Lift Axles turn when raised [NOT A BUG]

Eugene
Global moderator

Re: Lift Axles turn when raised [NOT A BUG]

#21 Post by Eugene » 14 Sep 2018 07:23

Chassis names are a mess.
Scania configurator, for example, says 6x2 - is a truck with 1 driven axle, and liftable tag axle (behind driven)
6x2/2 - is a truck with 1 driven axle, and liftable, but not steerable axle (in front of driven)
6x2/4 - is a truck with 1 driven axle, and liftable steerable axle (in front of driven)
Source

And DAF, makes it somewhat easier, having names for each chassis e.g.:
FT (4x2)
FTG (6x2, mid lift, steerable)
FTP (6x2, mid lift, non steerable, mid alxe has 17,5 inch wheels)
FTS (6x2, tag lift, dual tires)
FTR (6x2, tag lift, single tires)
and so on

I guess we could gather all information in here, if SCS needs it.
Ex-Deejay

#22 Post by Ex-Deejay » 14 Sep 2018 07:36

the point is not how it is in real life. Cause different manufacturers use different names for their chassis.

the point is that in ETS2 the wheels will clipping through fender if they turn when lifted.
so the easyest way to solve this is to change it back like it was before 1.32, so that lifted axles don't turn, to avoid colliding with other truck parts.
ATS 1.35.1.27s (64bit) vanilla - all dlcs
ETS2 1.35.1.13s (64bit) vanilla - all dlcs
RWB

#23 Post by RWB » 21 Sep 2018 22:04

I post this here as it is the only place I can find talking about this issue, or non-issue to some, as referring to European trucks. This change may have corrected how "steer-axle" trucks work in ETS2, but it also "broke" the realism for "tag-axle" chassis types in ATS.

First, I will acknowledge that there aren't any official "steer-axle" or "tag-axle" truck chassis models in ATS, though I would hope for some (tag-axle)in the future. There have been several quality mods made that have such chassis', and are now completely unrealistic from what has been called a change hard-wired into the game code.

I know as well, that this might not be considered a problem to SCS since they are unofficial, but I would hope the future will bring such "official" chassis to ATS & as many are glad to have an error corrected for ETS2, I would wish the same for ATS.

As many might know, in the U.S. the extra axle/axles on these chassis' are commonly known as "Tag" axles, (this bit is from another poster who explains it as well as anyone i'd guess) They are "self-steering" or "passive steering" axles and simply follow the general direction the truck is traveling. They aren't actively steered but rather use the caster to make the wheels track and dampers (just like shock absorbers)to prevent/reduce wobble. They do not track backwards, and must be lifted when reversing or serious damage to the axle could result, especially on asphalt/concrete. The last bit(not tracking backwards) would probably be hard to produce in the game.

Again, I realize this probably isn't much of an issue to most, though I read some interesting idea's in this thread that could probably make the best for both games.

As far as the issues posted here in ETS2, personally I dislike the look of wheels turned/turning while lifted, but if it's accurate.....I can't complain.

if this wasn't the right place to post about this topic, my bad. Cheers
Deezle

#24 Post by Deezle » 09 Sep 2019 02:03

^I wish to echo what the poster above has said^

It affects ATS too, and it's absolutely not correct for American trucks. This should be a variable in the chassis file, not hard coded into the game and unchangeable.

Return to “Bugs 1.32”