Problem installing mods (Mac OS x)

RootlessAgrarian

Problem installing mods (Mac OS x)

#1 Post by RootlessAgrarian » 29 Nov 2015 06:49

Forgive wrong forum, but I'm desperately trying to find out how to install mods on my OSX copy of ETS1.

I know what the .scs file is, I have checked the contents and they look reasonable, I have put it in ~/Library/Application\ Support/Euro\ Truck\ Simulator/mod. When I start ETS1, there is no indication that the game ever tried to load the mod file. No trace in the log, no error, no nothin'.

Is the OSX version of ETS1 crippled? Is it unable to load mods? Is there any way to make it work?

I know, the real fix is to get ETS2! but that means upgrading my OSX to a rev that probably won't run well on my old, now-considered-feeble MacBook Pro. Whereas ETS1 runs very nicely and I'm hooked -- just want a bigger world.
Level 42 and rising... i7 8700K -- AMD Radeon 5700XT -- ASUS MAXIMUS XI HERO - WIN10
NoCabView minimod
Euro Bike Simulator
The Beginner's Guide To SCS Mapping (WIP)

eusebio1

Re: Problem installing mods (Mac OS x)

#2 Post by eusebio1 » 29 Nov 2015 09:33

I can't really help you with ETS1 as I have only played it for a very short time and never used any mods. Did you check whether you need to activate the mod somewhere in-game?

RootlessAgrarian

#3 Post by RootlessAgrarian » 29 Nov 2015 18:54

[have I tried to active mods from w/in game?]

I have not yet found any opportunity w/in the game to do this.

Only the Options panel allows any setting of parameters etc. It offers me a choice of Display, Keyboard, Controller and GamePlay. None of these subpanels offers anything to do with mods. There is no Profile panel in this version.

I keep thinking that the dev console must support some command that would let me load a mod, but so far no dice.

I guess I should take this question directly to SCS... who will almost certainly tell me to upgrade to ETS2 :-)
Level 42 and rising... i7 8700K -- AMD Radeon 5700XT -- ASUS MAXIMUS XI HERO - WIN10
NoCabView minimod
Euro Bike Simulator

Reinhard

#4 Post by Reinhard » 29 Nov 2015 19:00

ETS 1 had no mod manager. I knew the Windows version only and can't comment any other OS.

With ETS 1 on Windows, you simply put the mods in the mod folder and all of these got loaded, without any conditions. You could manipulate loading order only by file name.

RootlessAgrarian

#5 Post by RootlessAgrarian » 30 Nov 2015 01:41

I have just tried one more thing: unpacked all the mods from the zip (.scs) file and put the unpacked file trees in the mod folder. I thought maybe the OSX version might not be unzipping properly.

Still no joy.

I have also tried explicitly setting the "open with" application for .scs files to "The UnArchiver," a fairly functional OSX unzip utility, just in case the ETS1 app is relying on an external app to open the files for it.

No change. The contents of mod folder are, as far as I can tell, being ignored.

(edit) I can run the devel console but it appears in a narrow band at top of screen. If I try <Tab> to see all commands, most of them instantly scroll off the screen and there's no way to scroll them back down, so it's hard to say what the available commands might be. In game.log there is a record of the console commands I typed but not of the output from the console, so I don't see a way to get a listing of available commands (grrrr).

In some online docs I have read, "edit" is said to be a dev console command, and so is "load" -- but in my version both "edit" and "load" get me "no such command".

I'm beginning to think the OSX release was feature-stripped somehow, so that it's kind of a crippled version of the Windows release -- missing the map editor, maybe missing mod support altogether. That is very sad, as the great appeal of these open-world sims is all the creative mods from the community!
NoCabView minimod
Euro Bike Simulator

jarvik79

#6 Post by jarvik79 » 30 Nov 2015 09:14

Considering ETS1 is well over 7 years old, as you already know it's time to consider getting a new computer if it can't even run the OS.
I appreciate that being thrify is a virtue, but there comes a point you have to accept that if you want something significantly better than you have, you have to pay for it.

SimulatorSam

#7 Post by SimulatorSam » 30 Nov 2015 14:01

According to the Steam page for Euro Truck Simulator...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/232010/ wrote:Note: Unofficial "mods" are not supported by the Mac OS version of the game! (file formats are not compatible with Windows PC version)

Return to “Euro Truck Simulator”