No reflection of the truck [NOT A BUG]

TomDooley

Re: No reflection of the truck

#11 Post by TomDooley » 21 Aug 2016 08:05

Besides, That's nothing new... Had that at the very least since the bug deflectors were introduced... I think it's more of a pity that the truck isn't reflected in a chrome trailer right in front of its nose. But I'm willing to accept this limitation

Tom
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#12 Post by Mohegan13 » 21 Aug 2016 08:12

If you search the forum for older posts, it was said it was done to help with FPS.

AI vehicles are very low poly compared to our driver vehicles. Any one who has driven with only one mirror visible then added the hood mirrors and double mirrors will likely have noticed the FPS drop because the game now has to render three additional game scenes. Well that reflection is just another scene to render, much higher quality than the AI vehicles, plus all the accessories you can optionally add.

It just makes sense not to have them IMO and if I am honest, I don't even notice. When I stop behind traffic I tend to use the time to make note of driving hours left, double check delivery company name, check my dials, fuel and the rest. I don't have time to admire my trucks reflection. :P
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
room217au

#13 Post by room217au » 21 Aug 2016 08:17

@Moh1336
..but dude.. you make such gorgeous skins :)
Must admit the only time I noticed it was seeing a car appear in the reflection on the back of the trailer before me. Gave me a start, waiting for the bang.
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.
San_Sany4

#14 Post by San_Sany4 » 21 Aug 2016 11:23

Why can't we have low-poly copy of the truck with low-res textures for reflections only? We do have low-poly models for traffic trucks already, don't we? For the player's truck the model can be re-created once truck configuration is changed and then cached and used till the next "tuning".

And for in-cabin view, for reflections in the deflector and sunshield, we don't need the whole truck, only the hood is needed. And it can be low-poly too.
My World of Trucks profile. My Steam profile.
ETS2 since 1.4, ATS since 1.0. Vanilla player.
San_Sany4

#15 Post by San_Sany4 » 01 Oct 2016 21:15

Sorry for double-post, but I feel like I need to bump the topic. I found one reason, why screenshots are looking unrealistic sometimes: no reflection of truck parts in truck itself. Compare the photo and screenshot (made with best reflection setting):

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Mirrors, wipers, accessories are not reflecting. And it's very visible sometimes. What about them? Is it even possible to reflect? It's not the in-cabin view with different model.
Redbird9346

#16 Post by Redbird9346 » 04 Nov 2016 04:07

I just noticed this with the air filter on the Peterbilt 389. The one to my left doesn't show the truck like the mirrors do, and I can see vehicles in the lane to my right!
SabR

#17 Post by SabR » 04 Nov 2016 04:36

Guys, aren't we already pushing SCS to optimize the overall performance further? Why on earth would we request for more performance taxing reflections to be added to the game? The mirrors are taxing our game just fine. I think we should leave it to them. :P

@San_Sany4, I'm not sure how much of an impact those truck accessories' reflections would have but I'd happily consider performance over it, any given day. Those reflections only matter in screenshots. Most of us drive using the interior camera and hence these reflections don't matter.

@Redbird9346, on top of your camera view, mirrors render the world again. So, the more the mirrors you have on your truck, the slower, lag-prone your game would get. In short, fps loss.
San_Sany4

Re: No reflection of the truck [NOT A BUG]

#18 Post by San_Sany4 » 04 Nov 2016 14:29

For the air filters: isn't it possible to create static image of truck reflection and just apply it once? It doesn't change, because air filters are not moving relatively to truck. Same for hood reflection in sunshield (because now I see road markings reflection in the sunshield all the time and it's really annoying).

Also, is it possible to make photo mode better by applying all the reflections and better graphics like AA and everything when the photo is taken? It will improve photos without affecting in-game performance. Even if it takes a second or two to render, it's only one frame. And the photos will be super-realistic.
Tarso
Beta tester

#19 Post by Tarso » 04 Nov 2016 14:40

1 reflection per paint job, and add to this the paintjob customization, will be a mess, or am i wrong?
SabR

#20 Post by SabR » 04 Nov 2016 15:43

San_Sany4 wrote:For the air filters: isn't it possible to create static image of truck reflection and just apply it once? It doesn't change, because air filters are not moving relatively to truck.
It sounds more like you are asking to paint the air filters with a part of the truck. Lower the opacity of the truck part on the "air filter template" to such a low % that it looks like a reflection. Yes! this should be possible. The template makers would need to include the air filters in the skin template & I don't see it taxing the system. But don't expect anything official, i.e. from SCS.

As a matter of fact, something similar can be done for the front mirror & wiper reflection on the windshield & side mirror on the window. For this, the template maker would have to provide the user with the windshield & windows template, like the ones provided by MADster & ohaha. The only problem I see with wiper static reflections are that they won't sync with wiper movements during a shower & will be evident in your screenshots. :P

That takes care of the illusive reflections. For better screenshots, SCS has provided HQ screenshot options in the console. See this thread for more info >> viewtopic.php?f=111&t=203684

Return to “Bugs 1.4”