[REL] Daniels ATS Random Events

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
KrysEmlyn

Re: [REL] Daniels Random Events

#151 Post by KrysEmlyn » 18 Sep 2021 20:47

Due to how the Random Events are deployed by the game, I don't know if that issue is fixable.
The scene start event is placed at the top of the hill there and all of the scene elements, such as the cones, are set on a flat "plane" in relation to that point.
It's the same reason you sometimes see elements of the Random Events sunk into the ground occasionally because the roadway is not flat.
danbywinby

#152 Post by danbywinby » 19 Sep 2021 12:02

@Kinas

Unfortunately @KrysEmlyn is correct currently that issue is not fixable by me and has to be fixed by SCS somehow.

The issue is exactly as KrysEmlyn said the start and end cutscenes take the ground level at the starting point (usually the centre) of the cutscene and use that as the ground level for the entirety of the cutscene. This causes the cones furthest away from the centre of the cutscene to sometimes fly or sink into the ground this is especially noticeable on sections of roads that slope. I have tied many times to improve this situation and do something to prevent it but the only thing I can do is stop the events from generating on curves which won't fix it because sometimes this issue occurs on straight pieces of road that are hills.

What is very strange is that this issue does not happen to the layer cutscenes which contains the crashed vehicles, emergency services etc. The vehicles and cones in the layer cutscenes all seem to dynamically alter themselves to fit to the slope of the road. So I believe that SCS can fix this but for what ever reason have not.
danbywinby

#154 Post by danbywinby » 02 Oct 2021 11:46

Fingers crossed it works fine without any changes required in MP. At the moment I'm not aware of any changes required.
Lolsmurf

#155 Post by Lolsmurf » 03 Oct 2021 11:09

Hi @danbywinby, is it possible to extend the distance of the signage before the event? It feels very close to the event now, causing AI to hit the brakes and as a player you see the sign too late as its too close to the random event.
Increasing it would at least give the player more time to react to a slowdown.
danbywinby

#156 Post by danbywinby » 03 Oct 2021 12:39

Hi @Lolsmurf

It is certainly possible for me to extend the distance of the signage before the event however the problem with doing this is that it would increase the amount of space required for the event and because events can't generate across junctions/roundabouts etc this would limit the amount of places in the game world where the events can generate.

Are you thinking this for all events in general or just specific events if so can you provide any screenshots of the events so I know exactly what you are referring to?
Lolsmurf

#157 Post by Lolsmurf » 05 Oct 2021 09:52

danbywinby wrote: 03 Oct 2021 12:39 Hi @Lolsmurf

It is certainly possible for me to extend the distance of the signage before the event however the problem with doing this is that it would increase the amount of space required for the event and because events can't generate across junctions/roundabouts etc this would limit the amount of places in the game world where the events can generate.

Are you thinking this for all events in general or just specific events if so can you provide any screenshots of the events so I know exactly what you are referring to?
Hi Daniel, thanks for coming back to me.
I would mainly do this for events that close down a lane (accident, police chase, construction), as these impact the driving experience a lot with the bad AI just going full into the brakes without the player actually getting a warning.

I will try to make a screenshot when I play again somewhere this weekend if I have time.
danbywinby

#158 Post by danbywinby » 05 Oct 2021 18:01

@Lolsmurf

You are very welcome.

I would like to hear other people's thoughts on this before I make a decision.

As I said the biggest problem I see is that it would increase the total length of the event and decrease the amount of places in the world where it can spawn.

Also increasing the distance of the signs before the event would not fix the issues with the AI. Unfortunately the best way for this to be fixed requires SCS to do something. I have had many thoughts about what I could do but they are all extremely long and complex and would not fix the underlying issue.
ATLANTIK7773

#159 Post by ATLANTIK7773 » 07 Oct 2021 05:15

Dear Danbywinby! I play with your mod in ETS-2 and ATC and I don't have any problems. All episodes of random events are in harmony with the game. I think that there is no point in changing anything! What for? If so everything is cool! The only thing I ask you to think about is the release of a new or addition to random events Pedestrians little people revive cities and make pedestrian crossings with a coliseum so as not to knock pedestrians on the road and the drivers obey the traffic rules.
danbywinby

#160 Post by danbywinby » 10 Oct 2021 12:05

Hi All

So today i found myself with a bit of free time and suddenly an idea came to me about what i can do to improve the roadworks situation in ATS.

Currently ATS uses both barrels and the same vertical barriers that are present in ETS2. These are not very realistic of what you would actually see at roadworks in america to my knowledge so after doing some research online and looking at various images and links that some of you have posted for me in previous pages of this thread i suddenly thought that i could just take my new improved versions of the default traffic cones and simply increase the size of them slightly.

Below is a comparison shot of the 3 different cone/barrier types.

[ external image ]

I plan to replace these vertical barriers with these new bigger traffic cones and then improve the roadworks events in the same way that i have done in ETS2. By replacing the vertical barriers with these new cones you will see these new cones in the default SCS events and in various areas around the map where these vertical barriers have been used.

I just have one question for those of you actually from America. How common is it for these types of cones to have lights on? Because there are versions of these vertical barriers with lights on so should i create a version of these bigger traffic ones with lights on or simply have all with no lights because they have retroreflective strips? Also is the size of the new bigger traffic cone ok or does it need to be taller?

Return to “Others”