truck speed to slow for USA [NOT A BUG]

TexasWhirlwind

truck speed to slow for USA [NOT A BUG]

#1 Post by TexasWhirlwind » 09 Aug 2017 14:23

SCS, How about speeding up the AI trucks so they will run atleast 70 on the interstates. 50 to 55 mph is really slow for US traffic on the interstates.. In real life you would probably get a ticket for running to slow. We need better truck ai speeds on all roads...
-.- -.-. ..... -- ...- ...-
Frontiersman

Re: truck speed to slow for USA

#2 Post by Frontiersman » 09 Aug 2017 14:30

As far as I know, minimum speeds are 40MPH to 45MPH up to around 65MPH speed limit, and 70-75MPH speed limit the general minimum is 50MPH. Most places do not publish a minimum speed. But I can tell you, given the large number of newer (2007-up) trucks on the highways generally owned by large trucking companies, the majority of US trucks are governed to 60-65MPH.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just stating what I know. 55 in a 70 is rather low, but irl, a truck governed at 60 on a 75MPH highway is just as jarringly slow. Minimum speeds are mostly officer's discretion since federal limits and minimums were revoked.
TexasWhirlwind

#3 Post by TexasWhirlwind » 09 Aug 2017 14:58

On the interstates you seldom see a truck going 65 mph. Now some companies that furnish their own trucks may have them governed down to 60 to 65. But owner operators don't have them that way. They atleast run the speed limit on the interstates which in most places is 80. But really needs to be stepped up to 70 for trucks atleast. Not 55 or 60. I have never seen any truck go that slow on interstates. Unless they were little trucks or company owned. But anyways I think they need to be up to atleast 70 on the big roads. 65 on the little roads. And 30 to 35 in towns. On the main streets they can go 20 to 25. Just my 2 cents worth of daily complaining.
-.- -.-. ..... -- ...- ...-
Frontiersman

#4 Post by Frontiersman » 09 Aug 2017 15:16

You should pay more attention. Again, I'm not being argumentative, but let's look at what you said.
"On the interstates you seldom see a truck going 65 mph" That's plainly your opinion based on how you are interpreting what you see, or literally what you pay attention to. As a retired driver, I can plainly say I ALWAYS saw trucks going 60-65 on the interstates.
"some companies that furnish their own trucks may have them governed down" MOST companies that furnish their own trucks DO have them governed. Engine wear, insurance, fuel mileage. There is simply no valid reason for a large company to NOT govern their trucks. A bit of research will reveal this.
"I have never seen any truck go that slow on interstates." 55? Me neither. 60MPH, I'm willing to bet you have, unless you haven't spent much time on the interstates of this country. Again, maybe you were just in drive-mode and not trying to analyze the speed of trucks you are passing.

Owner-operators are of course an exception. But there is still some reserve there. Most truckers (truckers, not trucks) are governed this way: Their speed is controlled by their right foot, which is connected directly to their wallet.

I've spent many years on the interstate system in the US, and things now are much different than they were when I started driving.

Return to “Bugs 1.28”