HOW TO: Enable reefer sounds for your trailer mod with Sound Fixes Pack

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
kuaczi223

Re: HOW TO: Enable reefer sounds for your trailer mod with Sound Fixes Pack

#11 Post by kuaczi223 » 21 Apr 2021 10:26

Drive Safely wrote: 21 Apr 2021 10:16 @kuaczi223 - Yes, but you only need to include the folders and files that have been changed. And the packed scs file goes to the mod folder where you enable it as a mod in the Mod Manager.

The original DLC in its Steam folder location you just keep unmodified.
I don't know what could be wrong, but I pasted the files and even the original ones don't work, I have sound fixes.
Drive Safely

#12 Post by Drive Safely » 21 Apr 2021 10:34

@kuaczi223

You might have to verify integrity of the game files if you modified the Krone DLC in the Steam folder.

Right click on the [ external image ] for ETS2 in Steam, click on "Properties", click on the "Local Files" tab, then click on "Verify Integrity of Game Files"
LAFAYET47

#13 Post by LAFAYET47 » 21 Apr 2021 10:36

Lovely addition, thank you so much. I was really looking forward to it ;)
araponga1983

#15 Post by araponga1983 » 22 Apr 2021 03:52

Firstly you did a great job.

I don't know much about editing, but I would like to place an order. Include for mod SGC SCS Trailer Tuning Mega Pack please.
Thirstywork

#16 Post by Thirstywork » 22 Apr 2021 12:24

This is very good, well done. it's going to be a must have mod especially in ATS
kuaczi223

#17 Post by kuaczi223 » 22 Apr 2021 20:28

Drive Safely wrote: 17 Apr 2021 04:16 ⚠️ Guide has been updated to reflect the change in Sound Fixes Pack v21.29 and up.

Note: Reefer sounds aren't currently a supported feature in the game so this functionality will have some caveats, but this should be a step in the right direction. :)
If this idea proves popular, it may signal to SCS Software to support such a feature in the game one day. Also note I have only tested this for trailers in the Freight Market (refrigerated semi-trailers). ⚠️

----

Do you have a reefer trailer mod and want reefer sounds for it?

The Sound Fixes Pack (v21.29 and up) has a reefer sound bank added to it that modders can reference.
First I will explain the caveats.

What are the caveats?

1. The major caveat is that the sound doesn't follow the trailer, so once you start driving with the trailer, you will notice the sound fading away.
However, if you stay in the spot where you hooked up the trailer, you can listen to the reefer sound for as long as you want.

2. The shutdown of the reefer sound is abrupt. The sound event stops shortly after decoupling.

How do I add this sound to my trailer mod?

First make sure you have Sound Fixes Pack enabled. Then in the definition file for your trailer chassis where the mass and brace animations are determined, you need to add these two lines:

Code: Select all

trailer_brace_up_sound: "/sound_fixes_pack/trailer/reefer_up.soundref"
	trailer_brace_down_sound: "/sound_fixes_pack/trailer/reefer_down.soundref"
Here is an example of how it looks for an SCS trailer file:

Code: Select all

SiiNunit
{
accessory_chassis_data : .chassis
{
	detail_model: "/vehicle/trailer/scs_box/ch_45_r.pmd"
	model: "/vehicle/trailer/scs_box/ch_45_r_lod0.pmd"
	lods[]: "/vehicle/trailer/scs_box/ch_45_r_lod1.pmd"
	lods[]: "/vehicle/trailer/scs_box/ch_45_r_lod2.pmd"
	collision: "/vehicle/trailer/scs_box/ch_45_r.pmc"
	variant: reefer
	look: default

trailer_brace_model: "/vehicle/trailer_owned/scs_box/chassis/trailer_brace.pmd"
	trailer_brace_anim: "/vehicle/trailer_owned/scs_box/chassis/trailer_brace.pma"

trailer_brace_up_sound: "/sound_fixes_pack/trailer/reefer_up.soundref"
	trailer_brace_down_sound: "/sound_fixes_pack/trailer/reefer_down.soundref"

extended_shadow_texture: "/vehicle/trailer_owned/scs_box/shadow_ch_45_r.tobj"
	extended_shadow_intensity: 1.45
	extended_shadow_fadeout_start: 10
	extended_shadow_fadeout_length: 0

ui_shadow: "/vehicle/trailer_owned/scs_box/chassis/shadow_ch_45_r.pmd"

trailer_mass: 6722.2	# 14820 lbs

residual_travel[]: 0.12
	residual_travel[]: 0.12
}
}
What sounds are included?

The sound includes the trailer brace sounds, then right afterwards you will hear the startup of the reefer engine. The reefer engine will then continue to play in a sound loop.
The reefer engine will sound the loudest when you are close to the trailer of course. You will be able to hear the hum of it inside the truck but you can open the windows to hear it in greater clarity.
The volume of the sound is determined by the trailer noise slider in the Audio settings.

Because modders can now specify whether a trailer can have a custom trailer brace sound, this means it's possible to have this sound for only reefer trailers, which is quite a treat when you do haul a reefer trailer in the game.

What even is a reefer trailer?

Reefer is short for "refrigerated". These trailers are designed to maintain a specific temperature for its cargo. It is commonly used for perishable cargo, such as fruit and vegetables.
It is powered by its own engine to keep the temperature cool. That is where its sound comes from. :D

Other notes

If there's anything I can do to improve the realism or implementation of the sound or if you have a better method to add reefer sounds, feel free to let me know. :)
I am not too knowledgeable in reefer trailers

Video previews of the sound
the purchased trailers do not work. Only those taken from the company work.
Drive Safely

#18 Post by Drive Safely » 22 Apr 2021 21:24

@kuaczi223 - Thanks for letting me know, it must then be only intended for those taken from the company.

@Thirstywork - Thank you! :)
kuaczi223

#19 Post by kuaczi223 » 22 Apr 2021 21:26

Drive Safely wrote: 22 Apr 2021 21:24 @kuaczi223 - Thanks for letting me know, it must then be only intended for those taken from the company.

@Thirstywork - Thank you! :)
nice if it was still for your own trailers
Drive Safely

#20 Post by Drive Safely » 22 Apr 2021 21:33

@kuaczi223 - Yeah, the sound would trigger upon the trailer brace animations. I don't think the owned trailers use that when you load cargo on it

Return to “Modding Guides”