Can not launch ETS2 64 bit in normal/DX11 mode after Windows updated from Win8 to Win10

colemanv

Can not launch ETS2 64 bit in normal/DX11 mode after Windows updated from Win8 to Win10

#1 Post by colemanv » 07 Apr 2020 10:19

Game version: 1.36.2.55

game.log.txt
https://pastebin.com/embed_iframe/SAGN9PKe
game.crash.txt
https://pastebin.com/embed_iframe/ALd2pBbN

Always Reproducible
Win10 64bit

---ISSUE IS SOLVED - HERE IS HOW---

Turns out that due to the operating system switching from Win8 to Win10 there were some display settings changed during the upgrading process and when going to the Displays settings in Win10 where it shows the two displays I've got (Not the old windows Control Panel but the new minimalistic crap design) I had to click on my left display as Nr1 even though it've been showing 1 all this time, BUT apparently for Win10 that isn't enough. You have to click on it so it becomes HIGHLIGHTED and then close the window so it finally knows what the issue is.

I've arrived to this conclusion after trying to play multiple "new" games I've never had the time to play started up on my secondary display with a limitation on resolution, even if I started them in windowed mode and dragged them on my main display. After I figured out the reason for this odd behavior, with the new settings I launched ETS2 in 64bit DrectX11 mode and it worked.

I hope if anyone reading this encountered any similar errors my journey to a solution will provide help some way!
Last edited by colemanv on 20 Apr 2020 15:33, edited 3 times in total.
Tom
SCS Software

Re: Can not launch ETS2 64 bit in normal/DX11 mode after Windows updated from Win8 to Win10

#2 Post by Tom » 07 Apr 2020 11:46

backup profiles and stuff you want to keep from -Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2 folder.
then delete everything inside this ets folder.
try to run game. if it does not work. try to reinstall game. base only is enough. no need to download dlc's just yet.

such windows update is known to cause weird problems randomly. so who knows what will help.
colemanv

Re: Can not launch ETS2 64 bit in normal/DX11 mode after Windows updated from Win8 to Win10

#3 Post by colemanv » 07 Apr 2020 21:41

Tom wrote: 07 Apr 2020 11:46 backup profiles and stuff you want to keep from -Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2 folder.
then delete everything inside this ets folder.
try to run game. if it does not work. try to reinstall game. base only is enough. no need to download dlc's just yet.

such windows update is known to cause weird problems randomly. so who knows what will help.
Hey Tom, thanks for getting back to me.

I've done as you asked.
Backed up my profiles and config just in case, deleted everything within the folder, attempted to run the game and It didn't start with the same error message (I can upload a screenshot of it tomorrow, but it is in Hungarian, so I don't know how much help that'd be)

I have uninstalled the game, manually deleted the whole folder from both steam and from the My Documents folder, then re-downloaded and installed again.
Upon launching I've got the same error.

Just as experiment, I am currently in the process of downloading ETS onto my laptop, which was updated the exact same way from Win8 to Win10 overnight, just to see if the error shows up here too and will post results here once I got something to show.

Any further ideas for the time being?
Tom
SCS Software

#4 Post by Tom » 08 Apr 2020 07:16

just logs after your reinstall.
game log + crash log. as you did in first post. to see if there is any change.
colemanv

#5 Post by colemanv » 08 Apr 2020 10:31

Tom wrote: 08 Apr 2020 07:16 just logs after your reinstall.
game log + crash log. as you did in first post. to see if there is any change.
Sure thing.
Here are the logs as per your request:

game.log.txt
https://pastebin.com/TGzmQvX9

game.crash.txt
https://pastebin.com/BQTe961V

also as I promised last time here is the screenshot of the error message (in Hungarian)
https://imgur.com/oa10fJE

UPDATE:
Meanwhile I managed to test it on my laptop.
The laptop was upgraded from Win8 to Win10 the same exact way, and ETS2 does launch in DX11 and OpenGL mode too, without a problem.
Tom
SCS Software

#6 Post by Tom » 14 Apr 2020 14:26

i really do not have much better advice than to try reinstalling any part which take part in running game.
as directX, steam, gpu drivers and such... there is something which did not survived system update and its really impossible to say what.
your laptop kinda shows that.
colemanv

#7 Post by colemanv » 14 Apr 2020 16:51

Tom wrote: 14 Apr 2020 14:26 i really do not have much better advice than to try reinstalling any part which take part in running game.
as directX, steam, gpu drivers and such... there is something which did not survived system update and its really impossible to say what.
your laptop kinda shows that.
Hey there!

Well I've tried all of those things, but without positive results. At least one of the later steps resulted with the OpenGL version looking playable.
Maybe it'll work with DirectX 11 again after 1.37 gets rolled out? :P

BTW you can see the complete history of my struggles on this matter here (updated it every step on the way):
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=283245&p=1325558#p1325558
Madkine
Global moderator

#8 Post by Madkine » 14 Apr 2020 21:51

Given the issue is largely (completely) on your PC, a game update is unlikely to resolve it.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
colemanv

#9 Post by colemanv » 20 Apr 2020 15:30

---ISSUE IS SOLVED - HERE IS HOW---

Turns out that due to the operating system switching from Win8 to Win10 there were some display settings changed during the upgrading process and when going to the Displays settings in Win10 where it shows the two displays I've got (Not the old windows Control Panel but the new minimalistic crap design) I had to click on my left display as Nr1 even though it've been showing 1 all this time, BUT apparently for Win10 that isn't enough. You have to click on it so it becomes HIGHLIGHTED and then close the window so it finally knows what the issue is.

I've arrived to this conclusion after trying to play multiple "new" games I've never had the time to play started up on my secondary display with a limitation on resolution, even if I started them in windowed mode and dragged them on my main display. After I figured out the reason for this odd behavior, with the new settings I launched ETS2 in 64bit DrectX11 mode and it worked.

I hope if anyone reading this encountered any similar errors my journey to a solution will provide help some way!

Return to “Bugs 1.36”