Expiration time of short jobs is too low [26531]

EvgenKo423

Expiration time of short jobs is too low [26531]

#1 Post by EvgenKo423 » 20 May 2016 10:56

I know it's kinda semi-bug, semi-proposal, but anyway. Sometimes after sleeping inside a city you're getting a very short, "challenging" job with expiration time of 5 min which mostly consists of transporting a cargo from one company to another within this city. And the "challenge" is, in most cases 5 min is not enough to get to that company, because of the red lights or simply because of the distance.
[Edit:] Actually, it looks like it gets generated every time you just sleep, no matter where. It can be generated in any other city, even if you're not there, just like usual jobs.

On a screenshot below you can see a common example of jobs which are impossible to take:
[ external image ]

I think, it would be better if the expiration time would be not just a 5 min, but as with usual jobs: the minimal time needed to get to that company + extra 5 min, for example. As besides these jobs there are no impossible jobs in ETS2, I think it would be fair to fix them as well. ;)

Version: 1.23.3.1s, 64-bit.
Reproducibility: almost always when the job is generated.
Last edited by EvgenKo423 on 04 Jan 2020 10:22, edited 3 times in total.
SiSL
SCS Software

Re: Expiration time of short jobs is too low

#2 Post by SiSL » 20 May 2016 11:01

Well, they are available jobs. You may sleep over and wait for next batch of jobs which are not so tightly scheduled.
EvgenKo423

#3 Post by EvgenKo423 » 20 May 2016 12:53

SiSL, As I said, there are no impossible-to-take jobs in a game other than these. And these short jobs are there for the reason: they are made to take advantage of parking XP bonus and get a lot of XP per short distance. If they're impossible to take - they are useless.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#4 Post by Mohegan13 » 20 May 2016 13:02

Jobs don't spawn when you reach your destination, or because you sleep in the city, they are continually being created and expiring.

It is more likely that they spawned at a random interval and just happened to have 5min left after your sleep cycle finished.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
EvgenKo423

#5 Post by EvgenKo423 » 20 May 2016 18:29

Moh1336, Nope. I know how job system works overall and you can get such short job when some other job expires, but these ones in particular are getting created after you sleep.
[Edit:] Actually, it looks like it gets generated every time you just sleep, no matter where. It can be generated in any other city, even if you're not there, just like usual jobs.

After you sleep, with maybe 30-50% probability instead of some usual job you will get this 1 (very rare 2) short job with 5 min expiration time and it will consist of transporting a cargo within this city (or to some sibling city if it's very close, like Krakow -> Katowice). And it will be 5 min always! I never saw another number!
Last edited by EvgenKo423 on 20 May 2016 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#6 Post by Mohegan13 » 20 May 2016 19:17

I'm not sure if this is a bug or intended behaviour, but since it isn't often possible to get from the rest area to the job in that time (without doing it as a quick job) I have added it on Mantis as 'feedback'.

At least the right people will see it there. ;)

QA: 26531
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
Max
SCS Software

Re: Expiration time of short jobs is too low [26531]

#7 Post by Max » 20 May 2016 23:00

they are generated continunously.
during the sleep (or every other time fast forward) they just appear and after some time they expire. thus, when you wake up, some of them are close to expiration. you may reach some of them and some not. its part of gameplay to guess your options.

i consider it not a bug for now. but i will check the code.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
Max
SCS Software

#8 Post by Max » 23 May 2016 15:25

checked.
each job has 3-30 hours of expiration time (moddable, see cargo validity in economy_data).
there is only one trick done: very urgent job have expiration set current time+5min even if the job have delivery window end near. this is gameplay design to let player take the job that he otherwise could not get technically. you can profit from some jobs even if you are late. this is intentional behavior.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
EvgenKo423

#9 Post by EvgenKo423 » 23 May 2016 16:12

But 5 min is not enough to get to the company and take the job. Is it also intentional?
Reinhard

#10 Post by Reinhard » 23 May 2016 16:38

I guess the problem is how you interpret the job list.

You seem to think that these are jobs offered to you, each offer made at the time when you ask for a job.

If you rather think of it as public offers for everyone, already created while you were still finishing another job, and some of it too late for you to get them in time, everything fits well. At least I've always seen it like this.

At least no trailer is towed away by some competitor, while you are trying to get it. :D

Return to “Bugs 1.23”