FMOD AI traffic sound workflow [BEGINNER]

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check chapters [4] and [5] of Forum Rules.
Drive Safely

FMOD AI traffic sound workflow [BEGINNER]

#1 Post by Drive Safely » 12 Mar 2020 02:42

This is a guide to help you get started with modding AI traffic car sounds. I decided to start with cars first because I've yet to experiment with how the braking and gear shift sounds work with the AI traffic trucks.
This will be for very simple sounds for those used to modding AI traffic car sounds in 1.36. More complex sounds may be possible with more experiments. Special thanks to Robinicus and Harven for helping me with the technical side of FMOD.

First download and extract this project file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=10EeIY ... CVjXVQA_rp
This will show you exactly how I've made the sounds for the Subaru WRX STI in AI traffic. Read on for an explanation.

Sound assets
Assets are the sound files used in your FMOD project. You can add your own by going to File → Import Assets

In the Assets tab we have three sound files:

car_tire_noise.wav
This is a tire sound specifically for cars. Feel free to reuse this sound for your own mods, but keep in mind it's not meant for large vehicles like buses or trucks.

subaru_wrx_sti_high1.wav
This is a clean sound loop of a Subaru WRX STI's stock sound while driving. Constant speed sound samples are easy to manage for simple AI traffic car sound modding.

subaru_wrx_sti_idle1.wav
Finally, this is a sound loop of a Subaru WRX STI idling.

Event layout and volume settings
In the subaru_wrx_sti_2015_engine event, you can find how I've organized my sounds. Each sound has a separate audio track.
There are two magnet regions used. One controls the idle sound with a speed transition condition (0.00 to 8.00 km/h).
The other controls the engine sound with a speed transition condition (8.00 to 249 km/h). These transition conditions can be adjusted down the bottom after clicking the magnet region.
Because my tire noise sound loop is not the same length as my engine sound sample, I've repeated the sound and arranged it so it loops seamlessly in the second magnet region.

Here you can also adjust the volume of the sounds using the volume knobs. I have my sound volumes optimized for the medium (default) setting on the traffic volume slider. For sounds of motorbikes you'd definitely want it to sound louder than my example.
Click for full size

Speed parameter
Now you might be wondering what is the speed transition condition? It is based on the speed parameter. Next to "Timeline" is the "speed" tab. If you press the play button and drag the timeline marker, you can hear how your AI car will sound like at different speeds without having to go in-game.

Note that AI cars have a maximum speed. If you need to increase or decrease the max speed for your project view, right click on the speed tab, select "Edit Parameter" and edit the max range value.
Click for full size

Pitch curve for engine sound
While you're in the speed tab, expand the "engine" track. This will show the pitch curve I've set up for the engine sound. It's quite similar to the 1.36 implementation. At 8km/h, the sound is at a very low pitch, and as the car increases speed, the curve smoothly brings up the pitch of the sound. One thing I've noticed is bringing the pitch higher than the original sound can cause your sound loop to "finish" quickly, which causes a silence break in the sound. So I don't put the pitch over 0.00 st for that reason.

Click for full size

This pitch curve, in my opinion, will help make a believable acceleration and deceleration, but it will depend a lot on your sound sample and whether it's in an average and constant speed.

Volume curve for tire noise
Here's something we couldn't do in 1.36. :) Expand the tire_noise track to reveal a volume curve I've set up for the tire noise. We all know you shouldn't hear the rush of tire sounds while the car is idling, so we use a volume curve based on the speed of the car. As the car increases in speed, the tire noise becomes more audible until its reached the original volume. While the car is at a very low speed, the tire noise won't be audible at all.
Click for full size

Volume curve for idle sound
I've also added a volume curve for tire noise, but this is just to help make the transition between the engine sound smoother. Remember with magnet regions, the sound will not play if the speed is outside the speed transition condition. So even if the curve is at -16.0 dB at 10km/h, the sound won't play because it's outside the idle sound speed transition condition (0 to 8 km/h).

Hope this helps! :) More complex sounds may be possible, but I think it will require a lot of creativity. Being able to base sound files on speed alone unlocks more possibilities than before 1.37.

Read ADVANCED guide
Last edited by Drive Safely on 17 Mar 2020 03:48, edited 1 time in total.

cip

Re: FMOD AI traffic car sound workflow

#2 Post by cip » 12 Mar 2020 09:32

dear Drive Safely, excellent work on this tutorial which will be indeed very helpful to everyone who want to change default traffic sounds! Many thanks and also thanks to @Harven for his patience to explain FMOD countless possibilities.
I will look at home at your project and from what I see in your images, your approach is less complicated than my approach so definitely your tutorial will help improving my project too! you know we have different visions about traffic sounds and with the new options our mods will be even more different at the end, which is very positive thing ;) the difference in our sounds is that I will avoid the pitch option for engine sounds and use it only for tire noise. also my sounds will have high and low sounds for cars but I struggle to find a good control on the speed where this transition should happen and of course I want it flexible for each Ai. same as you I will leave the trucks sound at the end hoping also that SCS will update wiki eventually with the traffic sounds too so we can see how they did it ;)
regards,
cip
Enjoy driving with my Real Traffic Density for ETS2 and ATS
Enjoy listening my Real Ai Traffic FMOD Sounds for ETS2 and ATS
I have quit SCS forum...

Harven
Global moderator

#3 Post by Harven » 12 Mar 2020 10:09

It's a shame you guys are avoiding the "revs" parameter and avoiding doing autopitch based on that. In 1.37 ai vehicles are reving engines and changing gears - revs parameter reflects all that. But I fully understand your reasons, you want to reuse old samples used in pre 1.37 mods which were not meant to change pitch. But with pitching according to revs parameter you could do even more realistic traffic sound mods - that would of course require new engine samples :)

Drive Safely

#4 Post by Drive Safely » 12 Mar 2020 10:31

@Harven - I'm aware of the other parameters but I still have experimenting to do with them. Hopefully the modding wiki will have some documentation and an example ready soon to make things easier.
I do plan on my mod using the more complex approach for AI traffic trucks. :)

Rockeropasiempre

#5 Post by Rockeropasiempre » 12 Mar 2020 11:26

Companion @Drive Safely . My thanks for your sample for AI traffic. As I mentioned in other threads, the possibilities are many with this software. What harven says, i get it, and the cip project about (highs, mids, and lows) too. You also have to add what is in my head, which would be gear changes (first, second, third ...) All this is piling up in my head and is quite complex. I thank you again, because there are things like the sound curves that you show in the idle tab, that I was unaware of.

Greetings
Image Image

Always soft

Rockeropasiempre

#6 Post by Rockeropasiempre » 12 Mar 2020 11:59

@Drive Safely

How to get the icon to appear in order to modulate the sound curve. In my case it does not appear, something I am doing wrong:

Regards
Image Image

Always soft

Harven
Global moderator

#7 Post by Harven » 12 Mar 2020 12:10

Right click on the volume dial and select "Add Automation"

Rockeropasiempre

#8 Post by Rockeropasiempre » 12 Mar 2020 12:18

@Harven

Thanks
Image Image

Always soft

cip

#9 Post by cip » 12 Mar 2020 16:04

@Harven I make traffic sounds since May 2018 and tested thousands of them in game. currently I have a database of more than 1.000 traffic sounds which I plan to integrate progressively in both games. these are truly real sound recorded from exhausts and engines of cars, SUVs, VANs, buses, trucks, motorcycles that will not work well with pitch options of FMOD.
default sounds of traffic are all engine recordings at 2 different RPM and no shifting, as I can hear in game there are no shifting of Ai made via FMOD effects neither. my vision about traffic is that a RPM sound at different pitch/volume or any other effect will never be the same as a real sound. I know revs exists in 1.36 and never liked it, luckily the sound at low speed was also reduced and thus it's not very disturbing... besides, a shifting embedded in the sound, with no effects, is a bonus for any Ai sound ;) my problem would be how to skip it when Ai decrease speed :D (in case I decide to make it separately),
Enjoy driving with my Real Traffic Density for ETS2 and ATS
Enjoy listening my Real Ai Traffic FMOD Sounds for ETS2 and ATS
I have quit SCS forum...

Rockeropasiempre

#10 Post by Rockeropasiempre » 13 Mar 2020 07:44

@Drive Safely

Hello compi I wanted to ask you if you tried the initial traffic project in the game ??

I have not tried yours, I am making an individual one and I still have things to fix.

Regards
Image Image

Always soft

Return to “Modding Guides”