AT not shifting based on engine load [NOT A BUG]

Gazer75

Re: AT not shifting based on engine load [NOT A BUG]

#11 Post by Gazer75 » 30 Nov 2016 00:09

New profile, default keyboard settings using cruise control to control speeds.

Simple auto will not upshift unless rpm get to 1600rpm even on flat road.

I think I see now. To have the auto work as a real one I have to check Adaptive?
Didn't like it much as it was so sensitive on the throttle and often downshifted to soon.
Is there a hidden setting for when the downshift is supposed to happen?

Still not able to get it to upshift from 12 to 13.
I use a 3.08 axle ratio btw so not 100% default but the rest is the same. So the rpm vs speed values will be different.
Cruising along at 12th with the C15 625hp engine and empty I still have to increase speed to near 1500rpm before it will shift to 13th. And this running empty on flat road.
The C15 engine is supposed to have max torque at 1000-1400rpm, so why shift so late? Poor fuel economy :)

More testing shows I can run the engine at 1400rpm in 11th on flat or down hill with real auto and adaptive, and it refuses to shift up even though it should.
Sure if I were pulling a heavy load and up an incline, but empty and on flat road?
And if I manually tell it to shift to 12th it will run quite happily at 1200rpm on flat roads, even with ~40Klbs loads. With better fuel economy as a bonus.

Also never seen the auto downshift when going down a hill while retarder is on.
jarvik79

#12 Post by jarvik79 » 30 Nov 2016 03:08

Yes, you need adaptive.

And Max has mentioned they've made some improvements to adaptive shifting the next upcoming beta in response to similar issues in another thread, so probably you want to wait and try those out first.
Gazer75

#13 Post by Gazer75 » 30 Nov 2016 03:38

Think my issue is different. The other post is talking about the kickdown and that there is an issue with shifting down to fast.

My problem is that its not shifting up before reaching the max rpm set for each engine. So you can set CC at a speed that gives just below max rpm and it will never upshift to a more economical gear if running light.

Then there is also the issue of downshifting and running down hill which is impossible.
Each engine have a rpm_range_engine_brake but it is not possible to run in this range with auto as the transmission will shift up before reaching it.
murdoch82

#14 Post by murdoch82 » 30 Nov 2016 03:54

What you want is for the gearbox to just go back up a gear when the load ease off as you top the hill, what most people do with adaptive on is ease back on the throttle then back on it abit to make it shift to a higher gear, but that depends on how hard you where going on it in the first place. I play the game with automatic all the time and I love trying to work with the gearbox and make it do what I want in a realistic matter and I think it does a great job.

I wrote to Max 2+ years ago in PM's and we talked a lot about how the gearboxes should work, pretty much all of this stuff we have now we discussed, but back then even tho I believe he had done some testing, they was not sure they wanted to make things more complicated, he could not promise me it would happen, luckily here we are and we got an amazing AT gearbox now and manual too! :) I have many timed wondered if my suggestions had any bearing on all this, because back then people did not talk about it much if at all, not in that much detail, those that wanted more advanced gearbox management just went manual, or sequential. I spent alot more time on these forums then, ATS has brought me back! :D

What bothered me the most back then was that I could not get the gearbox to 12th without going to 85 km/h... this was all long before ATS ofc.
It was different on some trucks, think the DAF would and some others, they would get to 12th at 80 if you just got up abit above first then back down to 80.. :)
PC: AMD Ryzen R9 5900X, 32 Gb 3200 Mhz,MSI X570S Tomahawk WifI MAX, 6750XT 12Gb, 2x LG 27GL650B-F 144 Hz 1 x ASUS 24" 60 hz 3x1080p, G29 + H-Shifter, TrackIR5
Max
SCS Software

#15 Post by Max » 30 Nov 2016 12:53

Gazer75 wrote:Think my issue is different.
yes it is. your issue is that gearbox is rather lazy and preferred range is long. but this laziness and long ranges are intentional, otherwise there is no stable shifting in all situations (eg european quarry is nice test for any shifting algorithm). transmission DOES take engine load into consideration, but in this case just computes the shift as unnecessary.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
Gazer75

#16 Post by Gazer75 » 30 Nov 2016 22:02

Well its bad for fuel economy that's for sure. I think its over 0.5mpg difference between cruising at say 1400rpm vs 1200rpm with a C15.

For the average player the fuel cost is minor, but for those of us playing with Klaas economy every little drop of fuel counts :)
Cadde

#17 Post by Cadde » 01 Dec 2016 04:38

All automatics are bad for fuel economy in one way or another. ;)

Anyways, maybe suprics AT plugin is something for you? It models the automatic transmission differently to how SCS does it.

In any other case, just bind a button to shift up and hit it whenever you wanna go into cruise mode. (12th gear or whatever)
On extended hiatus.

Return to “Bugs 1.4”