Mouse not locked to game with dual monitors [NOT A BUG]

willpv23

Mouse not locked to game with dual monitors [NOT A BUG]

#1 Post by willpv23 » 13 May 2017 19:27

With two (and probably more) monitors, the mouse does not stay locked to the game. This has been an issue since the game released, and maybe if I say something it will actually get fixed. If I have the game on my primary monitor, the mouse will move over to the second monitor when I move it. It is not visible, but it is there. I normally have Steam and Discord on my second monitor, and I can always see my mouse hovering over my friends on the Steam friends list (it brings up a window when you hover over their names). If I click while the invisible mouse is hovering over something, it will tab out of the game. If I scroll while the invisible mouse is hovering over a window, the window will scroll.

Windows 10, 64 bit, creators update. Latest version of the game. No mods. Gaming running full screen, highest settings, using the 64 bit Play ETS 2 option in Steam. Like I said, this has always been an issue, and my PC has been fresh installed and updated many many times since the game released so logic says this is an issue on the game's end and not mine.

I've searched for related topics and the only thing I could find was something about disabling scrolling for inactive windows. That is just a treatment for one of the symptoms and not the underlying problem.

Please let me know if you need any more information.
room217au

Re: Mouse not locked to game with dual monitors

#2 Post by room217au » 14 May 2017 02:03

So we're clear..
You are saying that you have two monitors but the game is only on one? And you have the other monitor for showing the rest of the Windows Desktop?
If that's the case then it's probably because the game has priority over the mouse. Moving the mouse "outside the game" so to speak and onto the 2nd screen would mean the game doesn't know where the mouse is, but it still works. The tabbing out of the game would happen because the mouse has been clicked outside the game window.
It would be an interesting experiment to run the game on two monitors and then press F1 to pause the game and allow the mouse pointer to be active. See if it moves across both screens.
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.
willpv23

#3 Post by willpv23 » 14 May 2017 03:57

Yes, correct, the game is on one and the other is for everything else. The in-game mouse does not leave the game screen when paused when running on one monitor, in fact it works completely separately from the Windows mouse. In the screenshot linked here*, you can see the in-game mouse in the game, and the invisible mouse hovering over Carp's profile picture causing it to bring up a window. If I tab out of the game, the mouse will be in that same location where the invisible mouse is. Clicking doesn't always cause it to tab out, only occasionally.

I honestly have no idea how to run the game on both monitors, but I'm sure the in-game mouse should move freely between the two. I wonder if the invisible mouse would still be in the background clicking and scrolling away, though.

*Can't insert an image that large to the post
Eagle_Eye

#4 Post by Eagle_Eye » 14 May 2017 08:00

My system has 3 monitors, all same make, all same model.

I play on the middle monitor, but on Win7 64 bit.

I have no trouble with the mouse staying on the middle monitor.

I play in fullscreen mode.

I see you play full screen, the only reason your mouse should change monitors, would be if you run windowed.... mmmm

EE
Axel Slingerland

#5 Post by Axel Slingerland » 14 May 2017 08:16

willpv23 wrote:*Can't insert an image that large to the post
I use a thumbnail \ image link like this:

Code: Select all

[url=https://s19.postimg.org/7ih2ol19v/you_cant_park_here.png][img]https://s19.postimg.org/j7l2cjs8f/you_cant_park_here.png[/img][/url]
[b]Click to Enlarge[/b]
[ external image ]
Click to Enlarge

The full size image is in the URL section, and the thumbnail is in the IMG section. Then I add the Click to Enlarge below the link.
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
Reinhard

#6 Post by Reinhard » 14 May 2017 09:10

I use a similar combination, full screen, game on main display, desktop on second. Windows 10, but not yet Creators Update. Never had that problem, all the way using Windows 8.0, 8.1 and now 10. If this was common experience, people would complain a lot, and I never even heard of it.

To leave the game temporarily, I always have to use ALT-TAB.

The only time I had problems it was exactly the other way round: I could't switch to desktop. Finally found out that this was caused by a component of MSI Afterburner, "Riva tuner", a server for applying FPS and other info on the game screen. Not your problem, I presume. Just wanted to say that third-party software could have strange effects to games.
room217au

#7 Post by room217au » 15 May 2017 00:40

Eagle_Eye wrote:I see you play full screen, the only reason your mouse should change monitors, would be if you run windowed.... mmmm
+1
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.
Carthoo

Re: Mouse not locked to game with dual monitors [NOT A BUG]

#8 Post by Carthoo » 15 May 2017 14:23

Hi, can you make a video of you playing in full screen - and the problem with mouse?

Every version i tested is ok. When game is on full screen, mouse stays locked in the game, unless i alt-tab.
Fluent in a few languages, sarcasm and irony included. /truth on - currently overloaded, sorry for not answering your PMs - will do so once I got some time

"I can confirm by denial. What's your superpower?"
willpv23

Re: Mouse not locked to game with dual monitors [NOT A BUG]

#9 Post by willpv23 » 15 May 2017 14:38

@Axel Slingerland Thanks, it's been a while since I've used BBCode or anything of the sort.

@Eagle_Eye @room217au I can assure you the game is running in full screen mode. I'm not at home so I can't take a screenshot of my settings, but I know ETS 2's windowed mode is an actual window and not a full screen window. As my previous screenshot shows, it is running full screen. This does bring up another thing. In my experience, with a full screen game, trying to screenshot the entire desktop will result in the monitor with the full screen game just showing a black screen, however that previous screenshot shows otherwise. Maybe something has changed, I'd have to try screenshotting my whole desktop in a different full screen game to test, but that could be part of the problem.

@Reinhard The only 3rd party software that could possibly be causing this behavior would probably be GeForce Experience. I'll have to try without it running, but I'm sure this is something I've tried in the past.

@Carthoo I'll try to make a video later today.

Also, I want to say that this is also a problem in American Truck Simulator, but I'd have to test it again. It's been a while since I last played.
willpv23

#10 Post by willpv23 » 15 May 2017 22:11

Apologies for the double post, but I want to make sure Carthoo sees this update. I can confirm that the same issue also exists in ATS and it happens with just about every background program closed. I should also specify that it rarely actually tabs out of the game, but it does happen every so often. It really hasn't been a big deal, which is why I haven't reported it (I also figured it would be fixed at some point), but it can be rather annoying when I have things popping up and moving around on the other monitor while playing. See video:

Return to “Bugs 1.27”