Description.[locale].txt in Workshop

Michaleczeq

Description.[locale].txt in Workshop

#1 Post by Michaleczeq » 24 Mar 2016 17:43

Localized description files with eg. ".en_gb" between "description" and ".txt" can't be upload to SteamWorkshop. It happens because there aren't described in manifest.sii

"description_file:" in manifest.sii isn't array and I can't add new lines eg. "description.en_gb.txt"

Localized description is new feature added in 1.23 and in my opinion, should be able to upload these files

http://pastebin.com/f769nvGB // tool.log.txt
http://pastebin.com/Q7qebTf9 // validation.log.txt
EvgenKo423

Re: Description.[locale].txt in Workshop

#2 Post by EvgenKo423 » 25 Mar 2016 10:56

Show the files you have in a mod's root folder and a content of manifest.sii
Michaleczeq

#3 Post by Michaleczeq » 25 Mar 2016 15:52

[ external image ]
http://pastebin.com/q8JJyKHn // manifest.sii

All files are okay because they work in game properly. Only Workshop Uploader can't upload this files.
EvgenKo423

#4 Post by EvgenKo423 » 25 Mar 2016 17:11

Hmm... You probably correct then, but we need to be sure, ya know... ;)
A hack just from the top of my head: try to specify multiple description_file entries. :P

Why is it bad, actually? I understand, it's an unused file and all, but what if I want to store in a mod some information for future modders? How to update my mod if I abandon it sometime. Or a license, for example.
Michaleczeq

#5 Post by Michaleczeq » 25 Mar 2016 17:58

It's hard for me to explain why is it because I'm not good at English, so I will use a bit google translator

Uploader can upload only registered files.
In ETS2 these files (localized) don't need be registered in manifest,
because they are searched automatically (engine looking [descname_from_manifest].[locale].txt),
and if any is detected, it is loaded
EvgenKo423

#6 Post by EvgenKo423 » 25 Mar 2016 20:18

Well, I understand that. :) I just propose you a way how you can try to bypass the system. ;)
And the last question was actually to the devs. It can't really make something bad to the user. It will just blow your mods and reduce the amount of total space available to you... :roll:
EvgenKo423

#7 Post by EvgenKo423 » 26 Apr 2016 18:32

Okay, same here. Localized description files introduced in 1.23 are still unsupported (and my hack doesn't work :(). I hope you'll fix it soon.
RootKiller
SCS Software

#8 Post by RootKiller » 04 May 2016 12:10

Hello,

the localized description files should work fine in the next tool update.

Best regards,
Eryk
Ex SCS Software Programmer
moblet

#9 Post by moblet » 19 Dec 2016 11:07

Rather than start a new thread it seemed more sensible to me to continue this one.

I have published some mods to the Steam Workshop and want to show translated descriptions (where available) in the Workshop.

I have been able to upload some localised description files with the Steam Uploader. However, when I change my language in Steam I still see the default description text, not the localised text. I don't know if this is because Steam Workshop only ever shows the default description text or because I have the localisation codes wrong (because I cannot find a list of the correct code to use for each language).

I have two questions:
1. Should Steam Workshop be showing the localised description file where available, or always the default one?
2. Is there a list of the language codes (e.g. "en_gb") for all supported languages?
EvgenKo423

#10 Post by EvgenKo423 » 19 Dec 2016 18:14

Hello there and welcome to the forum! :)

Description files are a part of your mod, they are used by an in-game Mod Manager.
BTW, make sure you save them in UTF-8 encoding, otherwise it won't look as expected. ;)

Steam Workshop itself doesn't use any mod content, it's just impossible. To add a localized description to the SW page of your mod you should use Edit title & description option under Owner controls. You can also localize your change notes.
Note: Once you add localized description for some language you can't delete it anymore, so be careful!
Also consider this bug if you will use localized mod descriptions in SW.

AFAIK, there is no complete list of locale codes (and they don't always correspond to ISO 3166 country code for some reason :?).
To get the code you want change an in-game language to the desired one, then open your game.log.txt and find the last g_lang cvar entry (or just type g_lang in console).

P.S.: And yes, you should probably create a new thread for that because it's a different question and not an issue with a tool itself, probably under Mods » Help requests. ;)

Return to “Bugs 1.23”