[REL] Daniels ATS Random Events

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
danbywinby

Re: [REL] Daniels Random Events

#101 Post by danbywinby » 17 Jul 2021 07:52

@seriousmods Unfortunately I don't believe that is currently possible.

There is a setting which I do believe I have activated on most of my events which is 'slow_down_passing' which will slow down passing vehicles however it does not work very well because I believe it only affects the immediate next lane and the vehicles will basically slam their brakes on when they reach the event rather than slow down gradually as they approach the event.

I'm not aware of a way to change speed limits without a sign but I do know there is a 'traffic area' tool in the map editor. If I am able to insert a traffic area and export it as part of my scenes from the map editor then it might be possible but would have to try it out and see.

Another alternative could be to use signs but place them under the road surface so they are 'invisible' but the problem with using signs is that different countries have different speed limits and so different signs. Another questions is would the ai vehicles actually respond to the signs being under the road surface and then how much of an issue would this cause for the player with a sudden speed limit change.

Gonna have to do some thinking and experimenting on this one I think. If anybody has any ideas do feel free to let me know.
Optional Features

#102 Post by Optional Features » 17 Jul 2021 09:12

Ok, thanks for even looking into it. If possible, it would be cool, but all depending on how the AI acts lol. If they slam on their brakes and cause a pileup, then well.
KrysEmlyn

#103 Post by KrysEmlyn » 17 Jul 2021 15:57

AI will respond to the speed limit signs under the pavement provided the sign item node is close to the road surface.
This is how ProMods has done some of their speed limit tricks in the past on their map.
danbywinby

#104 Post by danbywinby » 17 Jul 2021 16:42

@seriousmods Not a problem, thank you for suggesting/mentioning it. I agree that having them slam on their brakes is definitely not great. Ideally it would be best for them to gradually slow down.

@KrysEmlyn thank you for confirming that. This is certainly something I will do some experimenting on. I dont really want to use speed limit signs because different countries and different roads have different speed limits and so would require different signs but there might be something I can do here maybe something like reduce the speed limit by a third. Literally just a thought off the top of my head.
Laqueesha

#105 Post by Laqueesha » 18 Jul 2021 04:30

I've been getting weird car crash scenes with three F-150s in a row and missing firetrucks. Don't know if related to this or not.
danbywinby

#106 Post by danbywinby » 18 Jul 2021 09:09

@Laqueesha

With regards to the three F-150s in a row unfortunately because there is very few different models of crashed vehicles in ATS this is something that can happen. I could see if I can bring across the crashed vehicles from ETS2 to add more variety but im not sure what ones would look OK in the world of ATS.

With regards to the missing firetrucks this is not something I'm aware of. Can you provide some more info on this? Screenshots?
danbywinby

#107 Post by danbywinby » 18 Jul 2021 12:53

Here are the different crashed vehicles i have in ETS2:
Model names: audi_a6_crashed, crash_cars1_always, crash2_cars1_always, transit_crashed, volvo_xc70_crashed
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

And here are the different crashed vehicles i have in ATS:
Model names: f150_crashed, crash_cars1_always_physics, crash2_cars1_always_physics
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

As you can see ATS has less than ETS2. I have gone through the def files and double checked that there nothing that could cause the F-150s to be more common than the other in there and the only thing i can think of that could maybe cause the issue is that i have the vehicles facing the correct repeated 3 times and the vehicles facing the wrong way once. This technically increases the number of F-150s in the pool. However this does also increase the other vehicles as well but because the vehicles are picked at random and the F-150s are a lot more distinctive than the others this could be giving the illusion that they are spawning more.

The best solution would be to increase the variety of vehicles available so i could bring across the ETS2 vehicles but i'm not sure if they would be realistic or would look out of place in the ATS world.

I have also had a look and have found that the sign editor gives me the option of adding a 'Traffic Rule' to my VMS signs so i could add a speed limit to these and make the traffic slow down a little on approach to an event.
[ external image ]
I have also tested that the 'Traffic Areas' can be exported as part of my scenes so this would also allow me to apply a 'Traffic Rule' to my events.
This is looking very promising and exciting.
Last edited by danbywinby on 18 Jul 2021 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Hvwkins

#108 Post by Hvwkins » 18 Jul 2021 15:08

In regards to the porting of ETS2 crashed vehicles, I can't make out the models of the first three but the Mercedes Sprinter van and the (I think?) Volvo SUV are certainly things that I have seen here. I was actually surprised at the number of Volvo SUVs I've seen while driving.
Last edited by Hvwkins on 18 Jul 2021 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
danbywinby

#109 Post by danbywinby » 18 Jul 2021 19:44

@Hvwkins The first one according to the model name is an audi a6 the other 2 have no brand mentioned in the model names. I have added closer pics though so that might help with working out what they are. Also the last one is indeed a volvo (xc70 according to the model name).
zach354

#110 Post by zach354 » 18 Jul 2021 22:58

I think all of them but the Volkwagen looking station wagon would work well in ATS. The Ford Transit Van is already in the game, and the sedan looks closely to some kind of a Toyota or VW. Also, most signs I believe purely use text such as "ACCIDENT AHEAD" or "SLOW DOWN - ACCIDENT" or all in orange. I'll see if I can find some reference. I really love to seeing what you do with this mod.
Last edited by zach354 on 18 Jul 2021 23:19, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Others”