
Join my Discord @ https://discord.gg/XbtnazF

Return to “Maps”