Cross traffic stopping in front of you at yield signs

WarthogCC

Cross traffic stopping in front of you at yield signs

#1 Post by WarthogCC » 19 Sep 2016 20:48

aka "The yield-to proximity radius".

I own both games and there is one bug that I haven't really figured out why it hasn't been fixed yet. (So this is not specific to the latest versions, but is apparent in both games.)

When you stop at an intersection without a traffic light where you have to yield to the cross traffic, if you inch too far forward the traffic stops in front of you one at a time. Each vehicle will slowly pull forward until they are in front of you and blocking you, wait about 10 seconds, and then go.

I can understand this is really supposed to be the AI drivers showing courtesy and letting you make you turn. But why do they stop in front of you so you can't move, instead of stopping a few feet further back (preferably at the stop line) so you can? It's not like they are slamming on their brakes in front of you to avoid an accident. They slowly pull forward until they are blocking you. Then they sit there like "you gonna turn or what?" even though there is NO ROOM to do so.

The intersections where this happens is at all yield signs and some uncontrolled intersections. Like (the most obvious one) off ramps (the ones with a left/right turn and a yield sign at the bottom, not the circles where you go around, more prevalent in ETS2 than ATS) and where you are on a rural road intersecting with a highway (more prevalent in ATS than ETS2). This stopping problem happens for both left and right turns. If you are turning right, the traffic coming from your left will stop dead in front of you. If you are turning left, the traffic coming from the right will stop in the middle of the intersection, giving you barely enough room to go by. (Obviously these are reversed if you are in the UK.)

Sometimes if you have another truck along side you blocking your view, it is necessary to inch forward a little to see if you are clear. This is when the problem happens. And if there is a lot of traffic it is a real pain watching each vehicle take its turn stopping. The only way out of it is to either bully your way through taking damage, or (hoping there is no one behind you) back up a little until the cross traffic keeps moving and doesn't slow down anymore.

That "hoping there is no one behind you" brings up another issue that still has not been addressed. Real traffic does not stop that close (or follow that closely) behind one another. And there is no traffic mod out there that I am aware of that fixes that. But that is another topic.

This stopping problem is quite obvious and I would think considering how long ETS2 has been out that you would not see that in the default (no mods added) game. The idea is to get them to stop before they are in front of you or don't stop or even slow down at all. That is what needs to be fixed.
EvgenKo423

Re: Cross traffic stopping in front of you at yield signs

#2 Post by EvgenKo423 » 20 Sep 2016 15:19

AI drivers almost always give way to you. It would be very boring to wait some 1 in-game hour to get a room big enough to make a turn, yet it's very annoying as well to see them stop before you and making a jam instead of just pass by quickly, effectively making you wait for 1 hour anyway... :?
Last edited by EvgenKo423 on 21 Sep 2016 15:34, edited 1 time in total.
playerITA

#3 Post by playerITA » 20 Sep 2016 15:39

I understand what you mean WarthogCC,

traffic leaves you pass the intersection, giving way take precedence,
but continue to coast until it stops front line just by. :lol:

[ external image ]

AI could go on without pausing or,
as you suggest, to stay at the stop line. :D

translated by google :roll:
abasstreppas

#4 Post by abasstreppas » 20 Sep 2016 16:10

I have never seen this as a big issue. It happens from time to time yes, like it does in real life too. An easy way to get rid of those slowly moving ai's is to turn of your blinker for a while, then they start picking up speed again. ;)
WarthogCC

#5 Post by WarthogCC » 19 Nov 2016 20:37

Sorry for the late reply. But no they actually don't change behavior with the blinker. As I had mentioned you have to pull forward at some intersections to see left-right around other trucks next to you or poorly placed highway signs that block your view. But when you pull forward to see if you are clear, that is when the traffic does this stopping sillyness. As if you are in the intersection already when you are not.
Last edited by Cadde on 20 Nov 2016 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't quote the post immediately above.

Return to “Bugs 1.25”