Profile isolation / asset caching issue

J.Random

Profile isolation / asset caching issue

#1 Post by J.Random » 26 Oct 2019 05:12

1. Your "Process" doesn't really apply here, so bear with me.
2. This is NOT about any specific mod or even about stock game. It's about how the game deals with multiple profiles.

When switching profile, the game may fail/neglect to unload certain assets or reset the cache (if they're being cached). This leads to a situation when after switching from stock to modded profile, player will still get stock assets, and vice versa, switching from modded profile to a stock one will leave mod assets in memory, being used instead of stock assets. To reproduce:
1. Have two profiles, one of them stock. Mod the second one with one of the sound mods (either engine sound pack from Kriechbaum or one of the numerous sound fixes packs).
2. Load the modded profile. Click "Drive", check the engine sounds, asphalt/wind sounds, sound of the air pressure relief valve, refueling sounds, all that.
3. Just to be sure, restart the game, load the modded profile again. Check the sounds.
4. Exit into the main menu (click "Profiles") and select your stock profile without restarting the game. You will notice that some sounds will change to their stock versions, while others will remain modded. For example, after switching from modded profile (Kriechbaum's engine sounds with tyre sound addon + sound fixes pack (don't remember the version, but it's from the workshop so should be the latest)) to stock profile, I've got stock engine sounds, modded retarder sound, stock engine brake sound, modded pressure relief and air brake sounds, modded tyre sounds and refueling sound from the sound fixes pack (with periodic "ding") but without the modded "full tank" ending (tank cap, door slam, keys in the ignition, etc.).

TO REITERATE: sound mods make the issue immediately obvious, that's why I picked them as an example! I don't think that the type of the asset matters, be it sound, texture, or some configuration unit. Observed behaviour suggests that either game caches assets and doesn't clean the cache properly when switching profiles, or there's a deeper issue with memory management. It may also be a Linux-specific issue, although I kinda doubt it. Even though you "mount" game bundles and mods as "filesystems", I don't think they're governed by OS as actual filesystems, so FS caching shouldn't influence them(?).

At the very least you might want to add to your "Process" that if player experiences an issue in a modded game and wants to reproduce it in a stock profile, he should exit to main menu, select stock profile, then restart the game, select stock profile again and only then try and reproduce the issue.
Drive Safely

Re: Profile isolation / asset caching issue

#2 Post by Drive Safely » 28 Oct 2019 22:45

I can confirm this caching issue is on 1.36 as well, and it happens on Windows too.

Return to “Bugs 1.35”