Cold Rain v0.37 [Updated 09 Aug, 2023]

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Shyfty221

Re: Cold Rain v0.1 for 1.40 [25 March 2021]

#11 Post by Shyfty221 » 25 Mar 2021 13:48

Thanks a lot mate, will test this later today. Looking forward to those stormy moments ;)
Darkcaptain

#12 Post by Darkcaptain » 25 Mar 2021 14:08

@Watermark I totally agree, but nothing can ever be done against them...

@Shyfty221 I hope you like it, but this mod does not control the fog moments (they are controlled by the Weather of SCS) in this way it could also be compatible with other Weathers Mods. The less wide windshields as commented in the first post feel better visually (more raindrops, less visibility) are things of the game engine. And thank you very much for the donation, I really appreciate it ;)
joschac2

#13 Post by joschac2 » 25 Mar 2021 17:57

is this just hard rain
Or is there light and hard rain?
Darkcaptain

#14 Post by Darkcaptain » 25 Mar 2021 18:07

@joschac2 The Weather handles the intensity, so there are several intensities. but it will almost always be difficult to see through the windows.
Loyal4ets2

#15 Post by Loyal4ets2 » 26 Mar 2021 15:46

Looks amazing and better than Realistic Rain. Especially the thunder sounds. Altough i will love even more if you could add more refraction on this mod like on Realistic Rain (wich i think they are the same like default wether) because adds realism :

[ external image ]

Also en example between Realistic Rain and Cold Rain related to refration :

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

But an interesting effect are on windows when you get them down, and after you raise it. It leaves a trace line where window has stopped, like in real life.

[ external image ]

P.S : Also if you could work on light system when it's raining. The sky tend to be too much overexposed and also if you could make the skyboxes more to grey/desaturated than bluish white.

Example for Cold Rain :
[ external image ]

Keep up the good work !
likebubba

#16 Post by likebubba » 26 Mar 2021 16:24

oh well, I could barely see anything on those mirrors! kinda reminds me of how n why I should have hazards on through out lol
Loyal4ets2

#17 Post by Loyal4ets2 » 26 Mar 2021 16:36

Gosh i love to feedback everything :D sometimes i feel like i comment and involve more than playing :lol:

Another positive thing related to refraction raindrops are windscreen wipers.

On Realistic Rain, wipers appears to be whole visible compared to this mod Cold Rain where wipers appears as if they are dissolved because of that lack of refraction.

Realistic Rain :

[ external image ]

Cold Rain :

[ external image ]

And again a good example for good lighting on Realistic Rain. I keep making refers to that mod because has also good features that deserves to be in plus also in this mod wich i love it wish to be even better.
Darkcaptain

#18 Post by Darkcaptain » 26 Mar 2021 19:30

@Loyal4ets2 I see if I can answer everything, but first of all thanks for your opinion, feedback and screenshots, is nice to try to improve a mod :)

Excuse my english :P

The quality of the thunders, and the variety, are exactly the same in both mods (Cold Rain and Realistic Rain), they are varied thunder, of a high quality in its sound, I spent a lot of time searching, editing, doing different tests, etc. And until the arrival of FMOD I always felt limited. I'm glad You like.

Regarding the sound of the rain, there are slight differences between both mods, the sound of the rain falling in the cabin is similar, but that of the "outside rain" if there are more differences.

But let's go to the important thing, textures of the raindrops on the windows and their behavior:
Looks amazing and better than Realistic Rain. Especially the thunder sounds. Altough i will love even more if you could add more refraction on this mod like on Realistic Rain (wich i think they are the same like default wether) because adds realism :
I will see what I can do, in this aspect both are configured in the same way, in Realistic Rain the "visibility" (the [aux0] parameter) is increased so that the raindrop is easier to appreciate (since they are smaller), but It must also be taken into account that in Realistic Rain the raindrop is more defined, and is rounder, in Cold Rain it is more blurred, less "imprecise" .but I will continue doing more tests :)
But an interesting effect are on windows when you get them down, and after you raise it. It leaves a trace line where window has stopped, like in real life.
The effect of the window should be visible in both mods, but it is possible that in Cold Rain it is more noticeable (by having increased the number of drops in the windows) Cold Rain has a value of 50,000, while Realistic Rain has 9,000, Unfortunately this parameter does not affect the windshield and is limited by the game engine :(
.S : Also if you could work on light system when it's raining. The sky tend to be too much overexposed and also if you could make the skyboxes more to grey/desaturated than bluish white.
This is more dangerous and I do not want to modify anything to do with the Weather files or Skyboxes textures, this way this mod can be compatible with other Weathers Mods and they will not enter into any conflict.

To clarify, this mod is not a "Weather Mod" in reality, it does not modify Weather files (rain intensity, lighting, colors, fog, gamma, sky textures etc.) it only modifies what is related to the rain: Various sounds of rain, thunder sounds, textures of the raindrops (exterior), textures of the raindrops on the glass and their behavior, and the particles/spray of the "splash", when the asphalt is wet. And hopefully, SCS in the future can implement puddles on the roads that works with physics :lol:

but I am glad that you have taken so much interest in appreciating many details, not all people take it into account. It is to be thankful. I will keep it in mind for future versions ;)
SirVirgoTheMess

#19 Post by SirVirgoTheMess » 26 Mar 2021 20:22

Thanks for the mod.I'm going to try it right now :D
Loyal4ets2

#20 Post by Loyal4ets2 » 26 Mar 2021 23:04

Thank you so much for all the informations. I read it all carefully. Also your english is great. Maybe mine is bad because also it's not my native language :D I appreciate that you are willing to make more tests to achieve perfection.
I will see what I can do, in this aspect both are configured in the same way, in Realistic Rain the "visibility" (the [aux0] parameter) is increased so that the raindrop is easier to appreciate (since they are smaller), but It must also be taken into account that in Realistic Rain the raindrop is more defined, and is rounder, in Cold Rain it is more blurred, less "imprecise" .but I will continue doing more tests
So i understand that can be tricky to get a balance between parameters, but i know it will worth it.
The effect of the window should be visible in both mods, but it is possible that in Cold Rain it is more noticeable (by having increased the number of drops in the windows) Cold Rain has a value of 50,000, while Realistic Rain has 9,000, Unfortunately this parameter does not affect the windshield and is limited by the game engine
That is a big number out there :D Again we are restrained by game engine. Maybe one day, a new engine will come.

As for the weather, i didn't know that it's separately from rain. For the puddles rain I also wish to be implemented in the future.

From what I read it can be seen that you put a lot of work and passion in research and testing.

Respect !

Return to “Others”