Mantrid's Large Scale USA (On Hold)

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.

What scale map would you prefer?

1:1
32%
1:2
5%
1:3
55%
Not Interested
8%

Total votes: 528

Sanguinem Luna

Re: Mantrid's Large Scale USA (Pre-Planning)

#161 Post by Sanguinem Luna » 13 Jun 2020 17:08

I would happily use this mod if, or when, it's finished. I love C2C, but always felt the drives were too short, even going across the country from Coast to Coast. :P Driving through Florida is gorgeous, but it's over all too soon. So, I voted 1:3 as I believe it's much more achievable in a "shorter" time than 1:1 or 1:2. 1:3 is already massively larger than 1:20, so I don't see any true benefits in going larger than that. It would just be much more work than anything to try doing larger than 1:3. Looking forward to seeing this project progress. :)
Grizzly

#162 Post by Grizzly » 14 Jun 2020 01:13

I think if you're doing 1:1 you just go for a smaller geographical area, so it doesn't mean more work necessarily. It also eliminates any issues with scaling the time or landscape.
kenworth4lyf

#163 Post by kenworth4lyf » 24 Jun 2020 08:15

If you make the whole map 1:3, I'd definitely drive it and donate for every section you release, assuming that you would release it section by section, maybe state by state. I'm glad that you are still concentrating on the C2C map. I feel sorry for Wyoming as it still has only 1 city, Cheyenne. Could you put a few more cities in it? It's probably going to take a couple of years until SCS does Wyoming, they might be doing Texas after Colorado. I'm glad you're still prioritizing C2C, but I'm very interested in the 1:3 map. Many have tried 1:1 but I think it overwhelms people when they realize just how big it is.
Vinnie Terranova

#164 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 27 Jun 2020 18:19

I was just watching a YT video of a truck drive somewhere in the USA, and that brought me the following question: is it TECHNICALLY possible to make a 1:1 scale USA with the Prism3D engine? One of the limitations of the Prism3D engine is the drawing distance. Take a look at this video, and take especially a close look to the distant mountains. Is it possible to create a view like this with the current Prism3D engine? Or will the draw distance of the game engine be too short?

And what about all the assets, roads and prefabs? And all other objects like bushes, trees, well you name it. Is the Prism3D engine technically capable of handling such a huge amount of objects? Of course it is possible to put each county, instead of each state, in its own .scs-file, but loading all those files can take a lot of time. Really a lot of time...
Robinicus

#165 Post by Robinicus » 27 Jun 2020 22:00

The Dalton map hawk did is 1:1
Vinnie Terranova

#166 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 27 Jun 2020 22:14

Yeah I know. But basically that's just one 500 mile road with trees and mountains close next to it, and a few cities/towns. USA 1:1 is a different story. The only thing Dalton and USA have in common is the 1:1 scale. The Dalton 1:1 is much, much smaller than the USA 1:1. The Prism3D engine can handle the Dalton 1:1. But can it handle the USA 1:1?
hawkbs

#167 Post by hawkbs » 28 Jun 2020 06:26

Dont know if this is any use in that regard but when I did the Dalton on a 1:1 scale in 18 WoS Haulin I kinda broke the game engine. The map was shaking everywhere and nobody could figure it out.
I then messaged Pavel from SCS and asked him about it on the old TruckPol Forums where I had released the map and he was a member and still is.
This was the reply he sent me.
@sabre wrote:Hello, looks like I have been so busy that I haven't logged into TruckPol for over a month!

Sadly, it is true that our older games have a problem with large maps. The farther the coordinates are from [0,0] on the XY plane, the worse the problems are manifesting themselves - visual artifacts with the fake shadows and lights, and also physics/collision problems will get more pronounced.

There is nothing we can do about fixing this for the older games, a huge pile of code had to be rewritten to work around this limitation for Euro Truck Simulator 2 (Extreme Trucker 2 should benefit from it too, however the maps there are much smaller). Back-porting this new code into the old games is not possible, we would have to stop all work on new games for perhaps several months to pull this off.
Now take a look at ETS2 and the size of Europe with all DLC's and the UK there, throw in the ProMods things and it gets bigger. I also had my pre ATS version of the Dalton in that lot too roughly at the same coords.
It could be possible to do I think. Im sure there are some folks out there that have massive addon map Mods that cover alot more than what I just mentioned as well. I have seen some pretty insane ones on Youtube with tons of map addons.
[ external image ]
Quote from Lisa Kelly on Ice Road Truckers
"When you least expect it the road will get ya"
Vinnie Terranova

#168 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 28 Jun 2020 06:54

I don't know if you are referring to the YT videos of Wombat Trucker? But indeed there are quite some really big map addons, like ProMods, EAA (Brazil), Southern Region, The Great Steppe, RoEx (Romania), RusMap, which are all over 1 GB per addon. When you start your profile for the first time with all those addons, it could take over 10 min to load the game. But this is all 1:20 scale. Imagine what might happen with the loading time of an 1:1 scale map mod that covers the entire USA...
hawkbs

#169 Post by hawkbs » 28 Jun 2020 11:31

Might have been him, good god he has some serious combos there on those global vids.
10 mins isnt really that long. Took me longer to start FSX with all the addons I have. Conan Exiles takes me about 20 mins with the current mods I have installed.
Thats with a AMD FX 8 Core and 32 gigs ram installed.
Gives me time to make a cuppa and maybe grab a last snack
[ external image ]
Quote from Lisa Kelly on Ice Road Truckers
"When you least expect it the road will get ya"
bobgrey1997

#170 Post by bobgrey1997 » 29 Jun 2020 21:43

Takes me a half hour to load Cities:Skylines. Well over an hour to load Sims 3.
Sure, that can be a long time, but that's the price for a heavily modded/customizable experience. For Sims 3, I usually load it up during my morning routine, then leave it open all day (even if I leave the house) so that it will be there when I want to play it.
For Cities: Skylines, I open it and go find me some housework to do or find something to cook and eat while I wait.

Return to “Maps”