Ireland pre-research tips

Dirk
SCS Software

Ireland pre-research tips

#1 Post by Dirk » 18 Jan 2019 15:26

Hello everybody!

As we're doing some pre-research for ETS2, we'd like to know your opinion on some of the things which we shouldn't miss in the game in our future planned DLCs - in this case for the IRELAND state.

Unfortunately it can be very easy to miss some key spots when planning a future road network. We can judge only from what we read or see, while those who live there, have driven there or visited there, can point us towards some famous truck stops, interesting landmark, points of interest etc.

So we'd appreciate any tips which could be helpful for us and that could easily work with in-game mechanics. Try to keep in mind that we're interested in places connected with trucks and roads. So if you have some tips, we'd be grateful. Don't be shy to add photos / videos of said locations (in better quality, so our graphics can use them as pattern).

Please be aware, that states listed here mean absolutely no promise of what's the next DLC or what states will come first. Also we can't guarantee that we'll use the research you give us - it depends on many aspects (which can't be all written here).

Cheers! [ external image ]
supersobes
Global moderator

Re: Ireland pre-research tips

#2 Post by supersobes » 22 Feb 2019 22:52

Something worth noting about Ireland is that they use the "American style" guardrail end terminals in many places. When Ireland gets implemented into ETS2, it would be cool to have this detail.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

They are just like the ones that have been used in ATS in the New Mexico and Oregon DLCs.

[ external image ]

Google Maps References:
Ethan QS

#3 Post by Ethan QS » 29 Mar 2019 00:01

@supersobes I’m Irish and never realised this. Guess you don’t notice the everyday things around you.
natjer3

#4 Post by natjer3 » 03 Apr 2019 12:14

I have a few port/ferry and city suggestions: (Ive been to Ireland)

Ferry
Larne - Cairnyryan (ive been on this ferry. Its 2 hours long in real life)

Dublin - Liverpool

Cork - Roscoff (Vive le France)

Cities
Dublin (There are trams in Dublin)
Cork
Limerick
(UK)
Belfast
Londonderry

In Ireland there is a lot of greenery which makes it very beautiful.
Ethan QS

#5 Post by Ethan QS » 03 Apr 2019 16:47

Good information, though i have a few corrections. Most popular ferry port in Ireland is Rosslare, County Wexford. I would disregard Cork as a ferry port. This can be;

Rosslare - Cherbourg
Rosslare- Roscoff

Also Dublin ports mainly go to Holyhead;

Dublin - Holyhead
Dublin - Liverpool

Cities;
Dublin (‘trams’ are called the LUAS)
Cork
Limerick
Galway
Waterford
LondonDerry
Belfast

Towns;
Athlone
Tralee
Castlebar
Naas
Dundalk
Clonmel
Kilkenny
Sligo

Motorways;
M50
M7/N7 (currently under expansion)
M1
M11
M4/N4
M8
M9
M18

Hope this is helpful.
natjer3

#6 Post by natjer3 » 03 Apr 2019 17:32

*Quote Removed*

Thanks for replying
I would also like to see also the tolled tunnel which passes underneath Dublin. About the tram, thanks for giving the name. Something I remember from my visit is that they arent fast. If they had to add Dublin, I hope they make it look pretty close to real life as I liked Dublin.
Also, adding Larne - Cairnyryan would be good as travelling to Scotland would take less time
Last edited by Mohegan13 on 03 Apr 2019 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote removed. Don't quote the post directly above.
jackbus

#7 Post by jackbus » 05 Apr 2019 04:49

The Titanic Museum (old ship factory) located in Belfast should not be missed as a landmark.

Expected to see the tram in Dublin.

Limerick is also a city that should not be missed.

Thanks.
Ethan QS

#8 Post by Ethan QS » 05 Apr 2019 10:44

natjer3 wrote: 03 Apr 2019 17:32
I would also like to see also the tolled tunnel which passes underneath Dublin. About the tram, thanks for giving the name. Something I remember from my visit is that they arent fast. If they had to add Dublin, I hope they make it look pretty close to real life as I liked Dublin.
Also, adding Larne - Cairnyryan would be good as travelling to Scotland would take less time
The Port Tunnel is very important yes, it's the main route from the M50 to Dublin Port.

The LUAS is the inner-city rail which travels along some pedestrian streets so is often quite slow.

Larne-Cairnyryan is a port of lesser significance in Ireland. There's currently no countries with more than 2 ports in game, and with Ireland being so small I'd doubt there will be more than 2. The most popular ferry ports are; Dublin-Holyhead and Rosslare-Cherbourg/Roscoff. But with them being so close, Cork-Cherbourg could take the place of Rosslare, although it's mainly a cargo port, not a ferry port.
Yardem

#9 Post by Yardem » 05 Jun 2019 09:56

The Dublin Port Tunnel, which connects the M50 to the Dublin Port is free for trucks. See toll information for Dublin Port Tunnel.
In fact, after the tunnel was opened, a ban has been placed on all 5-axle vehicles for the city centre roads. Basically, the large trucks that used to go across the city, along the Liffey river, causing havoc for city traffic (which is still very bad without the trucks), are forced to go up the M50 and down the tunnel into the port.
I assume the game would not have this feature, but between 7am and 7pm, trucks should not be allowed through the Dublin city centre.

As far as Dublin landmarks go, I would love to see some of the iconic bridges over the Liffey river, for example the Samuel Beckett bridge (map), the James Joyce bridge (map) or the pedestrian Ha'penny bridge (map).

Some of the architecturally significant buildings around the main roads are the Convention Centre (map), and the 3 Arena (map).
natjer3

#10 Post by natjer3 » 05 Jun 2019 14:16

If the Dublin Port Tunnel is added, the 3 Arena would also be something which easily added as it is close to it

Return to “Euro Truck Simulator 2”