No reflection of the truck [NOT A BUG]

San_Sany4

Re: No reflection of the truck [NOT A BUG]

#21 Post by San_Sany4 » 04 Nov 2016 17:44

TarsoMagno wrote:1 reflection per paint job, and add to this the paintjob customization, will be a mess, or am i wrong?
There is no need to pre-generate every variant. Player changes paintjob -> game takes 2-3 "shots" and saves them -> these are applied at appropriate places like air filter or deflector.

Here's what I talk about: you can clearly see road through truck, reflecting in deflector and even in cabin light:

[ external image ]
Road markings are reflecting in deflector through hood, engine, chassis, etc.

[ external image ]
The curved line in the cabin light is a reflection of road marking. The brown colour in the farer part of light is a reflection of sand by the side of the asphalt. Like there is no floor in cabin.

Instead of spending performance for these totally unrealistic reflection I propose creating one static image that will be applied as a reflection. Since hood is not moving relative to the deflector and light is not moving relative to the interior, one image is enough.
My World of Trucks profile. My Steam profile.
ETS2 since 1.4, ATS since 1.0. Vanilla player.
Tiger313

#22 Post by Tiger313 » 05 Nov 2016 21:18

Same when you're backing up, press F5 to look out of window: you see no reflection in the chrome mudguard. I'm used to it by now, but it's still somewhat immersion breaking to me.

Here's the thing that gets me: they say that it would create too much strain on your computer. But it IS already rendering a mirror image of the rest of the world, is it not? Maybe me being silly, but I don't see why it cannot render YOUR truck but it CAN render a random AI truck passing by. Especially where your truck is always there, but the environment that IS mirrored, constantly changes. You would think that that causes more strain than mirroring your own truck?
Max
SCS Software

#23 Post by Max » 13 Nov 2016 12:41

when you mirroring world around you can easily use single reflection for everything.
when you mirroring your truck, it highly depends what you mirroring and from where so you would need many different reflections on the truck to look real.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
San_Sany4

#24 Post by San_Sany4 » 13 Nov 2016 13:23

Can we, at least, have no reflection of the road through the truck in accessories like sunshield and deflector? It will both more realistic and less performance-consuming.
Max
SCS Software

#25 Post by Max » 13 Nov 2016 15:43

erm, no.
every single such reflection has to be new render and thus more costly. not to mention origin, detection or close rendering issues.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
San_Sany4

#26 Post by San_Sany4 » 13 Nov 2016 16:20

Sorry, did I get it right, you can't make these parts non-reflective? It bugs me really hard that I can see road reflections inside of cabin and through the hood.
[ external image ]
Max
SCS Software

#27 Post by Max » 13 Nov 2016 16:50

actually, i did not get what you meant before.
i will check the materials.
Solo_Kamen

#28 Post by Solo_Kamen » 13 Nov 2016 17:04

Max wrote:erm, no.
every single such reflection has to be new render and thus more costly. not to mention origin, detection or close rendering issues.

Will this be on your feature roadmap after implementing DX10/11/12[pick one :) ] ? Just curious, not pressing you to do anything.
Cadde

#29 Post by Cadde » 13 Nov 2016 17:41

I doubt it Solo_Kamen. It would add too much rendering overhead even in DX11+.
On extended hiatus.
San_Sany4

#30 Post by San_Sany4 » 13 Nov 2016 17:51

English is not my first language and this topic started a bit differently, so please excuse me if it's hard to understand me. I'll try to explain my current idea:
  1. As you can see on the screenshot in my previous message, in the deflector, sunshield and air filters, instead of reflection of the hood there is reflection of the road.
  2. Also, there is reflection of the outside world, instead of interior, in reflective materials inside of cabin, like lamp.
  3. Because accessories and other reflective parts are not moving relative to the truck and interior, I believe the «live» reflection can be replaced with static image. I mean, proper image of hood or interior reflection, not the road one. Or maybe there is the way to not re-render these reflections when player isn't moving their camera, or kind of cache it, or something…
  4. If it's not possible, then just make these parts non-reflective, also saving the performance, that's wasted now for these unrealistic road reflections. Not the whole parts, but only the sides visible from inside of cabin. Or maybe make them non-reflective for inside camera and reflective otherwise.

Return to “Bugs 1.4”