Black textures help. Do I need to update my textures?

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Mack RD690s

Black textures help. Do I need to update my textures?

#1 Post by Mack RD690s » 28 Aug 2020 22:28

I have not played this game in a long time, and realized that many of my AI traffic mods are now just black textures. When launched in DX11 the skins work fine, but when launched in OpenGL and the default "Play American Truck simulator" options everything is black textured. Do I need to update my DDS files to a certain format? I have always saved as targa with alpha from Photoshop and then converted to DXT 5 DDS format in DXTBmp. My skins never have alpha channels, but some of my lamp masks do have alpha channels, and yet those textures are not working in OpenGL or the default launch option either. What gives? Help would be appreciated, thank you.
Heroes never die... for $9,999.99
[ external image ]
PBandJ

Re: Black textures help. Do I need to update my textures?

#2 Post by PBandJ » 28 Aug 2020 22:44

You should be running it in DX11. I don't think it will work correctly in OpenGL settings since the update from 1.37 I think. Not sure why that is even an option in steam any longer? Unless it is for the ones who have not update due to PC's not being able to run newer versions.
xXCARL1992Xx

#3 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 28 Aug 2020 22:57

it is an option because OpenGL is used for Linux and macOS ?

the textures were just incorrectly saved, if you save them you should always use the conversion tools because then they are 100% working with every version of the game after you convert them
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
PBandJ

#4 Post by PBandJ » 29 Aug 2020 00:08

ah thanks for that Carl, didn't think about that option of Linux and macs.
Mack RD690s

#5 Post by Mack RD690s » 30 Aug 2020 07:12

I have tried to use the converter tools and the textures still don't work. In Photoshop when I export form targa it gives me the option for 16bit, 24bit, or 32bit. I always save the targa as 32bit, is this a possible cause of the issue?
[ external image ]
Dogface

#6 Post by Dogface » 19 Oct 2021 22:43

I am having the same problem with one of my Steam trailer skins. Has anyone found a solution?
Mack RD690s

#7 Post by Mack RD690s » 12 Sep 2022 20:30

Using the Nvidia texture suite and selecting the DXT4 and DXT5 option has allowed me to have mod support for OpenGL.
[ external image ]

Return to “Help requests”