[REL] Fontaine Phantom [1.2 22/08/2022]

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Smarty
Beta tester

[REL] Fontaine Phantom [1.2 22/08/2022]

#1 Post by Smarty » 07 Aug 2016 06:27

[ external image ]

Description:
The Fontaine Phantom is a discontinued model of all-aluminum flatbed trailer that was produced in the mid- to-late 2000's. The trailer in this mod represents the most typical configuration of the Phantom; 48 feet long, 102 inches wide with spread axles.

This is my first trailer mod for ATS, based on a vastly improved version of my original for 18WoS:PTTM. It is standalone, though it makes use of existing base game cargos where appropriate. It includes a selection of original cargo models by myself as well as some adapted from the base game flatbed trailer. It is also well-balanced with the game's economy; It doesn't flood the job market, and the loads pay reasonable amounts compared to the base game content.

Advanced coupling is supported, as is the trailer picker where cargos are shared with the base game flatbed.

Like my other mods, I will be adding and improving features in future updates.

Wheels:
This mod is compatible with my wheel pack. It's not required, but if it is installed with higher priority than the trailer, it will use the Goodyear G314 285/75R24.5's.

Credits:
Corby - Hendrickson Intraax suspension (heavily modified by Smarty)
SCS - Some cargo models from the ATS flatbed trailer

Special Thanks:
50keda for his invaluable support while learning SCS Blender Tools, and also for developing SCS Blender Tools
mwl4 for developing ConverterPIX which drastically simplified the process of importing/adapting SCS' cargo models
LMB for some advice on the hay cargo.

Support
[ external image ]

Various Disclaimers:
Please, do not upload this elsewhere. My official distribution channels are Workshop and scr-rigs.com only. All brands and trademarks that appear in this mod are property of their respective owners.

Download on SCR
Subscribe on Workshop

-----

"But wait, didn't B4RT already?—" Shhh, it's my model dagnabbit. :lol:

I finally decided to get things rolling on my redux of my Fontaine Phantom from PTTM. I had everything imported months ago, but I wanted to improve on my texture/material skills and become more competent on SCSBT before getting too far in. The updated model has had the poly count reduced by something like half, and is much more true to the real thing. It has the correct number and placement of lights, stake pockets, and pipe spools. I also have a couple Aerolite bulkeads modeled up. Most significantly, the mapping, textures and materials are all being redone.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

As you can see, a few things still need remapping/new textures, but the important functional things are all there. Advanced coupling works, animated landing gear works, and the overall look of the materials is pretty close to satisfactory. I'm still not 100% there with the aluminum.
Last edited by Smarty on 23 Aug 2022 02:00, edited 16 times in total.
Trepanic Mahir

Re: [WIP] Fontaine Phantom 48'x102"

#2 Post by Trepanic Mahir » 07 Aug 2016 07:16

Nice Smarty ;)
TruckSimChris

#3 Post by TruckSimChris » 07 Aug 2016 10:15

Finally, a proper North American trailer mod on this forum by a North American modder. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8-)

Glad you decided to update this trailer yourself. This is the one I've been looking forward to most. ;)
**Ammo_Chief**

#4 Post by **Ammo_Chief** » 07 Aug 2016 16:20

@Smarty
Can you add Alcoa wheels to your finished Fontaine? Thanks!
TexasWhirlwind

#5 Post by TexasWhirlwind » 07 Aug 2016 17:44

Real nice job. I had the one for PTTM I believe that's the game. But this is nice, Thanks for the great mod...

TW

:D
-.- -.-. ..... -- ...- ...-
James60470

#6 Post by James60470 » 10 Aug 2016 04:43

Looks great Smarty! I may have some loads you can use for it. Just gotta hit me up on Steam whenever.
Smarty
Beta tester

#7 Post by Smarty » 14 Aug 2016 08:12

Some more progress shots:

Here's a rather hefty steel coil, on a bunk, in the 'suicide' orientation. This was the first cargo I made for the original PTTM trailer and very little has changed. I'm tempted to redo the chains similarly to how SCS does theirs, as I could cut the poly count considerably. I could use the savings to add two more chains for peace of mind. :?

Also shown is one of the AeroLite bulkheads I made. The other is deeper and will be part of a side kit/tarp system, and shameless effort to round out the number of cargos without having to model them all.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

-----

As seen already, a wrapped lumber load that uses the base game definition.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

-----

And, of course, the one thing everyone in the desert states desires more than anything: Snowmobiles. Right? No? Well, SCS has to start mapping north eventually... 8-)

[ external image ]

-----

My next steps will be shadow geometry, baked cargo shadows, and further refinements to the textures and materials. Then I'll work at adding some more common loads (new and existing), seeing as currently the Phantom is truly ghostly. It's actually a struggle to find it right now. :lol:

I should also note that my aim is for the load securement to follow best practices wherever possible. If I mess up, be sure to call me on it; I might learn something. :mrgreen:
SHin2044

#8 Post by SHin2044 » 14 Aug 2016 15:12

http://atsmods.lt/fontaine-phantom-flat ... solaris36/

:)

Could you also make a tandom/tri version?

That spread has the worst turning radios I have ever seen for a 48' trailer.
Smarty
Beta tester

#9 Post by Smarty » 14 Aug 2016 16:48

That's unlikely. As far as I know, it was only offered in a 10'-2" spread with 30" rear setting for all 45' and 48' models (Phantom X, Phantom, and Phantom ST). There was a 53' option for the Phantom model, with the 10'-2" spread, but with a 90" rear setting which would handle the same as the 48' (same kingpin-to-axle distances) but with an extra 5' overhang to worry about. I think the 53 is quite rare, as I've only ever seen one. I have seen a 48' Phantom modified so the spread was filled in as a tri, and a lift/self-steer was added just in front, but that wouldn't behave correctly in-game currently. In short, Phantom = spread.

Spreads are challenging to drive. Games are often played for their challenge. Mission accomplished? :lol:

Eventually I'll get around to making more trailers, with different axle groupings where appropriate. ;)
SHin2044

#10 Post by SHin2044 » 14 Aug 2016 17:09

Understand, im western Canada so know next to nothing about spreads. But if they really are that bad (as far as radius) IRL I will suck it up :lol:

Im used to 53's tri but those spreads just seem so bad to me lol

Return to “Trailers”