ATS Example file structure mod using templates (Includes Volvo VNL 2018)

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Alarthon

ATS Example file structure mod using templates (Includes Volvo VNL 2018)

#1 Post by Alarthon » 13 Dec 2019 01:52

This is an example mod that uses the truck/trailer templates. It is mainly a file structure, but it is a full functioning mod and makes it very easy to make your owns paint jobs. This mod also makes it easy to tell exactly what section of the template is where on the truck/trailers (as seen with pictures below). Includes all owned trucks and trailers for ATS. Just drop zip file into your mod folder and you are good to go, or unzip and make your own mod.

Latest mod version: 1.19.

Last update: 05/27/2023, Updated with Volvo VNL 2018.

Full example mod (google drive link) (318MB file size)

Only Volvo VNL 2018 mod (google drive link) (23MB file size)

All templates (google drive link) .png files (254MB file size)

Only Volvo VNL 2018 templates (google drive link) .png files (19MB file size)

Use any programs you prefer for editing the files.

Programs I use for editing:
-Photo editing: Gimp
-Text editing: Notepad++
-Tobj editing: HxD (this is a hex editor)

How to:

Download and extract the files.

Either copy and paste the files you need into a new folder or delete the files you do not need.
For example if you are making a cascadia paintjob, delete all the other truck files and delete the trailer files.

This is how to make a single paintjob.

Navigate in the vehicle folder to the truck or trailer. This folder contains the pictures and .tobj (texture object) files.
1.) Copy, paste, rename the folder within the specific truck/trailer folder. This helps to stop conflics between mods
  • For the example mod the folder within is called simply, example
2.) Replace the .dds files with your own. No need to rename the files here. You changed the name of the folder they are in.
3.) Edit the .tobj files to the new file paths.
  • How to use a hex editor is below

Navigate in the material folder. This folder contains icons for the UI ingame.
1.) Copy, paste, rename the .dds, .mat, and .tobj files. These 3 files have matching names.
  • Change .dds to whatever picture you want. This file is 256x64 pixels in size.
  • Open .mat file and edit texture : " " to match the name of the files.
  • Open and edit .tobj
Navigate in the def folder to the truck or trailer.
1.) Copy, paste, rename the .sui and .sii files.
  • For example, a paintjob will be called happy for the cascadia truck: happy_settings.sui (settings file), happyday.sii (day cab file), happysleep.sii (sleeper cab), happyrr.sii (RR cab), happyxt.sii (XT cab)
2.) Edit the .sui and .sii files
  • Open the files in a text editor.
  • For .sui , edit all or at least edit, name and icon.
  • For .sii edit:
    • accessory_paint_job_data :
      • Just change the first part after above to the file name. For example, happyday.sii will be accessory_paint_job_data : happyday.freightliner.cascadia2019.paint_job
    • @include " "
      • change to the .sui file name
    • paint_job_mask: " "
      • Change this to the path within vehicle folder
3.) Navigate to the accessory folder and edit the .sii files
  • Edit all the paint_job_mask: " "
    • These should be the paths in the vehicle folder
Edit manifest.sii, mod_description.txt, and mod_image.jpg
1.) Manifest you can write what ever you want
2.) mod_description you only need to edit author and package_version (if you want, not needed) 3.) mod_image is a .jpg file and is 276x162 pixels in size

To make another paintjob within the same mod just repeat the same steps for the def, material, and vehicle folders/files.

How to use Hex editor (HxD)
  • My settings: 16 bytes per row, Windows (ANSI) for text encoding and hex for offset base
  • Under Decoded text section just type the file path
  • Select the file path to find Length(h):
  • This length goes in collom 08 row 00000020
  • Save the file and delete the .bak file that is created
https://i.imgur.com/0OnlAHt.gif

Here is a paintjob on the Mack with above method for 2 different skins within same mod.

*Tip for paintjobs* If you are not painting anything special on the accessories you can make a 4 pixel by 4 pixel image with the base color of your truck. This will make the file size smaller and be less for the game to load. In the def folder just point the paths to that image.

RGB
RGB works for all trucks. To get it to work for other trucks just copy the setup for the Kenworth truck and edit the files for the new truck. In the def .sii files make sure to edit all lines. In the def .sui you only need to edit the name:, alternate_uvset, and icon.
When making an RGB paintjob make sure to only use black (hex code: 000000 or rgb code: (0, 0, 0)), red (hex: FF0000 or rgb: (255, 0, 0), green (hex: 00FF00 or rgb: (0, 255, 0), and blue (hex: 0000FF or rgb: (0, 0, 255).
Any variation of these colors will make your paintjob colors dull/off color. So for RGB paintjobs you are limited to only 4 different colors on your paintjob.

Metallic Paintjob
Metallic Paintjob example is added to the Mack Anthem. The files in the def folder are mack70m.sii and mack70m_settings.sui.
Metallic is made through the flip / flake settings, so just copy that to other truck files you want metallic on.
Example of the paintjob ingame can be seen here: https://i.imgur.com/nbRQtLY.jpg .

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

If you find any errors in my mod please let me know!

Couple examples.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
Last edited by Alarthon on 27 May 2023 18:47, edited 105 times in total.
BK Vissers

Re: ATS Example mod using templates

#2 Post by BK Vissers » 13 Dec 2019 03:49

Very cool, thank you!
paulofenoll

#3 Post by paulofenoll » 16 Dec 2019 13:26

Thank you and Merry Christmas !!
My passion, the American Trucks ..
maddog39

#4 Post by maddog39 » 19 Dec 2019 00:05

Thanks a ton! Made my first skin last night with your help! Simple but I'll keep iterating on it.

[ external image ]
Alarthon

#5 Post by Alarthon » 21 Dec 2019 05:18

@maddog39 Welcome, glad it worked out well for you!
Alarthon

#6 Post by Alarthon » 18 Feb 2020 16:39

Updated folder and added rear door aero for the box trailers. You can now paint the deflectors whatever you want.
Alarthon

#7 Post by Alarthon » 16 Mar 2020 17:28

Added the food tanker. Also added RGB channel example for the food tanker.
Alarthon

#8 Post by Alarthon » 29 Apr 2020 01:56

Added Mack Anthem. Reorganized material/ui/accessory and vehicle/truck/upgrade/paintjob to separate the files by manufacturers. Added "base_color_locked: false" to International lonestar settings.sui. Added " airbrush: true " to food tank trailers non-rgb settings.
Last edited by Alarthon on 29 Apr 2020 04:36, edited 3 times in total.
jarryed

#9 Post by jarryed » 29 Apr 2020 03:27

Is there a reason why white text is showing as red on the Anthem? Can't seem to figure that out.

ETA: using paint.net. Saving as .dds. BC3(Linear, DXT5). Error Metric is Perceptual. Generate Mip Maps is checked. Fant selected.
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."
Alarthon

#10 Post by Alarthon » 29 Apr 2020 03:49

That was an error on my part. I ended up copying a wrong .sui file that didn't have "airbrush: true" in it. Its updated now and should work. Thank you very much for letting me know about it. If you find anything else just let me know please. If you don't want to redownload it just add " airbrush: true " to the files in def folder, file names are mack48_settings.sui , mack70_settings.sui, mackday_settings.sui
Last edited by Alarthon on 29 Apr 2020 03:55, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Skins”