How to make your own truck skin (easy way)

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check chapters [4] and [5] of Forum Rules.
Smitty0220

How to make your own truck skin (easy way)

#1 Post by Smitty0220 » 25 Apr 2020 03:31

Best thing about trucking in my opinion is that every truck is unique. A lot of people love to play this game as a sim or just to relax after a long day, either way everyone loves something that makes them stand out from the rest.
Making a truck skin is a lot easier than some may think, where the hardest part is really just overcome by practicing and seeing what designs, fonts and such look good for the template/truck you're using.
Before we get started you will need to download a couple of things.

https://www.getpaint.net/download.html ----- Here is an easy to use program, you will use to design your skins.

viewtopic.php?f=199&t=204525 ------ Quick way to setup files for your skin (For the tutorial I will be using ATS Mods Studio as that's what I'm familiar with.)

Once everything is downloaded you're ready to begin.

First depending on what truck you want to make a skin for you will need the template for it. When you open your template for your truck you will see the outline of the truck and help guide you and give you a sense of what your truck will look like.

I always suggest the first thing you do upon opening paint.net is to add multiple "Layers". I like to mainly use 4 layers to start out with. Template, Main Colour, Secondary Colours/designs, Decals
Depending on what state you want your truck to go to or be from will change on what is needed on your truck so I suggest to look up the DOT regulations. Most of the time you will just need your logo, fire extinguisher inside, and USDOT#
Screenshot (60).png
Once you're happy with what your truck looks like you're ready to continue. First thing I suggest is to save your skin as a pdn. After you will want to save your skin as a dds file and save the file under the following settings:
Screenshot (61).png
Now if you already don't have the truck you want to add your skin to, this will show you where to find the info to add a truck off the steam website (Your location of files may be different depending on where you have your steam saved at) First you'll want to go to the screen to be able to add your skin, which will be located in the top left of the program (yellow gear) - Options - Truck Database - Add Truck.
tutorial2.jpg
Once your screen matches above you're ready to continue.
You'll want to create the following details to your liking. If you would like to make this a metallic skin you will need check "metallic color" and will need to add a "flake noise" (Makes the paint sparkle) https://sharemods.com/xc8gsont2qty/flake_noise.dds.html Now if you want to change the colour of your truck, you will leave the background blank. Anything you put on the truck will not change colour. To have this option make sure to de-select "Set skin as stock" under skin properties tab
and once you have all green check marks you're ready to go! Click Export mod - Save the skin as the name you want and now your skin is ready to be added to your "mods" file.
Screenshot (75).png
ats_20200424_200251_00.jpg
Thanks for reading and hope it helps!

Mod used: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1832939055
Last edited by Wolfi on 25 Apr 2020 05:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to more fitting forum section.

Underscore_101_

Re: How to make your own truck skin (easy way)

#2 Post by Underscore_101_ » 25 Apr 2020 20:54

The best and easiest way to make paint jobs is to not use mods studio (old or new), but use a folder structure.
Sure, it takes a little bit more time to setup, but it saves soo much time when you need to make changes.

On a side note, Photoshop gives more font options, and a way to alter fonts when they are not exactly like the original, or the way you want them.

Smitty0220

#3 Post by Smitty0220 » 25 Apr 2020 21:15

Photoshop is way better but not free.
And this is a fast dirty way to get started. Couldn’t find anything about Tobj files so this just does everything for you, then you can look through stuff to see how it’s all setup.
You also only need to run everything through ATS studios once than just use 7zip to make little changes on the fly.
Takes roughly 10 mins for me doing it this way

PBandJ

#4 Post by PBandJ » 26 Apr 2020 11:48

@Underscore_101_ do you have a step by step method to not using the mods studio program for people to follow to make a skin?

Underscore_101_

#5 Post by Underscore_101_ » 26 Apr 2020 15:44

I don't, but Youtube has a lot of them.

On a side note, sorry for coming out a bit strong on the OP, when I started making skins I used the original ets2 mods studio (as well), and it's a great tool if you just want to slap a logo on your truck, but skinning gets a bit more complicated when you want to make parts a different colour, or design, specially if you want to make them for ets2 or ats and ets2 trailers when accessory files are needed.
Or truck mods and trailers, sure truck mods can be easily added to ets2 studio, but,...

The other thing when saving the paint job as a .scs you need to open the file from within 7zip or WinRAR and when finished save it twice, once the file, and once the changes to the .scs.
When you use a folder structure you can have the game and Photoshop open, make changes if needed, save it and immediately go to the game and check the paint job.
Keeping your base file as a .psd is always better than any other file type, certainly better than reworking a .dds
Another reason to use a folder structure is that you're able to put multiple paint jobs for multiple trucks and trailers in one mod easier, and easier to change, you won't have to go through the mod manager for every change or addition, just save and play.

I suppose I'm speaking from some experience which makes it a lot easier, but eventually,...

The comment about fonts is a serious issue for me though, when I make a paint job after a real life hauler (and share it) I always make sure the font is correct, I've seen nice paint jobs from other people where they just didn't use the right font (or worse), nor make the right changes needed, sometimes a logo looks like a font, but it has small details different, those differences need to be made into the paint job, no sacrifices can be made on that (when sharing), anyways, that's just mho

Return to “Modding Guides”