[REL] Satellite Map Images for ATS

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check chapters [4] and [5] of Forum Rules.
Keeper

[REL] Satellite Map Images for ATS

#1 Post by Keeper » 17 Nov 2017 22:11

This mod is a set of textures that cause the game to display a satellite terrain map with borders instead of the blank map with borders.

I spent a couple hours warping and tweaking a map image on top of the default, to get all the borders throughout the United States lining up as closely as possible. Less care was taken for areas outside the United States (and the map image used had no borders outside the U.S.), but they're nevertheless pretty good, so even using map mods should be enjoyable with this except in cases where the map mod makers have required a differently oriented map image. (Apparently this is the case with Mexico and Canada mods out there. Users have made custom mapdata files to get them to work with these images, which are aligned identically to the game's default map that already covers all of North America, so there's no real reason the map mod makers should require their own map orientations, but for some reason they do.)

To see the accuracy of the border alignments, look at this animation showing the default ATS map alternating with this mod's map: http://www.keeper1st.com/ats/atsmapanim.gif -- notice that this is not simply a case of slapping the game's border lines on a topographic map and hoping for the best, but having a map with borders already applied and lining them up precisely, e.g. see how the U.S.-Canada border on the northern edge of Minnesota is more detailed than the game's map. The bend in the border between California and Nevada is not aligned because SCS's map had it too far south to begin with, probably because of the issue mentioned below. These images put it topographically in the correct position.

There are a few issues because the in-game map is not entirely realistic. For example, when you zoom in you'll notice some roads in southern California appear to go into the Pacific Ocean, and the loop around Lake Tahoe by Carson City appears to be nowhere near Lake Tahoe. These situations are probably why SCS never included topographical maps themselves -- that and the fact that city placements often are far from realistic too, e.g. Santa Cruz.

In order to keep the drawing of routes, city points and state names easily visible in the Freight Market view, the zoomed-out image was made more transparent. This means that, in the World Map view, the terrain appears darker (actually more transparent) when zoomed out all the way, then brightens when you zoom in.

Download directly:
http://www.keeper1st.com/ats/atssatmap.7z

or

Subscribe via Steam Workshop:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... 1202959161
Last edited by Keeper on 29 Nov 2017 17:56, edited 1 time in total.

mike_mac

Re: [REL] Satellite Map Images for ATS

#2 Post by mike_mac » 18 Nov 2017 04:00

[ deleted ]
Last edited by mike_mac on 22 Jul 2019 21:29, edited 2 times in total.

Rated PG: Portable Gaming  ~  I have been playing ETS2 since version 1.0, and ATS since 1.5
MacBook Pro  |  2.0 GHz Intel i5  |  8 GB RAM  |  Intel Iris 540  |  macOS Catalina 10.15.2  |  Steam

Spectracon

#3 Post by Spectracon » 18 Nov 2017 04:20

Yes please! ^ Keeper take that offer :P
Kenworth W900

Frontiersman

#4 Post by Frontiersman » 18 Nov 2017 05:06

9000x9000 awesome

Keeper

#5 Post by Keeper » 20 Nov 2017 16:17

The image used was the start of an animation sequence. It covers all the U.S., most of Cuba, much of Canada and Mexico. The image actually was a higher resolution than the game map images, so I shrunk it down (it wasn't large enough to double the game's texture sizes though). It was mostly in the same "wrapped globe" shape as the original -- just not quite the same size globe or perhaps centered at a different point, so it needed to be stretched a bit here and there.

If your image has border lines drawn on it, and no text, that would be ideal. I could make a higher-resolution version. The border lines are necessary in order to match it up with the game's map perfectly.

Keeper

#6 Post by Keeper » 20 Nov 2017 16:44

So you can see the accuracy of this mod's map, here's an animation showing the original ATS map and this mod's map, shrunk down to 640x640 for the sake of the forum.

The full-size version is here: http://www.keeper1st.com/ats/atsmapanim.gif

Note of course that these animations had their color palettes reduced to 256 colors; the actual map is full color.

mike_mac

#7 Post by mike_mac » 22 Nov 2017 04:43

[ deleted ]
Last edited by mike_mac on 22 Jul 2019 21:29, edited 2 times in total.

Rated PG: Portable Gaming  ~  I have been playing ETS2 since version 1.0, and ATS since 1.5
MacBook Pro  |  2.0 GHz Intel i5  |  8 GB RAM  |  Intel Iris 540  |  macOS Catalina 10.15.2  |  Steam

Mahad

#8 Post by Mahad » 22 Nov 2017 19:51

I did it. Scaled picture to 4096x4096 with good quality (tried 8192x8192 but gives me some errors).

You can try if you want :
=> http://sharemods.com/w561ys86nzhq/Backg ... v2.7z.html

Keeper

#9 Post by Keeper » 22 Nov 2017 22:01

You're obviously way off there, Mahad, as you have the angle in the border between Nevada and California far below where it should be (in the middle of Lake Tahoe). This is the problem with using an image that doesn't have borders on it; it's virtually impossible to get the borders in the right places. An image with borders allows one to align the borders with the in-game borders, as shown in my animation above. Otherwise it's pure guesswork and not going to be accurate.

Mahad

#10 Post by Mahad » 22 Nov 2017 22:49

If you don't like it don't use it. For me it works fine and for some people it's the same, also i made it using border and sea from ATS's base map so it's aligned and it fits.

If you are here to criticize each time thank you to abstain.

And when i see your map you have the same errors like me and you quality is not so good. Seriously if you think your are the best modder in Backround Map mod release a full top quality map.

EDIT :

Ok it's not 100% accurate but 98% of the map is in correct position

Return to “Others”