Traffic rules

Dirk
SCS Software

Traffic rules

#1 Post by Dirk » 19 Dec 2019 10:02

Hello there, let's try something new!
You guys are from all around the world, so I think you could help us to fill up some blind spots.

We are looking for traffic rules, but not just any traffic rules. Traffic rules that are unique to your country (or are just not so common in the rest of the Europe)
Feel free to include any European country, we want to gather as much info as we can ;)

For an easier start, let's give you a simple example of what we need.
In most European countries the speed limit determined by "speed limit" sign, is defaultly canceled by any marked intersection.
Well not with our friends in Germany, where there need to be "end of speed limit" sign present for it to end.

Does the intersections in your country also not cancel the speed limit? Got any more unique traffic rules you want to share with us? Now is the time.

looking forward to reading through these
cheers [ external image ]
Wolfi
Beta tester

Re: Traffic rules

#2 Post by Wolfi » 19 Dec 2019 10:36

Welp, I'll start with something fairly random that was bugging me from the early days of the game.
In Poland "green arrows" are super common on intersections with traffic lights.
[ external image ]
This allows you to make a right turn even on red light, but you still need to give way to pedestrians (if there's a crossing) and obviously to the cars that drive through the intersection.
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#3 Post by Mohegan13 » 19 Dec 2019 10:38

As far as I am aware the UK speed limits only change when there is a sign telling you the speed limit, whether that is an increase or decrease.

Areas where there are no street lights = National Speed Limit, unless signs say otherwise.

If there ARE street lights, it’s 30mph, unless signs say otherwise (not counting motorways).
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
Holzauge

#4 Post by Holzauge » 19 Dec 2019 11:01

As far as I know over here in Germany intersections do end the speed limit as well...

Another thing: I am a little bit annoyed about the - sometimes - extremely short yellow phase of the traffic light(ETS2 and ATS). Here in Germany - where else :mrgreen: - the duration of the yellow phase is ruled: 3 seconds @ 50kmh, 4 seconds @ 60kmh and 5 seconds @ 70kmh. No traffic lights beyond 70, at least as far as I know. ;) (VwV-StVO zu § 37, Randnummer 17, Punkt IX)
VDMA
cip

#5 Post by cip » 19 Dec 2019 11:04

in Belgium I have seen the green arrow to turn right in few places but is rather rare. what's weird here is the massive number of crossroads have right priority inclusively roundabouts, unless there are equipped with an yielding triangle!
also as general rule, all big cities in Europe where I have been driving, the large 2x2 roads have a 70 km/h limit instead of 50 km/h to ensure fluidity of traffic. in Brussels there is no exception, however in tunnels there is sometimes a limit of 50 km/h even in these 2x2 roads.
the 70 km/h rule in cities expressways (for cars only) is implemented in my traffic mod since the first release in 2017 ;)
Enjoy driving with my Real Traffic Density for ETS2 and ATS
Enjoy listening my Real Ai Traffic FMOD Sounds for ETS2 and ATS
I have quit SCS forum...
daniel_bel

#6 Post by daniel_bel » 19 Dec 2019 11:05

BELGIUM non highways: in Flanders is 70 km/h while 90 in Wallonia

Trucks may never overtake while it's raining, on highways with multiple lanes, except agricultural machines or dedicated slow lane.

When speed limit is noted with signal C43 (zone limitation) it is valid until "end of zone" signal, can be quite long.

Current version of Traffic Rules (in french) https://www.code-de-la-route.be/downloa ... 0route.pdf (signs from page 88).
Domin Illum Mea
Born before Arpanet, playin' that way
Do you really believe Charles touched his nose?
xyzan

#7 Post by xyzan » 19 Dec 2019 11:19

cip wrote: 19 Dec 2019 11:04 in Belgium I have seen the green arrow to turn right in few places but is rather rare. what's weird here is the massive number of crossroads have right priority inclusively roundabouts, unless there are equipped with an yielding triangle!
also as general rule, all big cities in Europe where I have been driving, the large 2x2 roads have a 70 km/h limit instead of 50 km/h to ensure fluidity of traffic. in Brussels there is no exception, however in tunnels there is sometimes a limit of 50 km/h even in these 2x2 roads.
the 70 km/h rule in cities expressways (for cars only) is implemented in my traffic mod since the first release in 2017 ;)
In Poland this isn't a rule. There are often signs, that allow you to move faster, but in city limits, it is always 50km/h (60 during night hours)- even on 4 lane, one way road, if signs does not allow you to go faster.
like here:
https://www.google.pl/maps/@52.2202863, ... 384!8i8192
Wolfi wrote: 19 Dec 2019 10:36 Welp, I'll start with something fairly random that was bugging me from the early days of the game.
In Poland "green arrows" are super common on intersections with traffic lights.
This allows you to make a right turn even on red light, but you still need to give way to pedestrians (if there's a crossing) and obviously to the cars that drive through the intersection.
Technicali, it is not yeld, but stop. You have to stop on red with green arrow. It seems it works similar to what US Red light mean.

Polish speed limits are most complicated over the Europe. You have sign at entrance like this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_lim ... d_2011.svg

it is clearly visible, that it depends on vehicle type, type of road etc.
City limits speed also depends on time of the day:
23-5 - 60km/h
5-23 - 50km/h

You can notice also a difference in speed in single / dual lane roads, express roads and motorways... wikipedia has a very nice table for this here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_Poland
Last edited by Wolfi on 19 Dec 2019 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Triple post merged, forum rules still apply in this topic...
cip

#8 Post by cip » 19 Dec 2019 11:38

xyzan wrote: 19 Dec 2019 11:19 In Poland this isn't a rule
it isn't a rule here neither, globaly is 50 km/h but on large roads 70 km/h is allowed whenever marked by signs
https://www.google.be/maps/@50.8347164, ... 6656?hl=en
I have quit SCS forum...
Some newbie driver

#9 Post by Some newbie driver » 19 Dec 2019 12:41

Wolfi wrote: 19 Dec 2019 10:36In Poland "green arrows" are super common on intersections with traffic lights.
In Spain that works in a different way.

There could be an ORANGE BLINKING arrow on a traffic light. This means that vehicles CAN do that turn even the main straight path light will be red. But, the orange blink warns drives that once they did the turn, there could be somebody with right of pass (mainly, pedestrians on a crossing and that they have in green their traffic light). If the turning arrow is green like on Wolfi's image, that means that vehicles MUST do the turn (the ones on the enabled lane for that turn).

By similar reasons, if there's a traffic light at the join of a street/road and a roundabout; for the vehicles exiting the roundabout the traffic light works as usual on Spain (fixed green, fixed orange, fixed red and to fixed green again). But for the vehicles that are going to enter the roundabout the traffic light shows TWO ALTERNATIVE BLINKING ORANGE lights instead of green. That's because the right of pass is always for vehicles inside roundabouts; so the vehicles entering them will never see a traffic light in green (that will mean they have the right of pass). So, the lights cycle on traffic lights just before a roundabout is: two orange lights blinking alternatively, fixed center orange light, fixed red and to alternative blinking ones again)

Regards
Last edited by Some newbie driver on 19 Dec 2019 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
cip

#10 Post by cip » 19 Dec 2019 12:53

you are right, SND! I forgot about the intermittent yellow/orange lights which are present here too, as well as before zebras. one single remark, green does not mean full priority, pedestrians crossing have green too and they have priority! best example is close to my work place: https://www.google.be/maps/@50.8534645, ... 6656?hl=en I cross here every day :D
I have quit SCS forum...

Return to “Euro Truck Simulator 2”