AT not shifting based on engine load [NOT A BUG]

Gazer75

AT not shifting based on engine load [NOT A BUG]

#1 Post by Gazer75 » 06 Oct 2016 05:29

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it has been a problem since ETS2 at least.

It seems the code is only looking at RPM to decide when to shift. This is wrong and really should be fixed.
The transmission would also shift based on engine load.

So basically if I drive up an incline and it downshift, then it should up shift again when reaching flat road.
Currently I can drive at 1500rpm and the transmission refuses to shift, even if I drive on flat road or down hill.
It needs to reach like 1600rpm to actually shift now. Very bad for economy.

This is all programed into the TCU on the real thing.
San_Sany4

Re: Automatic transmission not shifting based on engine load

#2 Post by San_Sany4 » 06 Oct 2016 17:06

You can always tell the automatic gearbox to shift up or down. There are button binds for it in settings. And RPM limits for shifting can be changed in game files.
My World of Trucks profile. My Steam profile.
ETS2 since 1.4, ATS since 1.0. Vanilla player.
Smarty
Beta tester

#3 Post by Smarty » 06 Oct 2016 17:18

It sounds like you haven't tried the 'adaptive automatic transmission' option. It does exactly what you're talking about.
Loutis

#4 Post by Loutis » 07 Oct 2016 07:02

Exactly, try the adaptive one and if you still don't like it you can bind some keys for forcing up and down shifting, which solves the issue.
"I'm not trying to be anyone's savior. I'm just trying to think about the future and not be sad."
Elon Musk

Tesla & SpaceX fanboy. Carefully optimistic about Mars colonisation.
Baja_002

#5 Post by Baja_002 » 07 Oct 2016 07:36

For me the biggest issue is the keyboard; it's always at 100% and it does create some issues while driving (solved partially with the adaptive or manual gearbox). But as OP said, gearbox and overall feeling should be a bit different; especially under heavy load.
Loutis

#6 Post by Loutis » 07 Oct 2016 07:43

Well we cannot really simulate half pedal using keyboard, it is either pushed or released, there is no pressure handler and we cannot tell when to do something like 50% or any other amount other than 0 % or 100 %, so if you are using keyboard it is limited and there is no way we could do anything about it (cheap way to get the precise handling is to get controller, though I would advise you to get a wheel, far better immersion, I am pretty sure people would be bored if they were driving their cars using keyboard too)
"I'm not trying to be anyone's savior. I'm just trying to think about the future and not be sad."
Elon Musk

Tesla & SpaceX fanboy. Carefully optimistic about Mars colonisation.
Gazer75

#7 Post by Gazer75 » 28 Nov 2016 18:00

Smarty wrote:It sounds like you haven't tried the 'adaptive automatic transmission' option. It does exactly what you're talking about.
Completely forgot about this post...

The adaptive is not what I am looking for.
Key here is that the auto refuses to shift back up once I ease off the throttle after going over the hill, unless the rpm is over 1500-1600.
Adaptive would only help force a downshift by applying enough throttle.
Cadde

Re: AT not shifting based on engine load [NOT A BUG]

#8 Post by Cadde » 29 Nov 2016 07:01

And the question remains... Are you playing with a keyboard?
If you are then no amount of simple or adaptive automatic is going to work out as you have two options... No accelerator or pedal to the metal.
Even the best automatics in the world won't shift properly with such input.

But hey, let's imagine for a second that either automatics shifted up as soon as you let go of the accelerator... But you let go of the accelerator because you wanna coast on engine brake (not to be confused with exhaust brake) for a while... What now?
How soon after that do you think someone will make a bug report about how the automatic gearbox shifts up when players want to coast on engine brake at high RPMs?

At the end of the day, no matter how you twist and turn it. If one is driving with keyboard there's just some physical limitations to how well the game can predict your intentions.
With an actual pedal, the auto gearbox will happily shift up if you apply less accelerator (but not fully release it) at certain RPMs. That is, less than 1500.
On extended hiatus.
Gazer75

#9 Post by Gazer75 » 29 Nov 2016 19:07

Keyboard or not, it doesn't matter for this issue.
The problem is there either way as I normally drive with CC on.
Cadde wrote:With an actual pedal, the auto gearbox will happily shift up if you apply less accelerator (but not fully release it) at certain RPMs. That is, less than 1500.
Not happening here.

I think maybe a solution would be to read the fuel consumption to figure out when the transmission should shift up.
Cadde

#10 Post by Cadde » 29 Nov 2016 20:16

The game already has force exertion calculations on drivetrain.
If it's not happening for you then i don't know what's causing it but if i tried i am sure i wouldn't be able to reproduce on the count no-one else has so far.

I am not looking to hook up my wheel right now to test it. But essentially, this is what should happen on the current game implementation:

Code: Select all

rpm_range_low_gear: (800, 1600)
	rpm_range_high_gear: (1100, 1600)
The way i understand it...
Given full accelerator input it will shift down at 800 RPM and up at 1600 RPM.
Given little accelerator input it will instead shift to a higher gear at 1100 RPM.
Given no accelerator input and thus engine braking (possibly in combination with either retarder or exhaust brake) it will downshift at 1600 RPM.

Using adaptive transmission mode, there are other parameters at play as well...

Code: Select all

rpm_range_engine_brake: (1500, 2500)
 rpm_range_power_boost: (550, 450)
Not really sure how "rpm_range_engine_brake" plays out but the "rpm_range_power_boost" is used with adaptive mode to instead make the automatic transmission shift at 550 RPM and 450 RPM HIGHER than the aforementioned low/high gear values.
So it does take current load into account. Such as going up a hill.

There's more official statements here: viewtopic.php?p=573264#p573264
and here: viewtopic.php?p=610701#p610701

Either way, if you can't make your automatic transmission shift into a higher (11->12 for instance) gear between 1100 and 1500 RPM then you are doing something wrong. Be it giving it too much accelerator or not actually having bound analog input to start with. (Check your keyboard bindings so they aren't bound to joystick/wheel, very common mistake)
If all that fails, perhaps your throttle pedal on your wheel (thinking you say you tried that) isn't reporting smoothly and thus, even at say 20% physical input it reports > 50% to the system.

But again, the game IS set up to shift at different RPM's based on either the current RPM (simple auto) and current engine load and accelerator position. (adaptive)
If it works for several people and not for you then it's a matter of finding out what causes it on your end but i doubt it's because of the game. Hence, not a bug but either a technical issue on your part or you are simply expecting the auto transmission to do something it's not currently set up to do.

Of course, you can modify the engine files (and re-purchase that modified engine) and see if you can get your transmission to behave the way you want it.
On extended hiatus.

Return to “Bugs 1.4”