[REL] Separate state Highway Patrol and city police cars

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check chapters [4] and [5] of Forum Rules.
Keeper

[REL] Separate state Highway Patrol and city police cars

#1 Post by Keeper » 10 Feb 2016 07:27

Mod is now maintained only on the Steam Workshop due to extreme laziness.
Update on 9 October 2018 to remove changed parked-car data files as the defaults now are suitable, and edit to other data files for full compatibility with current ATS version.
Update on 14 November 2017 to add mod cars to parked-police-with-driver pool.
Update on 10 November 2017 for compatibility with ATS version 1.29 -- with certain caveats; see below.
Update on 29 August 2017 to make compatible with Coast-to-Coast, CanaDream and VivaMexico map mods (no new cars; just ensures that only default police spawn in those added map areas)
Update on 19 August 2017 to update models, eliminating the console warnings about old model versions.
Update on 18 August 2017 to make compatible with new SCS parked-car calling in ATS 1.28, and to introduce Bakersfield Police Ford Taurus.
Update on 14 February to add Dodge Chargers and several other changes.
Update on 23 January to activate and add more city police variants, and change a wheel texture.
Update on 6 January to adjust light positions on Taurus and adjust Arizona Taurus texture.
Update on 5 January to add Arizona and Nevada versions of the Ford Taurus patrol car.

Data files have been edited to ensure the mod works in ATS 1.32 without removing any new features added by SCS in the mean time. The cars added by this mod do not have operational flashing lights at this time, but otherwise are functional. As of mod update 1.42, all parked police car data are not modified. The game's default data files now properly put the correct state or city's patrol car in parked locations.

As of ATS version 1.29, the base game now has separate state highway patrol vehicles, which was the original purpose of this mod. However, this mod still provides many more city police cars, as well as a wider variety of models for state highway patrol in California, Nevada and Arizona.

This version of the mod does not suppress default cars anymore, for the moment. So you may see generic police in cities in addition to any specific city police liveries. This is necessary because of how the game now treats police and highway patrol as separate entities -- the only way to have any police coverage in cities with no city police livery available is to allow generic cars to spawn in every city. (However, SCS did add some city variants to the Ford Taurus that this mod didn't have, so there will be some more variety.) The alternative is to undo the new feature, and have highway patrol spawning in cities like they used to.

That being said, you will see this mod's highway patrol cars spawning in cities where no city police car of that model is available, because these models were all designed for the old system where the default appearance was a state highway patrol livery and city police were variants. (In the vanilla game's new cars, the default appearance is a generic police car and specific city liveries are variants; highway patrol are entirely different animals.)

So, yeah, there certainly are improvements that can be made, but for now it's mostly working -- no errors, and the right cars are showing up where they should as far as I've been able to tell. Let me know if you are noticing a lack of a city police variant that used to be present. And if you come up with any improvements yourself, do share so we can add it to the mod; there's no reason this can't be a community effort.

Any future new designs or models are up to gabenz88; he's the model whiz behind this.

ISSUE: According to user reports, it seems the flashing lights don't work on the mod's cars anymore. SCS changed the flashing light system on their default cars, so probably there is no backward compatibility. Hopefully someone who is adept at model editing can fix this. It would take me days of swearing at Blender to figure out how to do it.

--- Older readme content below ---

NOTE: If you have an "AI Traffic Density" mod, make sure to give the Highway Patrol mod higher priority (higher on the totem pole in the Mod Manager) to ensure that you don't have California cops spawning in Nevada, for example. "Police Density" mods are completely incompatible and should be removed. If you want to change the spawn rate of the police with this mod, you'll have to edit the files yourself. The mod is set with the same levels used by the original game, e.g. with police cars slightly less common in Nevada and Arizona than in California. (However the 1.29 default cars have higher and varied spawn rates, so the rates used by the cars that are added by this mod are a bit archaic.)

I really should replace these pictures with images of city police cars! See the Steam Workshop version for such pictures.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Download Link -- http://www.keeper1st.com/ats/atshighwaypatrol.7z
(No ads or pop-ups; it's my own web space.)

Also available through Steam Workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =664449196
Last edited by Keeper on 10 Jul 2019 16:43, edited 28 times in total.

Mafiozos68

Re: [REL] Separate California and Nevada Highway Patrol cars

#2 Post by Mafiozos68 » 10 Feb 2016 07:29

Very good. Thanks!

Scaniadriver1

#3 Post by Scaniadriver1 » 10 Feb 2016 07:46

Wow mate
That is cool thanks for that

Bramzel

#4 Post by Bramzel » 10 Feb 2016 08:43

Nice one, thanks!

stummer

#5 Post by stummer » 10 Feb 2016 10:20

Awesome mod. Thank you so much!!

116808apd

#6 Post by 116808apd » 10 Feb 2016 10:28

I can help you with the rims. Wanted to change them too for my mod project.

Could you send me a PM so we can discuss the details?
-

RichardHeade1

#7 Post by RichardHeade1 » 10 Feb 2016 11:01

Keeper wrote: One issue: Some areas on the map have parked police cars, e.g. on the road to Jackpot, Nevada. Those parked cars will appear as California Highway Patrol. It would require editing the maps to change this. I invite someone to do so.
I wouldn't worry about that too much, I drive past all these stationary Police cars at 80 mph waving to them, they appear from behind advertising hoardings, bushes, trees and anywhere else on freeways, typical police, it would take someone a long time to actually pinpoint every static Patrol car on the map, they are not always visible at high speed. :lol:
Thank you for this modification anyway, it's just what we needed.

yaumeister

#8 Post by yaumeister » 10 Feb 2016 13:41

Alternatively, may I suggest making the default police CVPI an unmarked unit, then CHP as an additional unit as you did with NHP? Provided you can get rid of the lightbar.

Most importantly, thanks for the great mod!

Stuferus

#9 Post by Stuferus » 10 Feb 2016 14:45

thx this should be in the game by default.. also when arizona comes it needs its own police car skin..

Kamaz

#10 Post by Kamaz » 10 Feb 2016 16:02

Kool, thanks!
A lot of shelter dogs are mutts like me.

Return to “Traffic”