Jake Brake not working in neutral [NOT A BUG]

Llewelyn

Re: Jake Brake not working in neutral

#21 Post by Llewelyn » 21 Feb 2016 10:29

I'd say that a Jake brake (a form of exhaust brake, but also a generic term for exhaust brakes) should slow the engine revs in neutral but it will never of course slow the vehicle in neutral. It's possible that on modern vehicles where it's activated electrically, it might be interlocked so as not to operate in neutral.
PW4056

#22 Post by PW4056 » 24 Feb 2016 21:45

It won't work on a T680. When you have the engine brakes turned on, it's activated by tapping the brakes, and it'll work only down to about 1100 RPM. Once it gets below that, it'll automatically cut out. The engine brake will only work down to seventh gear on a 10-speed. I have not seen it work in sixth or below. The engine brake is cancelled once you hit the accelerator, hence not possible to have the engine brake working in neutral since you'd be less than 1100 RPM unless you hit the accelerator.
Captain Kevin
[ external image ]
Loutis

#23 Post by Loutis » 25 Feb 2016 11:25

"Dramatic music slowly sets in"

An example why it actually should NOT work:

From Paccar PX-8 engine manual for Peterbilt Trucks (page 35):

"Music intensifies"

CAUTION: Using the engine brakes to aid in
clutchless gear shifting will cause the engine to
stall or lead to engine damage. Engine brakes
used in clutchless shifting causes additional
strain on the engine valve train and causes
severe internal engine damage. Do not use
engine brakes to assist in gear shifting.

Also: The ECM (engine "Electronic Control Module") will disable the engine brakes when engine speed
is below 850 rpm or when an electronic fault code is active.

link : http://www.peterbilt.com/resources/PACC ... Manual.pdf

"Dramatic background approaches it's climax"

So, unless you are intentionally damaging engine or just really lazy, don't use engine (Jake) brake to assist you with gear shifting.
And because it is not recommended by manufacturer, I don't see any reason to make it possible in game (Please include similar manual references from other manufacturers for more info if you have any).

"Deafening silence sets on reader's mind, leaning back in his chair, reader realizes shattering impact of this revelation"
"I'm not trying to be anyone's savior. I'm just trying to think about the future and not be sad."
Elon Musk

Tesla & SpaceX fanboy. Carefully optimistic about Mars colonisation.
Lexx

#24 Post by Lexx » 25 Feb 2016 14:10

Despite what Loutis says, I just discovered the engine brake does work in neutral, only you don't hear the sound of it. Just a moment ago I was driving on Mantrid's Coast to Coast map and entering a city I was going 75 mph when I saw a traffic light ahead, not far from me. However, in an attempt to preserve what was left in my fuel tank I was driving in neutral and there was no time to shift up back to 16th gear, so I just used the regular brakes AND the engine brakes. The truck stopped very quickly from 75 to 0 and I even managed to stop before the crossing line at which point I would be fined. So the engine brake does work in neutral but there isn't that specific sound which plays when you use engine brakes. If the engine brake didn't work, I would have managed to stop at the next traffic light.
My mods for other games
Sharkoon S25-W, AsRock B85M Pro4, Core i3-4170, Palit GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Corsair 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz,
Corsair CX750, Corsair Force LE 120 GB, Western Digital 1.5 TB, Arch Linux KDE x64, Firefox x64
Loutis

#25 Post by Loutis » 25 Feb 2016 15:28

I understand what you are saying but consider this: Neutral engine RPM is 550, engine brake work at it's lowest point at 700 RPM, below that point it is disabled (it might be on dashboard as turned on but it is not engaged - which is BTW described as extremely dangerous to leave it on while engine is idle by manufacturer) even if it would (which it isn't), the effect would be entirely negligible due to low RPM, whats more important engine itself maintains Neutral RPM by self-managing acceleration pedal (since it have to keep up those 550 RPM) and engine brake don't work when acceleration pedal is engaged.

And last but not least, what is your basis on what magnitude of effect had engine brake ? I can't possibly calculate that on the spot (you might though I don't know :D ). Do you have automatic retarder option ON or high setting on brake intensity ? That might be reason for that extra braking power you felt in this particular situation.
And since I ended up totally failing to reproduce situation you are describing, I am of course open for demonstration of that by video. That would help a lot.

"Captain flies away, swoosh.. immediately hitting trees, staying in the broken branches and relaxing casually"
"I'm not trying to be anyone's savior. I'm just trying to think about the future and not be sad."
Elon Musk

Lexx

#26 Post by Lexx » 25 Feb 2016 15:57

I don't use retarder (I hate it). As for the braking intensity, I've set it to a quite low level - as closest as possible to the level it used to be in ETS 2 version 1.1.1. Since that version I got used to driving with not enough responding brakes making you to tap the key many times in order to make them work. For this reason even with a slider option I still set brakes to behave the same way as they did in the early versions of ETS 2.
My mods for other games
Sharkoon S25-W, AsRock B85M Pro4, Core i3-4170, Palit GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Corsair 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz,
Corsair CX750, Corsair Force LE 120 GB, Western Digital 1.5 TB, Arch Linux KDE x64, Firefox x64
PW4056

#27 Post by PW4056 » 26 Feb 2016 01:43

Lexx wrote:Despite what Loutis says, I just discovered the engine brake does work in neutral, only you don't hear the sound of it. Just a moment ago I was driving on Mantrid's Coast to Coast map and entering a city I was going 75 mph when I saw a traffic light ahead, not far from me. However, in an attempt to preserve what was left in my fuel tank I was driving in neutral and there was no time to shift up back to 16th gear, so I just used the regular brakes AND the engine brakes. The truck stopped very quickly from 75 to 0 and I even managed to stop before the crossing line at which point I would be fined. So the engine brake does work in neutral but there isn't that specific sound which plays when you use engine brakes. If the engine brake didn't work, I would have managed to stop at the next traffic light.
Are you talking about in the simulator or on the actual truck, because I'm talking about the actual T680.
Captain Kevin
[ external image ]
Lexx

#28 Post by Lexx » 28 Feb 2016 18:17

Then you should say at the beginning of your post you're talking about RL truck. Posting in the bugs section without additional explanation suggests you're talking about the game. We're not psychics here.
My mods for other games
Loutis

#29 Post by Loutis » 29 Feb 2016 07:16

To summarize the whole issue:

In an actual T680 engine break while on neutral is not working. In game there is no solid reproduce-able situation (as far as I know) that would show us that engine break engaged at the same time as having Neutral affects braking power nor RPM of the truck.

So, I am leaning to opinion where one could say it should not work in game since in RL it is not recommended by engine manufacturers (damaging engine) and some trucks are proven to restrict you from using it (RPM limitation), hence issue with "Jake Brake not working in neutral" is not really an issue and it should be like that.

If anyone actually proves me to be wrong, please do so in manner of video and coordinates so we can reproduce the situation, or RL experience that would have more info about the issue.

"They still don't know I am actually a squirrel dressed as a shark hiding in shifting sand, and once they realize that, I'll bite the #&@\ out of their trucks, taking all the nuts, a nutjob"
Elon Musk

Jarrad

Re: Jake Brake not working in neutral [NOT A BUG]

#30 Post by Jarrad » 29 Feb 2016 10:37

The Jake/Exhaust brake will work at any non-idle RPM unless the clutch is pressed. The clutch is the defining factor, not the gear position. That's from my own RL experience

Return to “Bugs 1.0”