Editing Rims

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
supersobes
Global moderator

Editing Rims

#1 Post by supersobes » 28 Mar 2021 21:04

I don't particularly like how the steel rims look in 1.40, so I want to make a mod that changes them. I want to change the off-white appearance of them to a true-white appearance like they would be on a real truck. I assume the best way to do this would be to import the rims into Blender and change the material texture of them. The problem is, when I import the rims into Blender, they are a completely different model than they are in the game. They look like the rims from the trucks in the AI traffic rather than the player truck, but how can that be when I got this model from base\vehicle\truck\upgrade\wheel? If somebody could help point me in the right direction to achieve what I want to do, I will be very grateful for that.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
Alarthon

Re: Editing Rims

#2 Post by Alarthon » 29 Mar 2021 13:45

That is because you are indeed importing the wrong one. What you want is actually in f_disc. So the front_disc_steel.sii points to " model: "/vehicle/truck/upgrade/wheel/disc/front_disc_steel.pmd" "
supersobes
Global moderator

#3 Post by supersobes » 22 Apr 2021 19:31

Thanks, @Alarthon! That's exactly what I was looking for! :)

When I said I wanted to change the off-white look at a true-white look, I assumed that I was going to have to use an image editing software of some sort to edit the material texture that is used on this model. But when I was clicking around with the settings in Blender, I found one called Color Space Linear. When I clicked it, it made the texture brighter. With that tick box enabled, I exported the model the the game, and the brighter texture appeared in the game too. Below is a comparison. I made sure that the lighting in the comparison was the same by using the same location, same time of day, and same skybox. This is pretty much what I was looking for! It made the texture brighter so that it matches the colour of the truck better. But I don't really understand what Color Space Linear is for or what it does. Obviously it makes the texture brighter, but what is the technical explanation behind it? Is using this option a good idea for the mod I wanted to make, or would it be better if I went with my original plan and edited the texture file itself?

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
xXCARL1992Xx

#4 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 22 Apr 2021 19:40

texture uses linear color space instead of sRGB (i think it is sRGB) it is used for occlusion textures like texture baked AO on the new trailers, i also use it on my parts that have a baked AO (my Cascadia bullbar for example)

if you want the rim to be really white you can just use a white texture or you make your own AO bake for it
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
supersobes
Global moderator

#5 Post by supersobes » 22 Apr 2021 21:02

Thanks for the explanations! I tried your suggestion about using a plain white texture by making the entire image white in the file called front_disc_steel_c.dds, and that looks really good too. It looks closest to the real-life reference I was using.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
xXCARL1992Xx

#6 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 22 Apr 2021 21:04

only hing you loose are the "used" marks on the rim, maybe try to brighten the original texture if you want them to look used ?

also, if you just use plain white you can reduce the texture size to 4x4, saves a bit of VRAM
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
supersobes
Global moderator

#7 Post by supersobes » 22 Apr 2021 21:59

I tried brightening the original texture, but it didn't really turn out too well. The wear lines on the rim are so faint that they get ruined when the image is brightened, so the difference between that and plain white is very small and hardly noticeable.

Since I'm sticking with the plain white, I'll reduce the texture size so save resources.
Jr_Fan

#8 Post by Jr_Fan » 17 Sep 2022 22:40

Hate to bump an old post but may I ask how you were able to export the rim from blender to work in the game? I'm trying to change the color on the rims of a trailer for the ai from the MS2 Standalone Trailer wheels. Can't figure out how to export it as a pmd file. Thanks in advance!
supersobes
Global moderator

#9 Post by supersobes » 18 Sep 2022 01:46

You have to use SCS Conversion Tools. Download that, and in the output properties tab in Blender, put in the file path to where you installed conversion tools. That should then allow you to use the output properties tab to export, convert, and pack the mod all from within Blender.

Return to “Help requests”