What does universal folder mean?

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check chapters [4] and [5] of Forum Rules.
wcwood92

What does universal folder mean?

#1 Post by wcwood92 » 27 Feb 2021 04:15

Looking at some mod folder paths a see a folder named “universal”
What does this mean?

Thanks 8-)

Underscore_101_

Re: What does universal folder mean?

#2 Post by Underscore_101_ » 27 Feb 2021 07:08

The universal folder is often the folder containing the mod, many people use that name, I think because it's been taught that way.
Like "universal/def/vehicle/etc...."

If you mean a different "universal" folder then idk :-)

Reinhard

#3 Post by Reinhard » 27 Feb 2021 07:55

SCS once published an example how to build a workshop mod. That mod was named "universal".

Some modders didn't get the idea, that of course they should give their mods individual names... So there were many mods with that very name uploaded, making it difficult to get a clue when analyzing a game log.

wcwood92

#4 Post by wcwood92 » 27 Feb 2021 13:21

Underscore_101_ wrote:
27 Feb 2021 07:08
The universal folder is often the folder containing the mod, many people use that name, I think because it's been taught that way.
Like "universal/def/vehicle/etc...."

If you mean a different "universal" folder then idk :-)
Reinhard wrote:
27 Feb 2021 07:55
SCS once published an example how to build a workshop mod. That mod was named "universal".

Some modders didn't get the idea, that of course they should give their mods individual names... So there were many mods with that very name uploaded, making it difficult to get a clue when analyzing a game log.

That's exactly what I was getting at, and that makes sense.
I'm trying to make a cargo market mod. I know that all the states have their own .scs file in the main directory. Some states have unique companies, Denver Airport, for example.
If I make a def file with all my appropriate data, will this apply to all the states? Or is there an additional step I have to do?

Reinhard

#5 Post by Reinhard » 27 Feb 2021 15:08

wcwood92 wrote:
27 Feb 2021 13:21
If I make a def file with all my appropriate data, will this apply to all the states? Or is there an additional step I have to do?
My interest in the game economy is close to zero. I have no knowledge about such stuff. Maybe somebody else can answer that.

KrysEmlyn

#6 Post by KrysEmlyn » 27 Feb 2021 17:39

It is my understanding that the "universal" folder means that the mod is version agnostic (will work on any version of the game).
Several of the Steam Workshop mods I use have version specific folders and those folders are only loaded by specific game versions by the "versions.sii" file settings.

Underscore_101_

#7 Post by Underscore_101_ » 27 Feb 2021 17:41

That makes no difference, the game version a mod will work on is set in the manifest file.

Reinhard

#8 Post by Reinhard » 27 Feb 2021 18:24

I have seen logs where there were a whole bunch of different "universal.zip" mods. Which makes it difficult to solve problems. It is really nothing else than bad practice.

xXCARL1992Xx

#9 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 27 Feb 2021 18:27

the name of the zip should be irrelevant, if i want to solve an error on a SW mod i would look for the number and not the name of the zip, but given that the uploader checks every file an error is almost impossible other than maybe compatibility with other mods
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

Reinhard

#10 Post by Reinhard » 27 Feb 2021 18:41

Seriously? Proper mod names makes things easier, because you remember these. It's called mnemonics. Second, the mod name often gives at least a hint what the mod is about.
xXCARL1992Xx wrote:
27 Feb 2021 18:27
an error is almost impossible other than maybe compatibility with other mods
Then we should be grateful that this almost never happens. :lol:

Return to “Help requests”