FMOD AI traffic sound workflow [ADVANCED]

Drive Safely

FMOD AI traffic sound workflow [ADVANCED]

#1 Post by Drive Safely » 17 Mar 2020 03:47

This guide is aimed at those willing to make the most out of FMOD to get an even more realistic AI traffic vehicle sound in-game using more than 3 sound samples per vehicle.
For this I'll be showing my example I used for the MCI MC-12 bus in AI traffic. I will assume you have read the beginner guide and know the basics already.

First download and extract this project file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=150Thq ... WABKPfQ3gc
This will show you exactly how I've made the sounds for the MCI MC-12 bus in AI traffic. Read on for an explanation.

Revs parameter
In this guide I want to introduce you to the revs parameter. It's very much like modding the engine sounds for trucks at different RPMs.
The rev parameter's lowest value is 0, and the highest value is 1. I have placed my sounds for different RPMs in an audio track.
Note how the sounds will overlap and make use of the fade curves for a smooth transition to different samples.

Another major difference from the beginner tutorial is that we're not using magnet regions now that the idle sound goes in the revs parameter.
This is because when the vehicle is idling, the idle speed will be in a low RPM.
Click for full size

Brake whistle implementation
Of course, you can still use the speed parameter for certain sounds. I've used an engine audio track and a tire_noise audio track which make use of the speed parameter for determining its volume.
Now the interesting track I've added based on speed is the brake_whistle audio track. Here I've added a multi instrument (which you can add by right clicking and selecting "Add Multi Instrument" in an audio track).
The multi instrument allows for different sounds to be played when it is triggered. Now, we want different brake whistle sounds to play when the bus makes a stop to make the sound less repetitive.
You can drag and drop sounds from the Assets tab in the "Playlist" at the bottom when selecting the multi instrument.
I've set the sound to only play at very low speeds and made sure the "Loop Playlist" toggle was off so the sound doesn't loop.
Next I added a parameter condition to the multi instrument based on the revs parameter (0.00 to 0.20).
This would cause the brake whistle sound to only trigger when there was no acceleration (as low RPM means the bus is likely idling or stopping with the low speed condition that already applies).
Click for full size

And there you have it! Some advanced methods to help bring more realism to the game. :)

Read BEGINNER guide

Rockeropasiempre

Re: FMOD AI traffic sound workflow [ADVANCED]

#2 Post by Rockeropasiempre » 17 Mar 2020 11:06

Very good work mate @Drive Safely . I will take it into account for work with traffic mods.

I would like to contribute something to your workflow thread with Fmod, for everyone. It will be very useful for traffic and other possible uses.
You comment that you have added several types of sound to make it less repetitive with multiple instrument action. Well, if we want the sounds in this case to be less repetitive, and have a greater variety, we can, in a first step, add several sounds as you have commented, but if, in turn, to this group of sounds, we apply a "RANDOM" modulation automation, this will be much better, since every time the program launches this track, it will do it randomly. To make everything easier to understand, I have created a video where I leave a sample of it, to see how it works exactly.

Magnetic regions work well, but it's much better the way you say. I also discovered this by creating the sound banks for my engine mod with the harven videos reference. We do not stop learning here friend :geek: :D
Image Image

Always soft

cip

#3 Post by cip » 17 Mar 2020 14:18

@Drive Safely, @Rockeropasiempre nice to see you make real progress, especially Drive Safely ;) these days I am more concerned by the safety of my kids, in Brussels supermarkets are starting to become empty. the toilet paper crisis is real and it happens here as well :) so modding and playing are far behind these critical days, anyway my mind is not focused to learn more than basics FMOD mixes according to speed. I still don't understand how revs work and how to establish the sounds on a scale 0 to 1 :lol: the bus sound must be nice, I will have a look in game when I will start it, thanks!
Enjoy driving with my Real Traffic Density for ETS2 and ATS
Enjoy listening my Real Ai Traffic FMOD Sounds for ETS2 and ATS
currently on strike :D beta testing and bug reports are temporarily suspended from my activity until further decisions :lol:

Rockeropasiempre

#4 Post by Rockeropasiempre » 17 Mar 2020 16:26

Companion @cip, don't worry about progression in all of this. As you say, it is more important what you have said about your children and the world situation right now because of the damn virus.
Later, as some of us can progress, we will make this knowledge available to you and to the entire community. Personally I have already created several sound banks for some engines in my pack, and I am taking the time to manage my audio files for future traffic.
As for what is important right now, it is global security, as you said. In Spain, we are going through, as you will see on television, a really confusing situation. We are confined at home 24 hours. As a tribute to our medical system, every day, people come out to applaud them at 20:00. In stores, they are buying desperately, and the flagship product is toilet paper. But other types of products are also being affected.
Our streets are already being managed by the army, and the police, local, municipal, national and civil guard, obeys orders from the government directly.
We still have several weeks ahead. We try to live this situation in the best possible way.

Regards
Image Image

Always soft

cip

#5 Post by cip » 06 Apr 2020 15:36

@Drive Safely I like how you make use of the revs to integrate the sounds, although I prefer more the speed parameter in my sounds, at least for cars I don't really need revs but for trucks it's of course different. I would like to use your method for trucks jake brake but I have the feeling that a different approach is needed because of 2 points.
1. I would activate the jake brake sounds at low revs, but the jake sound must activate only at high speed (more than 40 km/h only) so I am not sure if Ai really have their rpm at zero when braking or the revs will act purely in relation with their speed.
2. the engine sound need to be cut off when jake brake will engage but in the same time I don't want a jake brake every time when the Ai trucks do not accelerate.
so I am curious if you have worked already with trucks sounds and if you made it working. I am sure that you are interested in jake brake too :D currently I am still in 1.36 for playing and cannot test, I only work with FMOD to convert as many sounds as I can... many thanks!
currently on strike :D beta testing and bug reports are temporarily suspended from my activity until further decisions :lol:

Drive Safely

#6 Post by Drive Safely » 06 Apr 2020 20:20

I haven't tested jake brakes yet for AI traffic. Maybe there is a way but I'm not sure yet

cip

#7 Post by cip » 07 Apr 2020 00:07

I found it ;) but I am not sure if Ai trucks will really have decrease rpm when braking, if they do it will work. I alternated the high engine sound and the jake sounds as following: both only above 40 km/h and jake will play anytime the rmp is below 0.25 and the engine when rpm it's above 0.25. for lower than 40 km/h there is only a low truck engine.. to be tested in game :D

Return to “Modding Guides”