[REL] Western Star 4900 EX - RELEASED!

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Oxferd_Gaming

Re: [WIP] Western Star 4900FA Continuation

#11 Post by Oxferd_Gaming » 13 Nov 2021 20:40

I used to drive a truck like that...
But I switched out to the 49x once it came out with more options...
I there I'm glad to meet you! Feel free to visit any of my links down below! :D
My YouTube Channel
My "WOT" Profile
My Steam Profile
My ROBLOX Profile
My mods I've been working on for ATS
Discord - 0xferd#7939
rmodjeski

#12 Post by rmodjeski » 15 Nov 2021 06:15

Hi Outlaw! If you ever need extra parts to this original mod, please let me know! I am known as Sib3rius on Steam. I'd be happy to help in any way.
Outlaw Transport

#13 Post by Outlaw Transport » 15 Nov 2021 19:48

I really apprecicate the offer @rmodjeski - I know the basis of this entire mod is all you! I may take you up on that if I get stuck somewhere haha.

So in other news, a little thread update and situation report on the truck;
When I first started I had no idea the hardest part would be having the game interpret the work correctly. Modeling is the easiest part. 5% of my time is spent doing something sick in Blender and the remaining 95% is figuring out why that thing that looks awesome in Blender looks like total ass in the game.

Case in point; I have a whole bunch of different parts (bumpers, grills, filters, steps, visors etc) done correctly, unwrapped in the same way, baked, given the exact same chrome material (pointing to the same mat files) but they all display wildly different shades of chrome in the game. Some are almost white, and others are dark to the point where they're almost black. At night, they change completely; some almost glow and others do not. I have absolutely zero clue why.

Figuring out these types of problems aren't exactly easy since they don't exist outside of our little trucksim modding bubble. If I'm lucky I'll find something posted on these forums from 6 years ago that's sorta about the same thing but no longer applies. And the modding wiki is horribly lacking, outdated and missing pretty vital details.

I also really dislike how overly complicated many aspects of SCS modding tools are. Why can't I just create a plane and assign a fakeshadow material to it and where I put it is where the shadow appears? Why do I need to involve creating and snapping to locators?

End rant :)
Optional Features

#14 Post by Optional Features » 16 Nov 2021 02:06

Outlaw Transport wrote: 15 Nov 2021 19:48 I really apprecicate the offer @rmodjeski - I know the basis of this entire mod is all you! I may take you up on that if I get stuck somewhere haha.

When I first started I had no idea the hardest part would be having the game interpret the work correctly. Modeling is the easiest part. 5% of my time is spent doing something sick in Blender and the remaining 95% is figuring out why that thing that looks awesome in Blender looks like total ass in the game.

Case in point; I have a whole bunch of different parts (bumpers, grills, filters, steps, visors etc) done correctly, unwrapped in the same way, baked, given the exact same chrome material (pointing to the same mat files) but they all display wildly different shades of chrome in the game. Some are almost white, and others are dark to the point where they're almost black. At night, they change completely; some almost glow and others do not. I have absolutely zero clue why.

Figuring out these types of problems aren't exactly easy since they don't exist outside of our little trucksim modding bubble. If I'm lucky I'll find something posted on these forums from 6 years ago that's sorta about the same thing but no longer applies. And the modding wiki is horribly lacking, outdated and missing pretty vital details.

I also really dislike how overly complicated many aspects of SCS modding tools are. Why can't I just create a plane and assign a fakeshadow material to it and where I put it is where the shadow appears? Why do I need to involve creating and snapping to locators?

After modding a game with a dev-provided modding program that can open any file that the game can read and basically do everything but create the 3d models and textures, I cannot believe how hard this game is to mod, and I commend you and others who actually do know. All I want to do is simple stuff like move a wheel up or down. I can do that in 30 seconds with another game. In this game, it takes me half an hour just to set up the tools to mod.
Dieling

#15 Post by Dieling » 17 Nov 2021 08:37

Outlaw Transport wrote: 15 Nov 2021 19:48 I really apprecicate the offer @rmodjeski - I know the basis of this entire mod is all you! I may take you up on that if I get stuck somewhere haha.

Hey, I suggest join Zeemod's discord server, we have a small modder's den channel there,
many modders there would be willing to help, including myself.
Rice_B0x

#16 Post by Rice_B0x » 18 Nov 2021 03:00

Ah, I remember using this bad boy for a while in 1.40. Great truck, but the 200 gal is much smaller than the usual 300 gal, so I kinda stopped driving it. It'd be great if we can get a 300 gal version.
Outlaw Transport

#17 Post by Outlaw Transport » 18 Nov 2021 19:39

So the extended hood is done pretty much. Damn is it hard to get proportions correct without proper measurements - particularly as a European who, while extremely well traveled in the US, can't recall ever even seeing a 4900 up close lol

(nevermind the shadows that are wrong)
[ external image ]

I also added a Lowmax chassis and spent way too much time making some new original pre-projector era style headlights.

[ external image ]

I think for the first version of this mod, I might go EX only. It's a bit of a structural pain in the D to deal with multiple parts fitting different style hoods - parts like the grill that have minor differences between the FA and EX and, as far as I can tell, aren't interchangeable in real life either. So it goes beyond just moving locators around. I also think most people prefer the EX so it makes sense to release that first. We shall see.

Dieling wrote: 17 Nov 2021 08:37 Hey, I suggest join Zeemod's discord server, we have a small modder's den channel there,
many modders there would be willing to help, including myself.
Oh nice, I'll check in! Thanks for the invite!
Ruward

#18 Post by Ruward » 18 Nov 2021 20:09

Nice headlights!
Greetings oet Grunn!
World of Trucks
J_Logan

#19 Post by J_Logan » 20 Nov 2021 00:46

It's looking good man. Keep it up!

Return to “Trucks”