18-Speed Transmission in Automatic Mode with Empty Trailer Bug

NJC2

18-Speed Transmission in Automatic Mode with Empty Trailer Bug

#1 Post by NJC2 » 18 Jun 2020 20:39

I haven't used an owned trailer in a while, and I don't remember this happening before. I was driving my W700 with 625HP Cat engine and 18-speed trans doing heavy hauling. I decided to use my own trailers for a while. When driving with just the truck with no trailer, it starts in A5 and it handles it just fine. When I attached to my empty trailer, the transmission now wants to start in A8. It struggles to accelerate in such a high gear, and then the transmission shifts down to A2 and behaves as if it's heavily loaded. If I come to a stop, it tries to use A8 again to start.

I have the settings set to real automatic, and I've tried it with adaptive mode on and off, and it makes no difference. I have a button mapped to switch to manual shifting and generally shift manually when loaded, and switch back to automatic for parking and driving empty. The shifting logic of real automatic mode can be annoying because no matter what load, it seems to want to use A2 to start and shift every other gear, but with 625HP, I can easily start in 3rd or 4th and skip 2 gears for light-medium loads. When pulling an empty trailer, using manual shifting, the truck has no problem starting in 4th, and shifting 4-8-12-16-18. In automatic mode it tries starting in 8, then down to 2 and shifts 2-4-6-8-10-12-16-18.

I thought it might have just been a bug with that truck, engine and transmission combination, so I tried some of my other trucks with the 18-speed, and it behaves the same. Depending on the truck's power and weight, it uses 4th or 5th to start when empty, but with an empty trailer, it tries to use 7th or 8th to start. It only does this when the trailer is empty. Once it has cargo in/on it, it behaves normal. I also tried it with several different trailers, all with the same results. It also did it with a frac tank trailer, which I believe is just an empty trailer anyway.

Return to “Bugs 1.37”