HOW TO: Enable reefer sounds for your trailer mod with Sound Fixes Pack

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Drive Safely

HOW TO: Enable reefer sounds for your trailer mod with Sound Fixes Pack

#1 Post by Drive Safely » 17 Apr 2021 04:16

⚠️ Note: Reefer sounds aren't currently a standard feature in the game so this is a workaround we can pioneer for now, until it's supported in the game in the future. :)
If this idea proves popular, it may signal to SCS Software to support such a feature in the game one day. ⚠️

Do you have a reefer trailer mod and want reefer sounds for it?

The Sound Fixes Pack (v21.88 and newer) has a reefer sound bank added to it that modders can reference. Very important: This method is applicable to Freight Market reefer trailer mods, but there is a workaround for owned trailers to get the sound to play.
First I will explain the quirks of the mod.

Important quirks to note

- This relies on the wind sound to "carry" the reefer sound once you drive, so other wind noise mods won't be compatible.
- "Noise of the flowing air" must be activated in the Audio settings.
- Due to the way the wind sounds are optimized in game, it cannot sustain the reefer sound at 0 km/h for long.
- The reefer sounds should kick back in once you set off, however.
- The Trailer Noise slider controls the sound volume of the reefer startup noise and sound loop of a new cycle.
- The Truck Noise slider controls the sound volume of the reefer sound loop when driving.
- It is recommended to have both sliders at the same volume (50%) for consistency. (You can tune this to your liking, but for realism your own truck engine should overpower the reefer sound when accelerating)
- The sound event will stop shortly after decoupling. You can always reconnect the trailer to reactivate the cycle.
- If you want to take a break and keep the reefer idling, such as when you're at a truck stop:
Simply disconnect and reconnect the trailer to reactivate the cycle.
This will allow you to hear the reefer when you are idle or parked. It can be a relaxing white noise this way.

Regarding what the refrigerated trailer sound can be confirmed to work with:

Freight Market: Confirmed to work.
External Contracts: Confirmed to work.
Quick Jobs: Can work, but you need to disconnect and reconnect the trailer to start the cycle.
➖ Ownable Trailers: Requires workaround option. Sound effect of reefer startup is not applicable.

Owned trailer workaround

To use the workaround option properly:
1. Go into the Audio settings.
2. In the voice navigation menu, select "~ Function - Force enable reefer sound".
3. Click the Preview button.
4. Reselect your desired voice navigation option OR uncheck the voice navigation.

Note that the reefer beep & startup sound is not available with the workaround option. With Sound Fixes Pack v23.38 and newer, you'll also be able to hear the reefer sound when the truck is stationary, as long as no other road or tire noise sound mods are overriding the Sound Fixes Pack.
To stop the reefer sound with the workaround option, detaching the trailer will stop the sound in most cases. If not, restarting the game is the only way.

How do I add this sound to my trailer mod?

First make sure you have Sound Fixes Pack enabled. Then in the definition file for your trailer chassis where the mass and brace animations are determined, you need to add these two lines:

Code: Select all

trailer_brace_up_sound: "/sound_fixes_pack/trailer/reefer_up.soundref"
	trailer_brace_down_sound: "/sound_fixes_pack/trailer/reefer_down.soundref"
Here is an example of how it looks for an SCS trailer file:

Code: Select all

SiiNunit
{
accessory_chassis_data : .chassis
{
	detail_model: "/vehicle/trailer/scs_box/ch_45_r.pmd"
	model: "/vehicle/trailer/scs_box/ch_45_r_lod0.pmd"
	lods[]: "/vehicle/trailer/scs_box/ch_45_r_lod1.pmd"
	lods[]: "/vehicle/trailer/scs_box/ch_45_r_lod2.pmd"
	collision: "/vehicle/trailer/scs_box/ch_45_r.pmc"
	variant: reefer
	look: default

trailer_brace_model: "/vehicle/trailer_owned/scs_box/chassis/trailer_brace.pmd"
	trailer_brace_anim: "/vehicle/trailer_owned/scs_box/chassis/trailer_brace.pma"

trailer_brace_up_sound: "/sound_fixes_pack/trailer/reefer_up.soundref"
	trailer_brace_down_sound: "/sound_fixes_pack/trailer/reefer_down.soundref"

extended_shadow_texture: "/vehicle/trailer_owned/scs_box/shadow_ch_45_r.tobj"
	extended_shadow_intensity: 1.45
	extended_shadow_fadeout_start: 10
	extended_shadow_fadeout_length: 0

ui_shadow: "/vehicle/trailer_owned/scs_box/chassis/shadow_ch_45_r.pmd"

trailer_mass: 6722.2	# 14820 lbs

residual_travel[]: 0.12
	residual_travel[]: 0.12
}
}
These chassis files are usually found under the def/vehicle/trailer folder structure of a reefer trailer mod.

What sounds are included?

The sound includes the trailer brace sounds, then right afterwards you will hear the startup of the reefer engine. The reefer engine will then continue to play in a sound loop.
The reefer engine will sound the loudest when you are close to the trailer of course. You will be able to hear the hum of it inside the truck also.

Because modders can now specify whether a trailer can have a custom trailer brace sound, this means it's possible to have this sound for only reefer trailers, which is quite a treat when you do haul a reefer trailer in the game.

What even is a reefer trailer?

Reefer is short for "refrigerated". These trailers are designed to maintain a specific temperature for its cargo. It is commonly used for perishable cargo, such as fruit and vegetables.
It is powered by its own engine to keep the temperature consistent. That is where its sound comes from. :D

Video previews of the sound

No commentary - shows reefer sound usage with owned trailer workaround

No commentary

Language: French

Language: German

Language: English

Example mod download

Here are working trailer addons that enable the sound for SCS reefer trailers available in the Freight Market:

- (ETS2 - Steam Workshop) Reefer trailer sound addon for SCS trailers: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2655223039
- (ETS2 - ShareMods) Reefer trailer sound addon for SCS trailers: https://sharemods.com/nnis3dx95ihl/ets2 ... n.scs.html
- (ATS - Steam Workshop) Reefer trailer sound addon for SCS trailers: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2655269057
- (ATS - ShareMods) Reefer trailer sound addon for SCS trailers: https://sharemods.com/u5tyfigwfsl6/ats_ ... n.scs.html
Last edited by Drive Safely on 13 Nov 2023 09:03, edited 45 times in total.
djmistaxclusive

Re: HOW TO: Enable reefer sounds for your trailer mod with Sound Fixes Pack

#2 Post by djmistaxclusive » 19 Apr 2021 11:38

how can i add this to B4RT's trailer? i dont see the code for the sound on his
Drive Safely

#3 Post by Drive Safely » 19 Apr 2021 11:42

@djmistaxclusive - If the code for the trailer brace sound isn't present you can just add the two lines shown in the first post
djmistaxclusive

#4 Post by djmistaxclusive » 19 Apr 2021 16:55

thanks for the info..it worked
Drive Safely wrote: 19 Apr 2021 11:42 @djmistaxclusive - If the code for the trailer brace sound isn't present you can just add the two lines shown in the first post
kuaczi223

#5 Post by kuaczi223 » 20 Apr 2021 21:21

How to add to krone dlc? please help. I`m amateur.
Drive Safely

#6 Post by Drive Safely » 20 Apr 2021 21:39

@kuaczi223 - Welcome! :) I haven't purchased the Krone DLC (yet), but the files for the Krone reefer trailer should be somewhere in def/vehicle/trailer.
It will probably include "reefer" in the filename or it has it in the variant attribute for the chassis file.

To extract the DLC file you could use the SCS Extractor: https://modding.scssoft.com/wiki/Docume ... _Extractor
kuaczi223

#7 Post by kuaczi223 » 20 Apr 2021 22:00

there is no refeer file, but a cooliner file.
Drive Safely

#8 Post by Drive Safely » 21 Apr 2021 06:38

@kuaczi223 - I searched up "Krone cool liner trailer" and I think it's safe to assume it is a reefer trailer type. You can edit that file
kuaczi223

#9 Post by kuaczi223 » 21 Apr 2021 09:52

Drive Safely wrote: 21 Apr 2021 06:38 @kuaczi223 - I searched up "Krone cool liner trailer" and I think it's safe to assume it is a reefer trailer type. You can edit that file
do i need to edit dlc and pack in scs? After pasting the data from the trailer to the mod, the krone dlc does not work. I can send you files, if that's not a problem, maybe you can do something about it. I'm sorry for the trouble.
Drive Safely

#10 Post by Drive Safely » 21 Apr 2021 10:16

@kuaczi223 - Yes, but you only need to include the folders and files that have been changed. And the packed scs file goes to the mod folder where you enable it as a mod in the Mod Manager.

The original DLC in its Steam folder location you just keep unmodified.

Return to “Modding Guides”