Serious AI bug near Truckee

Thomas5020

Serious AI bug near Truckee

#1 Post by Thomas5020 » 11 Mar 2016 20:28

Hey all. So I was near Truckee and there is a serious AI problem at the location shown in the minimap. (Have a look at the attached screenshots, except the 1st) I was following a car, doing exactly 55mph in a 55mph zone at the distance replicated in the 1st screenshot. The AI car then decided to go from around 55mph to 0 in a couple of car lengths which obviously I couldn't stop in so i slammed into the back of it. A van in the other lane then drove a bit in front of it, slammed its brakes on, did a 45 degree angle turn (probably at about 15mph) then sped off. A couple of other vehicles did this. The car I had hit still wouldnt move, so I tried to reverse into what little space the Ai following me had left. The car I'd hit them proceeded to REVERSE as I did for absolutely no reason for about 2 car lengths (I just reversed into the traffic behind because after damaging my truck a fair bit I didn't care) then just drove off. What is with this seemingly erratic behavior? It seems like the AI script was getting wrong information about the road or something

http://s29.postimg.org/uesdt6yjr/20160311193029_1.jpg replicated distance between my truck and ai vehicle
http://s12.postimg.org/qv3bh4azx/20160311191853_1.jpg location and generic screenshot of ai
Jonathan Rabbitt

Re: Serious AI bug near Truckee

#3 Post by Jonathan Rabbitt » 12 Mar 2016 13:30

There is some wacky AI behavior along that stretch of road. I have also observed cars slowing down for no apparent reason when driving through Winnemucca (west on 80). Likewise, traffic seems to slow down before moving into the new lane that opens up travelling north east on 80 into Reno.

These all happen quite often. I'll try to catch examples on video.
Bandit & The Snowman

Re: Serious AI bug near Truckee

#4 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 12 Mar 2016 17:19

All the things you wrote show the AI cars following their rules.
But in a way that's very destructive, either the prefabs or the AI rules need tuning there.
Thomas5020 wrote:The AI car then decided to go from around 55mph to 0 in a couple of car lengths...
It's hard to say what caused that car to stop without witnessing the scene, might be because the van you mention 'told' it that it wanted to change lanes. This AI car would then have 'yielded' for the van. Nice idea, very bad execution.
A van in the other lane then drove a bit in front of it, slammed its brakes on, did a 45 degree angle turn (probably at about 15mph) then sped off.
Default lane changing procedure in ATS (at least in some standard places spread all across the map).
A couple of other vehicles did this. The car I had hit still wouldnt move, so I tried to reverse into what little space the Ai following me had left. The car I'd hit them proceeded to REVERSE as I did for absolutely no reason
The car you had run over had the algorithms for two certain rules running, and they collided eventually: First it started the yielding routine. Then as you hit it, it started the accident routine. While it was waiting to revive, other AI cars (probably at high speed) used the opportunity to change lanes in front of it. That kept it from driving off after reviving as it yielded again, which triggered a time-out that says if a reviving AI car can't move forward along its intended path, there must obviously be an obstacle that it has to drive around. That's why it reversed. (Don't get me started on the reversing routine itself...)
Bad coincidence. I agree it looks totally weird if you don't know their rules.

Suggestion to SCS: In reviving mode, turn off yielding (and possibly other routines). Other AI cars must not change lanes near an accident except if that puts them into a lane that is farther away from the accident. Perhaps make them wait if they're far enough behind the reviving car.

Return to “Bugs 1.1”