Continuing (pokračovanie)

MilanLoduha

Continuing (pokračovanie)

#1 Post by MilanLoduha » 17 Aug 2020 18:50

Dobrý deň ako milovník hry hunting unlimited či už 2008 alebo 2010 sa Vás chcem opýtať či bude nejaký comeback alebo pokračovanie :D ?
Hello as a lover of the game hunting unlimited whether 2008 or 2010 I want to ask you if there will be any comeback or sequel :D ?
NmanMETA

Re: Continuing (pokračovanie)

#2 Post by NmanMETA » 28 Dec 2021 23:53

I haven't found any evidence of any kind of sequel/continuation. The last Hunting Unlimited title was Hunting Unlimited 2011 but from what I can gather, SCS didn't have much (if any) hand in creating that one.

ARB Studios did 2011, they didn't make a 2012 version and it doesn't appear that SCS had interest in resuming it either. And frankly, other than this humble section of the forum, I've failed to see any acknowledgement of the series from them in the last 4 or 5 years. They took down the original website and now Tournaments are a thing of the past; now even somebody who stumbles on the 08/09/10 HU games can't try them.

By far the biggest action related to Hunting Unlimited is its modding community and even it is pretty sparse, in large part thanks to all of the proprietary and largely outdated formats used to make the game.

The maps function on LND models, and the only apps I've found that can edit those are very outdated home planning software- the one I'm experimenting with is Total 3d Home, Landscape and Deck, a very limited app that released in 2003, and I can't even import maps into it; I'm still experimenting with that though.

My other weird undertaking was adding more animals, which function on .pma models and .dds textures. .dds textures can be edited easily enough in Paint.NET but the models, in my experience, can only be imported to Zmodeler 2, and doing that can mess with texturing paths. Upon trying to load custom made animals, the game crashes when loading and to this very moment I'm stumped as to how to fix it.

The most successful group by far in terms of modding these games was HU Corner, but their website has been extinct for years, and while their PowerPack is still available on their Facebook page, they've mostly just done weapons/scopes and some items. They even managed a completely customized target range but it's simplistic and I'm still not sure how they did it at all. I've tried numerous avenues of reaching out to them with no success, I know the person in charge of it was named Itamar Lourenco based on a Wayback Machine Archive (a resource that modding this game has made me plenty familiar with), but I'm not confident on taking potshots at random people named Itamar Lourenco on Facebook and hoping it's the right guy- he himself has either completely abandoned the game, or found himself in trouble of some kind. In either case, we're on our own with more HU content as of now.

With any luck he'll respond to me but I feel like the future of HU as a series relies on modders, as opposed to new releases. ARB took the game in a way different direction, and SCS either didn't feel it was within reason to take the game a step back, didn't have the authority to do so, or felt that the series just wasn't going to be able to evolve to be better as PC components got better. In that regard, I could absolutely see SCS giving up on it as, let's be real, they're far more popular for ATS/ETS games and that's wisely where they put their priorities. Even visually, those games were noticeably more polished than the later HU games. ARB jacked up the graphics but the overall sandbox nature of the game was virtually non existent, and I think that chased a lot of the fans away that enjoyed the free-form nature of both free hunts and the missions.

My hot take is that SCS should've tried to give the series a shot with more modern hardware, as they already had a generally enjoyable formula in place, I just think it could have used more depth and polish- had the game been given that chance, I feel it could have become extremely popular.

And personally, the graphics aren't even a bother, what frustrates me is that they could have gone way further in terms of locations to hunt, and more animals. Obviously at the time there was limitations on how much they could put in one game, but being that that was such a fun formula to play with, I will be 100% here and tell you that if they released HU 2010 with like 24 animals, a new slate of missions and 2 or 3 new maps, I would pay $60 for it on day one. I just really don't think they have any interest in continuing it, at this point; continuing a series that's been dormant for 11 years would be a little bit... odd of them, especially considering that out of everyone who worked on that game, I bet you could count the amount of those people still with SCS on one hand.
WE'RE *THIS* CLOSE!

Return to “Hunting Unlimited Series”