[EN-GB] Cargo Names

Mohegan13
Global moderator

[EN-GB] Cargo Names

#1 Post by Mohegan13 » 18 Jan 2020 10:56

"Dry Milk" - "Dried Milk" or "Powdered Milk" would be better. It may be a regional thing, but here "Powdered Milk" would be the most common usage.

"Medicaments" - Not sure if this is actually used in the game. But "Medicines" or "Vaccines" would be better. I honestly had to Google that just to know what it was. :lol:

"Dryers" - "Tumble Dryers" would be better. Dryer on its own would only really be used in casual conversation where it is known specifically what is being referred to. You wouldn't want to try and put your clothes in a hair dryer. ;)

"Chicken Meat" - "Chicken" would suffice. You could always preface with Raw or Frozen to donate its state.

"Young Seedlings" - "Young" is superfluous.

ATS - I only spotted 3, so I will just stick them here. The pluralisation does not need the S on the end.

"Dry Fruits"
"Frozen Fruits"
"Fruits"
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
bobgrey1997

Re: [EN-GB] Cargo Names

#2 Post by bobgrey1997 » 18 Jan 2020 11:08

Is Medicaments even an actual word?
Perhaps the 3 ATS cargoes should be:
"Dried Fruit"
"Frozen Fruit"
"Fruit"

Perhaps rather than "Dry" or "Dried", it should be Dehydrated. Dry would imply that there is no moisture on its surface, while dehydrated implies that there is no moisture in it at all. The reason I say this is because normal fruit is dry, but still has moisture inside it, while "dried" fruit is actually dehydrated.
daniel_bel

#3 Post by daniel_bel » 18 Jan 2020 14:33

Médicament is french for medicine or medication.
Domin Illum Mea
Born before Arpanet, playin' that way
Do you really believe Charles touched his nose?
bobgrey1997

#4 Post by bobgrey1997 » 18 Jan 2020 19:35

So, a Czech company uses an French word in place of an English one in an English Localization?
Odd.
Max
SCS Software

#5 Post by Max » 21 Jan 2020 21:27

not that odd. french based word core is apparently used in more languages (including many slavic ones). and it most probably looked english enough to original author. i will check with proper dictionary.

btw: you can try to find how many french word got into english in past and no one does not know now. i know about few czech ones .. ;)
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
daniel_bel

#6 Post by daniel_bel » 22 Jan 2020 08:59

Since the british monarchy was for some time originating from the duke of Normandy, no wonder...
Domin Illum Mea
Born before Arpanet, playin' that way
Do you really believe Charles touched his nose?
Steve Pitts

#7 Post by Steve Pitts » 26 Feb 2020 09:42

May I also propose that Almond probably ought to be Almonds, since they are very rarely sold as single items (unlike say Cauliflower, where you could reasonably argue the toss either way) - this might apply to American English too, but you'd need a few native speakers to confirm that.

As to the French words and spellings creeping into English, I'm not sure we can blame the Monarchy (which for the current lineage has its roots primarily in Germany anyway) because many of the differences between American English and English relate to spelling of words to more closely match the French (espeically the -our vs. -or as in colour) and that has obviously only happened over the past two centuries!?
Cheers, Steve

Return to “English (UK)”