How do you open the PMD files (for models)

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check chapters [4] and [5] of Forum Rules.
crazycrinkle

How do you open the PMD files (for models)

#1 Post by crazycrinkle » 26 Sep 2020 17:12

I am trying to figure out what program opens PMD model files, or whichever file it is that contains data and settings for each object. Does anyone know?

I should probably add that I'm looking to find the setting for objects which controls the distance at which they "pop" into existance.

JUseeTV

Re: How do you open the PMD files (for models)

#2 Post by JUseeTV » 27 Sep 2020 08:58

Pmd files can be opened with Blender by directly importing them into Blender by using this tool viewtopic.php?f=160&t=245065 or by converting it beforehand with ConverterPIX viewtopic.php?f=162&t=216158 and then afterwards importing in Blender with SCS Blender Tools viewtopic.php?f=160&t=176424

Wolfi
Beta tester

#3 Post by Wolfi » 27 Sep 2020 09:16

crazycrinkle wrote:
26 Sep 2020 17:12
I should probably add that I'm looking to find the setting for objects which controls the distance at which they "pop" into existance.
The "popping into existence" is not coded in the model file, so opening and editing the model will not affect it in any way.
The part that's responsible for it is buried in the game code and AFAIK not accessible for regular users.

Reinhard

#4 Post by Reinhard » 27 Sep 2020 09:59

Most distances are set as a per-object instance in the map, and can be changed only with the help of the map editor. But that means to create and use a map mod, with all its consequences. A lot of work. And you would have to convert that mod with any major game version change, and will miss any change done by SCS, until you re-incorporate that change into your mod, which is not exactly easy.

What is hard coded are the default distances like 120, 400, 950 and 1400 meters. But these are suggestions only, one doesn't have to use these. A change of these, in the code, would mean nothing for existing stuff.

In the editor, you can set any value up to 1500 meters. 1500 is the absolute limit right now, also hardcoded. And that's the real bummer.

plykkegaard

#5 Post by plykkegaard » 27 Sep 2020 10:28

Are you looking for the LOD (Low Object Deteail) models or the configuration which controls which LOD models are uses?
Office moved to Fort Collins, Colorado

Reinhard

#6 Post by Reinhard » 27 Sep 2020 10:54

He said "find the setting for objects which controls the distance at which they "pop" into existance". Doesn't sound like LODs.

crazycrinkle

#7 Post by crazycrinkle » 27 Sep 2020 12:35

Reinhard wrote:
27 Sep 2020 09:59
Most distances are set as a per-object instance in the map, and can be changed only with the help of the map editor. But that means to create and use a map mod, with all its consequences. A lot of work. And you would have to convert that mod with any major game version change, and will miss any change done by SCS, until you re-incorporate that change into your mod, which is not exactly easy.

What is hard coded are the default distances like 120, 400, 950 and 1400 meters. But these are suggestions only, one doesn't have to use these. A change of these, in the code, would mean nothing for existing stuff.

In the editor, you can set any value up to 1500 meters. 1500 is the absolute limit right now, also hardcoded. And that's the real bummer.
This was sort of what I was looking into as to whether each model in the game had an individually defined "setting" that controlled the distance under which it appeared, in something like a DEF file. I had set the camera's "far_plane" values up to 700,000 in the camera / units sections, but saw no improvement. I had thought that there may have been a setting in the map editor but if it's hard capped at 1500, well thats not far enough to stop mountains and tree walls very visually just springing into existence and curtailing the effective immersion of a seamless world.

Clearly somewhere in the game is a bit of code which is (in non programmatical language) if (distance between object and truck) is [less than] object.VisibleDistance then showobject()

It really wouldnt be hard to add a variable e.g. dist_offset to a def file, and add that to the object's default VisibleDistance when that check is run (e.g. if (distance between object and truck) is [less than] (object.visibledistance + dist_offset) then showobject()

Of course i have noticed in the big DLC cities and especially in ProMods cities, the framerate tanks a bit at 400% rendering, I can happily lower that if the trade off between jaggies and pop-in increases the immersion.

Etrusan

#8 Post by Etrusan » 27 Sep 2020 14:06

Default distance was in def files, but was removed. Now it's all handled in editor and only way to change it is to load the map in editor, change the values and save the map.
Seasonic SSR-650TD; Intel Core i5-6600K 3,5GHz; Gainward GTX 1060 6GB Phoenix GS; 2x Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB; 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB; Corsair Force MP510 960GB; 2x 24" AOC I2481FXH; Windows 10

Reinhard

#9 Post by Reinhard » 27 Sep 2020 15:36

Correct. That "default" distance was only useful if there was no explicit decision about distance made, when putting an object into the map. Rarely used, for a reason.

There is a common misconception about those dreaded pop-ups. Most of them (99%) are perfectly fine, because they happen when the event is hidden. You can't see almost all of the pop-ups. Some other objects are obstructing the view, when the event takes place.

The only problematic ones are those few which aren't hidden, and even more those who can't be hidden.
crazycrinkle wrote:
27 Sep 2020 12:35
It really wouldnt be hard to add a variable e.g. dist_offset to a def file, and add that to the object's default VisibleDistance when that check is run (e.g. if (distance between object and truck) is [less than] (object.visibledistance + dist_offset) then showobject()
No clever real-time algorithm can predict when a pop-up would be visible or hidden, without severe performance loss. Relying on an object-type based distance would be disastrous, because the performance impact would be exponential, with distance. It is really necessary to cut down the distance individually, in the map.

Most pop-ups you see are simply errors, escaping testing of the map. Or the map devs show a different attitude to what is tolerable, than me, and what is not. But some are inevitable, because of that 1500 meter limit.

Return to “Mods”