Offering Sound assistance for Volvo trucks. - 2018/2019 VNL/VNR

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check chapters [4] and [5] of Forum Rules.
Nascar_Perry

Offering Sound assistance for Volvo trucks. - 2018/2019 VNL/VNR

#1 Post by Nascar_Perry » 15 Feb 2020 04:58

I have the ability to assist sound creators including @kriechbaum and @Leen with sound files for the Volvo VNL series.

First let's break this down real quickly for those unfamiliar with what sounds are associated with what Volvo series.
image01.jpg
The SCS Volvo is the 2017 and earlier design of the VNL, during this point, there really wasn't a VNR series, we would just refer to the smaller bunks as a VNL-430, VNL-630, etc. They have a distinct sound when it comes to the air horns (A high/low horn) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsiUUcy5_L0 as well as interior sounds that differ from the newer model trucks.
Volvo-VNL-long-haul-tractor-1.jpg
The 2018 and up is a completely redesigned truck with a redesigned D-series engine (D11, D13, D16) The Air Horn and city horn sound the same. However everything else sounds much different. The engine is the only one that sounds similar to the 2017 series, but has more tech and being redesigned has a slightly different sound at various RPM levels and at idle. The interior chimes, dings and bells are 100% different from the 2017 series. For instance, the Low Air Warning chimes sound much different from each other.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsiUUcy5_L0

I have operated both series of the Volvo for the past 4 years and have a very intimate understanding of their sounds right down to how they sound hitting bumps. Both series were Volvo D13 425HP engines.

I can help to provide audio/video files for the 2019 series (my current rig) and earlier to whatever specifications you need. There are a variety of sounds to consider with the Volvo US trucks which I would be more than happy to help provide.

https://youtu.be/WavOFAPkZzM
I am pulling the yellow tractor brake knob (applying air brakes)
You can hear the engine at idle in the background

https://youtu.be/hagksaxNwD8
As I release the brakes, you can eventually hear me select the drive gear

https://youtu.be/S_kzq8YVeK0
I was hoping the Low Air chime would have sounded, but with the engine off, the chime doesn't sound. But good for hearing the brake pedal being pressed.

I would be more then happy to try and record sounds needed to create a sweet soundest for the VNL series.
Senior Transport Truck Linehaul Driver - Toronto - Montreal Canada
Driver Trainer and AZ Driving Instructor

Certified in operating Container, Dry Van, Rolltight (Sliding Tarp), StepDeck/Flatbed, Lowboy, Rocky Mountain B Train

ArTrailfanRaf214

Re: Offering Sound assistance for Volvo trucks. - 2018/2019 VNL/VNR

#2 Post by ArTrailfanRaf214 » 15 Feb 2020 15:03

Superb!Now we have a realistic sound mod for both Old and New VNL`s.
FMOD sound modder for ATS and ETS2

Leen

#3 Post by Leen » 15 Feb 2020 18:27

@Nascar_Perry you can be helpfull to make the VNL more realistic and I appreciated but I prefer sounds with less background noises or engine noises if it is possible and the different sounds of the old and new model VNL and please do not hesitate to tell me what can better in my sound.

I have use your videos for the handbrake airbrake (brakepedal) and horns

Nascar_Perry

#4 Post by Nascar_Perry » 15 Feb 2020 21:27

Leen wrote:
15 Feb 2020 18:27
@Nascar_Perry you can be helpfull to make the VNL more realistic and I appreciated but I prefer sounds with less background noises or engine noises if it is possible and the different sounds of the old and new model VNL and please do not hesitate to tell me what can better in my sound.

I have use your videos for the handbrake airbrake (brakepedal) and horns
It would be my pleasure. I will try to gt most of the sounds to play without the engine running, or worst case, I can use Audacity to remove the engine out. The one that will be complicated to replicate without a stereo is the D series engine brake which is a very unique sound. On stock Volvo D engines, it is usually the "retarder engine brake" as opposed to the usual ground thumping engine brake. A good video explaining it would be here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQktccb9Ch8&t=34s This would apply to both series of Volvos. I'm trying to find the sound, worst case, by Wednesday I will have the sound for you along with several others from the 2019 series.

Your engine sounds are pretty spot on, I would be trying to up the interior volume though as you do clearly hear the engine at work inside with the windows closed. For the 2017 and 2019 series I drive, you wouldn't hear any chimes on starting unless it is the low air warning sound with the D series engines. Shutting down it sounds like a the truck shakes. I am shocked a lot of these sounds are not found on YouTube, but this doesn't surprise me either.

If there are any particular sounds you also need, do let me know. I run from Toronto to Montreal in Canada, usually starting Sundays at 7pm and not back till Tuesday at 9pm so during that time I can retrieve a lot of different sounds

Certified in operating Container, Dry Van, Rolltight (Sliding Tarp), StepDeck/Flatbed, Lowboy, Rocky Mountain B Train

Leen

#5 Post by Leen » 16 Feb 2020 05:05

I'm happy you will make some recordings from the 2019 model because there aren't enough good videos to take sound files from, if the different in switches sound and other sounds so different form the older model I'm grateful you will recording those sounds.
Thanks a lot for this offer and I will wish you a good and safety trip on the roads.

Nascar_Perry

#6 Post by Nascar_Perry » 19 Feb 2020 01:37

@Leen Hopefully those new sound videos made it to you ok. I reviewed them carefully as I was adding information in the description and noticed some background sounds I was hoping not to catch :roll:

Leen

#7 Post by Leen » 19 Feb 2020 05:11

It sounds good to me but I have to listen it on my PC where I making normally sound mods but I will let you know it today.

Nascar_Perry

#8 Post by Nascar_Perry » 19 Feb 2020 22:07

Oh ok, sounds good
Last edited by Mohegan13 on 21 Feb 2020 09:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote Removed - Don't quote the post directly above.

Return to “Modding Guides”