Preferred job length slider not intuitive [NOT A BUG]

Bob

Preferred job length slider not intuitive [NOT A BUG]

#1 Post by Bob » 24 May 2017 19:33

Version: 1.27.2.3s

The "preferred job length" slider in the Gameplay options menu increases "g_job_distance" when it is decreased (slid to the left) and decreases "g_job_distance" when it is increased (slid to the right).

All the way left sets "g_job_distance" to '5'
and all the way right sets "g_job_distance" to '0.2'

This seems counter intuitive to me.

I don't know if it's been reported already or if it is intentional behaviour.
Tarso
Beta tester

Re: Preferred job length slider not intuitive [NOT A BUG]

#2 Post by Tarso » 24 May 2017 20:25

And if we imagine the X distance travel and use the number obtained from the slider as a divider of this number.

We get like this:

I.E:
X=1000km

Minimum preference (full left) 5
1000/5 = 200km

Maximum preference (full right) 0.2
1000/0.2 = 5000km

This way gets more intuitive to think about it.
Bob

#3 Post by Bob » 24 May 2017 21:41

Makes sense when you put it like that. Reason I brought it up was I wanted more short distance jobs so put it all the way left and ended up with more 2000km+ jobs showing up than when it was all the way right. I know there is still a few random distance jobs throw in with the preferred length ones so maybe it is just coincidence.
Tarso
Beta tester

#4 Post by Tarso » 24 May 2017 23:42

For me it works and i get really small jobs, but still get some longer jobs.

The important thing about is to let some time(days) pass in game so to make sure job market is refresed with the new set value from slider.
room217au

#5 Post by room217au » 25 May 2017 09:56

Bob wrote:[..]I wanted more short distance jobs[..]
I'm pretty sure Max has said here previously that the slider does not generate jobs, it merely 'filters' available jobs.
I'm equally kind-of-sure that the number of points in "Long Distance" skill affect how many of the jobs generated are longer distance.
Therefore, it would appear to me that no matter where the slider is, a certain number of long distance jobs will always appear.

[edit]
Xyzan has written a program for ETS2 called "Virtual Speditor". I use it all the time. It has now been updated for Heavy Cargo DLC and he should make it available pretty soon.
Essentially it allows you to specify what cargo you take from what city to what. And you can have multiple jobs back-to-back.
You can "design" your own jobs - and distances - however you want.
It's an awesome mod, imho.
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.
Tarso
Beta tester

#6 Post by Tarso » 25 May 2017 12:18

yes the driver level and the long distance skill affects the "X" value, than the slider makes the multiplication.

but even in a level 67 profile with all maxed out skills i get 200km and even less on the full left slider, but still get some big jobs spawning on job market.
Rhythmosaur

#7 Post by Rhythmosaur » 06 Jun 2017 20:04

I was actually about to report this slider as not working. Thanks @Bob for bringing this matter up.

The problem only now surfaced to me, because I finally have my 100% map discovery achievement, that's why I turned to learning my way around without the GPS. So far I can only do that in the UK, therefore I want to learn more tracks. Short hauls is what I need to do it and they simpy didn't turn up.

I could not describe it any better: The slider IS counter intuitive.
Hire Kriechbaum!, please!
Max
SCS Software

#8 Post by Max » 08 Jun 2017 21:37

slider is intuitive - as left means more shorter jobs, right means more longer jobs. only thing is that it affects future jobs only (as they generate). reset economy if you have the change immediately.

the value of config variable is power of some function used in formula. implementation itself is difficult to understand as there is quite complicated statistics theory behind (interconnected with many game features). only very few people had complains so it apparently works well (way much better than anything before).
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
San_Sany4

#9 Post by San_Sany4 » 09 Jun 2017 02:44

Slider is OK, but it would be much better if there was some kind of indicator showing any numeral info, like average lenghth, or mean value, or median, or 50th/75th/90th percentile, or mode. It would be easier to understand the position of slider and know what length to expect for the next jobs.
My World of Trucks profile. My Steam profile.
ETS2 since 1.4, ATS since 1.0. Vanilla player.
Rhythmosaur

#10 Post by Rhythmosaur » 11 Jun 2017 09:01

That would be a nice compromise. Or, making nails with heads as we say in Germany, let's have tooltips. Especially in graphic settings, this is something I miss for the less self explanatory stuff. Let them be activated while hovering over the item and rightclicking, and vanishing only as you move off again. That's how my beloved Papyrus Nascar 2003 Season does it, and you can also turn them off.

UPDATE:

How about the following suggestion:

Let's have notches representing the distances specified in skill_distance[0] to skill_distance[5]. This way, at least we modders could directly influence these distances to our liking by editing skill_distance in economy_data.sii.

This way we work with absolutes and not with percentages which makes getting short distances easier as the map "grows" bigger.

On the code side, we just have to prevent people from "illegally" overriding their actual skill value by using notch 6 (= skill_distance[5]).
For us modders, if we set skill_distance[0]= 50 for example (which in some areas would be a problem, admittedly), putting the slider all to the left would - if provideable - give us the close range filter we would like, with the possibility to adjust it if it doesn't work at this particular city.
Hire Kriechbaum!, please!

Return to “Bugs 1.27”