Utility to create quick jobs for trucks without them and convert DirectX dds files to an OpenGL compatible format

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
TurboWafflz

Utility to create quick jobs for trucks without them and convert DirectX dds files to an OpenGL compatible format

#1 Post by TurboWafflz » 13 Feb 2021 02:10

After a lot of manually fixing issues with mods, I've made a simple Python script for fixing/improving ETS2/ATS mods on Linux (and possibly MacOS, although this is untested, if you try it on a Mac, feel free to give feedback and I'll try to fix any issues that might exist).
Currently, the script will generate quick jobs based on the truck's dealer definitions, and convert the mod's dds files to an OpenGL compatible format (If you see black untextured areas on a truck, this will most likely fix that).

Usage:
  1. Download the Python script here: https://turbowafflz.gitlab.io/ETS2/modConvert.py (GitLab is annoying and will probably display the file in your browser. If it does, you can just press Ctrl+S to save it or download it with wget)
  2. Install dependencies (Python 3, TQDM, ImageMagick)
    On Ubuntu, this can be done by running

Code: Select all

sudo apt install python3 python3-pip imagemagick
    followed by

pip3 install tqdm
    in a terminal
  3. Extract the *.scs file for the mod (This is generally a zip or rar file which can be extracted using the appropriate command line utility or a graphical program like Ark)
  4. Open a terminal inside the extracted mod (Make sure you're at the same level as 'manifest.sii')
  5. Copy the downloaded Python script to the current folder
  6. To convert dds files and create jobs, run

python3 modConvert.py --dds --jobs
    Alternatively, you can omit either '--jobs' or '--dds' depending on your needs.
  7. Either repack the mod into a zip file and put it in your mods directory, or just put the extracted mod folder into your mods directory
yaumeister

Re: Utility to create quick jobs for trucks without them and convert DirectX dds files to an OpenGL compatible format

#2 Post by yaumeister » 15 Apr 2021 11:58

Just spotted this and want to say thanks! I also ended up having to convert many DDS files manually, this will really help.
wooter

Re: Utility to create quick jobs for trucks without them and convert DirectX dds files to an OpenGL compatible format

#3 Post by wooter » 28 Oct 2021 22:04

This worked wonders on my MacOS. Some Southern Region maps had OpenGL incompatible textures on fuel stations, roads and geographic elements, and this fixed them. Thanks!
detourist

#4 Post by detourist » 15 Nov 2021 18:39

Just tried it. Since I'm new to this: The files are still DirectDraw format, that is .dds, right?
Kaperios

#5 Post by Kaperios » 14 Feb 2022 16:51

So I've found this and tried it. One issue that seems to arise is that the script doesn't seem to convert mipmaps? Most of the textures indeed appear fixed but only when you come close to them so the full texture renders, if you go further it just goes back to black.
TurboWafflz

#6 Post by TurboWafflz » 15 Feb 2022 18:44

Interesting, I didn't even realize the mipmaps needed converting and had never noticed that causing problems. I'll look into it when I get a chance and try to implement converting them.
BrownieHAJ

#7 Post by BrownieHAJ » 30 Mar 2024 18:11

wooter wrote: 28 Oct 2021 22:04 This worked wonders on my MacOS. Some Southern Region maps had OpenGL incompatible textures on fuel stations, roads and geographic elements, and this fixed them. Thanks!
@wooter Could you possibly help me execute this on mac? Contact me via pms (here on the scs forum) or on discord on BrownieLAX

Thank you!
BrownieHAJ

#8 Post by BrownieHAJ » 31 Mar 2024 11:16

Can someone make a walkthrough video on how to use this on mac?

Return to “Others”