[REL] Daniels ATS Random Events

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
jarryed

Re: [REL] Daniels Random Events

#41 Post by jarryed » 04 Mar 2021 16:37

I have been running this but I have a huge gripe to mention.

--- The broken down car in the left lane ---

There is absolutely no warning that this is coming up and I think should be removed. If a car is to break down in the left lane it is either moved to the either the left or right road shoulder to where it would not be a hindrance. Can't count the number of times I have ran across this only to have the AI stop on a dime in front of you. There is absolutely no way to not slam into traffic as there always seems to be traffic in the right lane when this happens.
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."
danbywinby

#42 Post by danbywinby » 04 Mar 2021 17:05

@jarryed

Would you be able to get a screenshot of this event at all so i know exactly what one you are referring to?

Because there are many variations of this in my mod. With regards to no warning, the ones with no warning should be very rare. Most of the time there should be a warning triangle out in front (very small and so very easy to miss i do understand) or if there is a recovery truck with the vehicle then you should be able to see the trucks beacons from a reasonable distance.
jarryed

#43 Post by jarryed » 04 Mar 2021 17:10

This was from a streamer I was watching the other day:

https://youtu.be/APLIpUH37c8?t=1598

The warning triangle is not even visible because it is turned the wrong way.
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."
danbywinby

#44 Post by danbywinby » 04 Mar 2021 17:27

Thank you for that link. In all honesty it looks to me like that guy was not paying attention or going too fast. You could see that traffic up ahead was slow moving or stationery from quite a way back as the road was completely straight and it was bright daylight.

The issue with the warning triangle i could have swore that was fixed but I will double check that.

Personally I would like to keep those events in as it adds more variety. However if other people agree with you that they are unrealistic and they would like them removed as well. Then I will consider removing them.
jarryed

#45 Post by jarryed » 04 Mar 2021 17:31

The guy is a former professional driver. Going too fast on I-80 in Nevada with a speed limit of 80mph? Nah I don't think so.

Could you PM me details on how to remove the left lane events from your mod? I find it highly unrealistic.
danbywinby

#46 Post by danbywinby » 04 Mar 2021 18:05

@jarryed

If you want to remove those events from my mod yourself then you will first of all need to open my mod and find the file:

Code: Select all

def\world\journey_road_event.dwbreakdown.sii
You should be able to open with the default notepad or any other basic text editor.

In there you will find all of my 'breakdown' events.

Here is an example of one:

journey_events_road_event : j_re.dwbreakc1
	{
		layer_cutscenes[]:	j_cut.dwbdowni
		max_length: 5      // [m]
		min_length: 5      // [m]
		inner_lane_allowed: true
		slow_down_passing: true
		bridge_forbidden: true
		tunnel_forbidden: true		
		traffic_block: true
		layer_min_curve[]: 0.0		
		layer_max_curve[]: 15.0		
		weight: 10.0
		allowed_lanes_count[]: 2
		allowed_lanes_count[]: 3
		parents[]: j_re.super_parent
		name: "Daniel Breakdown Car Inside Lane"
	}
To prevent it from spawning simply change the 'weight' by changing the following line:

weight: 10.0
to:

weight: 0
jarryed

#47 Post by jarryed » 04 Mar 2021 18:14

Thank you for this information. It is very much appreciated.
danbywinby

#48 Post by danbywinby » 04 Mar 2021 18:21

@jarryed Your welcome. No problem.
danbywinby

#49 Post by danbywinby » 06 Mar 2021 12:17

So i have been thinking about this issue with the inside lane breakdown events and looking at exactly what i have at the moment and how i could improve them.

This is what i am thinking at the moment please let me know your thoughts and if you have any ideas yourself:
- Removing all breakdown events that have no warning triangle or any form of warning at all.
- I have created a new version of the portable VMS sign that i use in some of my other events that says 'STRANDED VEHICLE SLOW DOWN'. I will add this as a new possibility for the breakdown events that spawn on roads with hard shoulders.
- I am also thinking about possibly creating the possibility for a police car / arrow board suv to spawn behind the broken down vehicle. Not sure on this though so please let me know your thoughts.

[ external image ]
jarryed

#50 Post by jarryed » 06 Mar 2021 15:46

I think the portable VMS sign, flashing arrow, or even a police presence would be beneficial instead of removing the events completely. If something like this does happen the police are on the scene as quickly as possible as it's the fast lane.

I love running your mod as the variety is welcome in the game; especially the trailer fires. Was always wondering why SCS won't bring that into ATS when it is in ETS2.

I sure hope that you didn't take my comments earlier as being harsh on you either.

Return to “Others”