'Real Automatic' doesn't account for rpm_limit [MOD :)]

Smarty
Beta tester

'Real Automatic' doesn't account for rpm_limit [MOD :)]

#1 Post by Smarty » 18 Apr 2016 06:12

I came across an interesting issue with the shifting logic in the 'Real Automatic' mode when using an engine whose RPM limit was lower than that of the base game engines, which all use 2200 (except the C15 which uses 2300) — in this case I used rpm_limit: 1800rpm. Under full-throttle acceleration, the game does not upshift even when the RPM limit is hit; It will only upshift under part throttle when I presume the upshift RPM threshold is lower. It seems as if the upshift threshold RPM is a function of only the throttle axis and does not factor in rpm_limit.

My suggestion for a quick, dirty solution is to either scale the upshift threshold proportional to rpm_limit relative to the calibrated rpm limit

Code: Select all

corrected_value = (rpm_limit/2200) * current_value
or have the upshift threshold return whichever is less of its current output and rpm_limit

corrected_value = min(rpm_limit, current_value)
Now, for a more robust solution — at the risk of digressing into a feature suggestion — I would suggest parameterizing the upshift threshold calculation based on two new attributes in accessory_engine_data:

auto_cruise_rpm:
// sets target rpm for automatic shifting algorithm
// algorithm should 'favour' shifts (at low throttle) where the resulting engine rpm is closer to this value, without going under

auto_max_upshift_rpm:
// sets upper limit for upshift threshold

Return to “Bugs 1.2”