N00b here seeking map mods for ETS1

RootlessAgrarian

N00b here seeking map mods for ETS1

#1 Post by RootlessAgrarian » 25 Nov 2015 18:56

Looks like I've come very late to the party :-(

If there's a DL source for expansion maps for ETS1 that I can trust -- that won't crash the game or brick my computer -- I'd sure like to find it. I've been googling around but finding that ETS1 is kind of fading away and ETS2 is the current thing.

I like ETS1 though and would like to expand the world a bit, maybe more side roads, some more cool scenery, that kind of stuff.

Have found some old mods here and there but no idea of their quality.

This has to be the coolest sim I have ever played. Sincere congrats to the original authors and the community. I'm just starting out as a poor struggling novice, shuttling produce from CH to IT and back, but I'm having a blast. The lighting and scenery are exceptionally good for the speed and size of the game (my platform is not all that powerful so I appreciate this!)

Anyway I'd like to spend more time in this virtual Europe and have more back roads and cities to explore so would really appreciate recommends for map expansions. Also if there is any cheat/mod that would let me just drive around in a road car now and then for a change (sheer tourism!) that would be fun.
Level 42 and rising... i7 8700K -- AMD Radeon 5700XT -- ASUS MAXIMUS XI HERO - WIN10
NoCabView minimod
Euro Bike Simulator
The Beginner's Guide To SCS Mapping (WIP)
florence3099
Global moderator

Re: N00b here seeking map mods for ETS1

#2 Post by florence3099 » 25 Nov 2015 19:08

To be honest you're going to struggle finding anything for that game now. Most of the good mod sites from that era have disappeared, and all that are left are the reuploading sites with hacked mods and such, which have those download sited which pay per download, with mostly dead links as well.
RootlessAgrarian

#3 Post by RootlessAgrarian » 25 Nov 2015 19:17

yes that is what I have been finding. can't find the megapack (which looked great) or mix map, which seemed to be the Good Stuff. I hate the way stuff just disappears off the Internet... "that era" (sigh) was only 3 years ago!

I was hoping that someone on this group might still have a personal copy of the files that they were willing to share via dropbox or some other legit transfer mechanism. if not, oh well, I am guessing that a lot of the best mods from ETS1 ended up in ETS2, so I'll probably upgrade to ETS2 someday if my platform will run it.
Last edited by Deemer on 25 Nov 2015 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not quote message above yours. [2.4]
Level 42 and rising... i7 8700K -- AMD Radeon 5700XT -- ASUS MAXIMUS XI HERO - WIN10
NoCabView minimod
Euro Bike Simulator
florence3099
Global moderator

#4 Post by florence3099 » 25 Nov 2015 19:28

What are your computer specs? I've managed to get ETS2 running on a 1.9GHz Cerelon, although I seriously wouldn't recommend it. If it's a fairly recent computer you shouldn't have too much trouble, otherwise I seriously would recommend upgrading it or just buying a new one. ETS2 is incredibly superior to ETS1 in every way possible, even at release. After 22 major updates its better than ever.

By the way, a lot of the mods will be hacked/stolen, especially if they say Megapack or Mega mod (although not always true) and end up on these dodgy sites.
Axel Slingerland

#5 Post by Axel Slingerland » 25 Nov 2015 19:43

I wouldn't count all 22 of them as "major" updates. Some are far more involved than others, like 1.9's AI rebuild, but not all of them are quite so ambitious.
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
florence3099
Global moderator

#6 Post by florence3099 » 25 Nov 2015 19:52

Well I was just going off version numbers. :lol:

At least I didn't count every incremental update.... :lol:

Most of those updates have added something new to the game though
RootlessAgrarian

#7 Post by RootlessAgrarian » 27 Nov 2015 04:19

I've found one big map upgrade for ETS1 called -- you guessed it -- "Mega Mix Map" ... "modified by Trul". Is Trul a well-known badguy? Should I run-not-walk away from this file?

It seems hard to DL -- had the DL fail a couple of times. Still trying. If the content is hacked, what's the nature of the attack likely to be? I'm running OSX Lion, so I'm immune to Windows-based hacks, but still vulnerable to various other nasties. Is there any way to assess the innocence or otherwise of a mod for ETS?

To run ETS2 I would have to upgrade to 10.8 at minimum, which would, sigh, probably cripple my poor old laptop with creeping OSX bloat. No vendor in the 'verse seems capable of resisting that insidious tendency to make each new release bigger, more complicated, more of a resource hog.

Meanwhile, having a great time running cargoes from Italy to Switzerland and back, trying to save up enough euros to break into some new territory, maybe France... this is a delightful simulator, way more fun than I would have expected.
NoCabView minimod
Euro Bike Simulator
florence3099
Global moderator

#8 Post by florence3099 » 27 Nov 2015 07:44

About hacking: These files that are referred to as hacks won't do anything bad to your computer. Its a term to describe mods which have had parts from other mods cut and pasted into it without permission. The only virus you are going to get is off some of the dodgier download sites. Adblocker should prevent any problems.
87granny

#9 Post by 87granny » 27 Nov 2015 08:02

Try trucksimulator24.de they still have an ETS1 section and most of their downloads still work, I have a ton of mods for it but I can't upload anything without original authorsize permissions
RootlessAgrarian

#10 Post by RootlessAgrarian » 27 Nov 2015 19:24

I did manage to DL the monster MegaMixMap from the German site, but... what it contains is a huge EXE file. That looks more than slightly suspect to me, and even if it is legit -- i.e. some kind of big Windows exe that installs the maps -- it's useless to me on OSX. What it is, according to 'file', is

Setup_Mega_Mix_Map5_for_ETS.exe: PE32 executable for MS Windows (GUI) Intel 80386 32-bit

That's majorly disappointing, as it took a loooong time to DL and I was pretty excited about the huge, expanded world it would have opened up. So... I'm hooped? Can't run ETS2 w/o installing bloated 10.8+ and probably killing my laptop's performance all round, and can't get maps for ETS1. Is there any hope of finding the original authors?

EDIT
UPDATE

I found a version (NOT "modified by Trul") that looks less frightening. It's a rar which contains a collection of files, one .scs and several m3g.

In reading online instructions for installing mods to ETS1 I see that I should find or create the "mods" folder and copy the scs file(s) into it from the DL'd mod. However, no one mentions the m3g files. Are they just detritus from the creation process, or are they important and needing to be installed in the file tree for the app?

Sorry to be so clueless (and historical as well!) -- I know all about Portal 1 mods but I'm very new to ETS.
Last edited by Deemer on 27 Nov 2015 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not double post. [2.6]
NoCabView minimod
Euro Bike Simulator

Return to “Euro Truck Simulator”