Jake Brake not working in neutral [NOT A BUG]

natvander
SCS Software

Re: Jake Brake not working in neutral

#11 Post by natvander » 17 Feb 2016 22:16

On the net there doesn't appear to be a straight answer if the jake brake will engage on an engine in neutral. At the very end of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FSkNSOeTWM the narrator states at the very end that the brake activates when the truck is in a no fuel mode (no accelerator) and the driveline is engaged. I've also read that some drivers use the jake brake to quickly bring engine rpm down for quicker gear shifts, (tho that seems to be discouraged by many). Whether that implies that the brake works in neutral or not I don't know. It certainly wouldn't provide any actual braking tho.

I do know it certainly doesn't happen with exhaust brakes, and modern engines with jake brakes have a sensor that disengages the brake when engine is at low rpm to prevent engine stalling. They also have a 2-3 stage switch (depending on the engine make) to alter braking power (hint SCS - like retarder increase/decrease).
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
plykkegaard

#12 Post by plykkegaard » 17 Feb 2016 22:37

natvander wrote:read that some drivers use the jake brake to quickly bring engine rpm down for quicker gear shifts
Here you go
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_clutch_(technique)
Sometimes, truck drivers use the engine brake to help match the engine speed to the gear. The most common situation is with a loaded vehicle which has no split gears or half gears in the lower range, from gears 1-4. In this case, it is especially difficult and sometimes impossible to get from 1 to 2, and sometimes even from 2-3 while starting on a hill. The problem is that by the time the engine speed has dropped sufficiently to enable a shift into the higher gear, the vehicle will have slowed down too much or possibly even stopped, making the shift impossible. The engine brakes, which on some models can be set to different intensities (retarding variable numbers of engine cylinders) enable a shift by dropping the engine speed quickly enough to catch the higher gear before the vehicle has decelerated too much. This technique, sometimes called "jake shifting", requires high skill and much practice shifting without the clutch, and is usually not recommended among truck drivers because mistakes can cause damage to the transmission.
Search for "jake shifting"

EDIT: I want this :D

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Ununiumplum

#13 Post by Ununiumplum » 17 Feb 2016 23:15

He doesnt use it on neutral though :P I think it shouldnt work on neutral.
Lexx

#14 Post by Lexx » 18 Feb 2016 10:37

Max wrote:i thought if you can confirm, that american trucks can engage jake brake in neutral .. :)
european definitely dont.
I thought you were asking if someone can test it in the game. :)
My mods for other games
Sharkoon S25-W, AsRock B85M Pro4, Core i3-4170, Palit GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Corsair 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz,
Corsair CX750, Corsair Force LE 120 GB, Western Digital 1.5 TB, Arch Linux KDE x64, Firefox x64
MPROx98

#15 Post by MPROx98 » 18 Feb 2016 20:14

I can confirm ( IRL prove) that jake brake in neutral is normal...

I saw a Peterbilt 379 Caterpillar powered 2 weeks ago and I asked to the driver to make some jaking and it was on neutral ^^
JPS

#16 Post by JPS » 18 Feb 2016 20:46

Or maybe he just thought you had a screw loose and decided to make your day by faking it ;)
Rig Runner

#17 Post by Rig Runner » 19 Feb 2016 14:58

Here it is from an American trucker in real life, The Jake brake WILL NOT WORK in neutral. It is an engine brake and unless there is a direct connection from the engine to the wheels, it will not work. If the clutch is activated or the truck is in neutral, then there is no longer a connection. :)
MPROx98

#18 Post by MPROx98 » 19 Feb 2016 15:36

I believe you Rig Runner, but why there are so much videos of neutral jake brake ? :)

there for instance : @JPS : I'm not a liar.
prosiak

Re: Jake braking in neutral gear...

#19 Post by prosiak » 19 Feb 2016 15:59

Jake brake should not work in neutral gear.
Jake brake is blocking engine exhaust so when you are on neutral it had no effect on your speed as engine is not connected to your wheels.
However it is possible to affect your engine RPM when jake braking in neutral.
Jake brakes are also not effective at low RPM's, thats why there is blue color at your RPM meter. Blue band indicates most effective RPM range for jake brake.

And if we talking about EU trucks i recall that Renault Magnum and Premium had option to have jake brake, you could chose if you want a shaft retarder or simple jake brake. I even heard about combination of jake brake + shaft retarder in some Renault trucks.
Also Scanie series 4 had option for jake brake.
And so many EU buses has jake brake (shaft retarders are quite common in EU coaches but not in city buses).
JPS

#20 Post by JPS » 19 Feb 2016 17:31

What I see there is a truck on a testing bench, hence who sais it's in neutral. And who said you're a liar? :roll:

Return to “Bugs 1.0”