UK re-research tips

Omicron

UK re-research tips

#1 Post by Omicron » 05 Jan 2020 19:12

• Road signs in the UK use the Transport font. On signs with light text on a dark background, they use Transport Medium. On signs with dark text on a light background, they use Transport Heavy.
  • A- (and B-) road route numbers are written in Motorway when they should they be written in Transport (e.g. https://imgur.com/jd6FeuX). However, on motorway signs ONLY, ALL route numbers are written in Motorway.
  • Roadwork signs are written in a different font when it should be Transport (Heavy) and are on grey backgrounds when they should be on yellow backgrounds.
    • "End of roadworks" signs look like this when they should look like this or this. "Diwedd" (Welsh for "end") are only on signs used in Wales (where Welsh just happens to be spoken...)
    • "Average speed check" signs look like this when they should look like this (obviously change 40mph to 30mph)
Last edited by Omicron on 07 Jan 2020 17:32, edited 2 times in total.
Some newbie driver

Re: Issues with UK road signs

#2 Post by Some newbie driver » 05 Jan 2020 20:06

It's expected that UK map has a whole rework once this year (supposedly) SCS ends the German map rework.

You can place all those concerns and any other about UK in the ETS2 sub-section of the Public Search of the forum. Feel free to open an UK dedicated topis, as there isn't any right now.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

Re: UK re-research tips

#3 Post by Mohegan13 » 05 Jan 2020 20:25

Makes more sense if I just move it and rename it really. Then he isn't breaking the cross-posting rule. :P
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
Omicron

#4 Post by Omicron » 05 Jan 2020 22:06

How many rules have I broken within the last two days... :lol:
Anyways, I never thought that my post would be the first for such a topic, but (if you know me from the ProMods forum), it won't be long until it takes up an entire page :P
Janaff

#5 Post by Janaff » 06 Jan 2020 23:38

I have three initial ideas for places unrepresented on the old UK Truck Simulator-sourced map:

- If you want to extend the UK map west of Portsmouth, you could add Penzance as a small town. There is a small business park on the approach to the town (link), as well as a marina a short drive into it (link).

- Similarly, Inverness is a good idea if you want a city even further north than Aberdeen. The north side of the city has a large industrial estate and a small marina (link).

- You could include Scunthorpe Steelworks as a delivery destination (link). It is close enough to Grimsby that you could link it to that city for gameplay purposes at the game's scale. Trucks accessing the steelworks from the M180 typically come from junction 4 (link); there are several spots for trucks to park and rest at little lay-bys between the junction and the works (link 1) (link 2) (link 3) (link 4).
plinio.lisboa.br

#6 Post by plinio.lisboa.br » 07 Jan 2020 05:09

Very good this topic is necessary to find places, loads, to improve the British map leaving genuinely British with all its uniqueness.
alky_lee

#7 Post by alky_lee » 07 Jan 2020 16:35

Something that’s missing from the UK map is the Dartford river crossing on the M25. Tunnels northbound and bridge southbound. Underneath the bridge is Purfleet docks and the Grays/Thurrock industrial areas next to the Lakeside retail park. This is the major trucking destination for London. Down the road is the Ford works at Dagenham, which although not as big as it was, is still a major site.

Industry
Purfleet has been the site of a Unilever (formerly Van den Berghs & Jurgens) factory producing Stork, Flora, Bertolli, and ICBINB! margarine since 1917, reputed to be the largest in the world. It is the location of an Esso lubricants plant, a roll-on/roll-off ferry (RORO) terminal, and the head office of Carpetright, the UK's largest flooring company. It is also home to Scania GB Ltd's largest European workshop/office.

Purfleet Freight Terminal
Purfleet Freight Terminal is the closest Roll-on/Roll-off (RORO) ferry port to London. Operated by C.RO Ports, the 92-acre (37 ha) combined freight terminal handles 250,000 lorry trailers and ISO containers and tanks per year, and via a dedicated Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) facility, the import/export of 400,000 vehicles. There are four railway sidings on site, accessed via the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway to allow direct unloading/loading from ferry or lorry to rail. Scheduled ferry services are operated daily by sister-company Cobelfret Ferries to the Port of Zeebrugge, Belgium and the Port of Rotterdam, Netherlands.

I have also noticed that the Angel of the North landmark is absent.
Last edited by alky_lee on 14 Jan 2020 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
Janaff

#8 Post by Janaff » 07 Jan 2020 18:59

Notes on Emergency Services:

Police
Police cars models are generally SUV's or estate cars. The Jaguar currently in-game isn't an absurd choice, though I wouldn't really call it typical. If I could pick something to replace it, I'd probably go with a Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer.

Policing traffic is the responsibility of territorial police forces, of which there are 43 spread between England and Wales. Scotland and Northern Ireland each have a single, national-level police force. There is no strict national standard on patrol car liveries, and they can differ between individual cars even within a single police force. As such, it's probably best to create a generic livery, and make variations of it for each of the four nations.

England/Generic
Cars are either white or a light silver, with white being more common. The front of the car typically says 'POLICE', either forwards or mirrored. The side of the car can have markings covering it in its entirety (example), or with the bottom half left blank, sometimes with 'POLICE' written there (example). The rear of the car also typically has 'POLICE' written in red (example).
Usually the badge of the local territorial police force will be displayed on the sides of the car, though there are also examples where that is absent, so for a generic police car it is fine to ignore that detail.

Wales
Welsh police cars are similar to England, but are additionally bilingual, with the word 'HEDDLU' written above or alongside 'POLICE' on the front and rear of the car. The 'POLICE' text on the side of the car is typically absent in Wales as far as I can tell.

Scotland
Like Wales, bilingual cars are becoming more common in Scotland, with the Gaelic word 'POILEAS' written below 'POLICE' on the hood of the car (example). The logo of Police Scotland is also typically placed on the hood of the car above the text.

Northern Ireland
Similar to England. The logo of Police Service Northern Ireland is featured above the 'POLICE' marking on the hood (example 1) (example 2).

Ambulance
Most Ambulances in the UK are based on the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter, though I can testify that Ducato/Boxer/Relay based ambulances do exist. Notes on each country:

England
There are 10 Ambulance services on mainland England, as listed on Wikipedia. The logo and name of the services are typically listed on the side and rear of the Ambulance. The 'EMERGENCY AMBULANCE' text on the side and rear is common to all English Ambulances, and should be featured on a generic example.
'AMBULANCE' is typically written in reverse on the hood of the vehicle. The exception to this are London Ambulances, who instead have their logo on the hood, and 'LONDON AMBULANCE' text above the windshield (example), as well as the rear.

Other Nations
Helpfully, the other three nations are served by a single Ambulance service each:

The Welsh Ambulance Service use vehicles with text primarily in Welsh. (front) (rear) (side detail).

The Scottish Ambulance Service use white vehicles, rather than yellow (example 1) (example 2).

The Northern Ireland Ambulance Service use vehicles that are largely the same as those in England, just with relevant branding.
plinio.lisboa.br

#9 Post by plinio.lisboa.br » 07 Jan 2020 19:21

alky_lee wrote: 07 Jan 2020 16:35 Something that’s missing from the UK map is the Dartford river crossing on the M25. Tunnels northbound and bridge southbound. Underneath the bridge is Purfleet docks and the Grays/Thurrock industrial areas next to the Lakeside retail park. This is the major trucking destination for London. Down the road is the Ford works at Dagenham, which although not as big as it was, is still a major site.

I have also noticed that the Angel of the North landmark is absent.
MOD - ProMods. map version 2.45 ProMod. Promods before 1.36.ETS 2. Queen Elizabeth II Bridge. Dartford Crossing. Dartford river crossing on the M25. Tunnels
2019 Angel of the North landmark 2019

Sunset - Angel of the North landmark
Purfleet
Grays/West Thurrock RM20 300519
Janaff

#10 Post by Janaff » 08 Jan 2020 17:30

Angel of the North
To elaborate on the above, the Angel of the North is a large statue located just south of Newcastle next to the A1. It is a major local landmark and should not be missed in a revamp of the area.
Location, Street View

Stott Hall Farm
On the M62 east of Manchester, there is a portion where the motorway splits around a farmhouse and several sheep pastures. This is a memorable landmark on this road with a handful of urban legends attached to it.
Location, Street View

Humber Bridge
The Humber Bridge currently exists in-game, but unrepresented is its toll system. Current price for a 3 axle/7.5t+ vehicle (Class 4) is £12.00, or £10.80 if you have an automated pass. At the barrier is a dot matrix display that would be a great detail to have. This video shows a truck using the toll booth; the sign reads:

CLASS 4
PRICE £12.00

CASH ACCEPTED

HAVE A SAFE
JOURNEY

Another detail is the rail line that runs underneath the north side of the bridge, and is also clearly visible from the A63 (street view). Passenger trains that use this line currently are:
Hull Trains (Class 802, render, IRL image, brand-less livery)
Northern (Class 158, example, Northern's livery) or (Class 170, example)
TransPennine Express (Class 185, example, livery)

Return to “Euro Truck Simulator 2”